CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Is the food better on formal nights - Diamond Princess? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/352495-food-better-formal-nights-diamond-princess.html)

oingoboingo June 19th, 2008 11:07 PM

Is the food better on formal nights - Diamond Princess?

We're trying to decide if we want to bring dressier clothes for those two nights, or just go the buffet when it's formal night. (We're a very casual family). However, if the food is considerably nicer on those nights, it might be worth cleaning up a little more.

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between regular nights and formal nights, as far as food?

Donna June 20th, 2008 05:43 AM

I would have to say, yes, they usually have an outstanding menu on those evenings, I wouldn't want to miss it.

lenora516 June 20th, 2008 06:25 AM

I agree the menu is always reflective of the "elegant" ambiance.

The formal nights are always my favorite, sitting in a beautiful dining room surrounded by people dressed in their best and sampling foods that I do not eat at home. It is like being transported to another time!

Bring one dressy outfit and go to the first formal night, if you enjoy it than you could always where the same outfit again no one will notice or care !

Enjoy ! Vacation is a time to do what you don't normally do all year round!

Lenore

Rev22:17 June 20th, 2008 06:04 PM

Re: Is the food better on formal nights - Diamond Princess?

oingoboingo,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
We're trying to decide if we want to bring dressier clothes for those two nights, or just go the buffet when it's formal night. (We're a very casual family). However, if the food is considerably nicer on those nights, it might be worth cleaning up a little more.

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between regular nights and formal nights, as far as food?

Yes, Princess always steps the cuisine up a couple notches on the "formal" evenings.

Princess also holds very elegant -- and very memorable -- special events on the "formal" evenings that really do require "formal" attire. I don't want to spoil the surprise by disclosing the details, but I'm sure that you won't want to miss them!

Norm.

megs June 21st, 2008 06:42 PM

the only memorable dishes from my cruise were served on formal nights... there was this crab quiche that was my favorite edible of the entire trip... and also the king crab legs...

as a side note i am also in love with hot chocolate with bailey's now mmmmm...

philberg July 18th, 2008 12:49 AM

My son-in-law had BOTH lobster and Filet Mignon plates on a formal night. It's fantastic and all you can eat everytime anyway. It's worth packing a dress and suit.

shining gem August 8th, 2008 05:13 PM

Great tucker!

We love the formal nights when the food is just fabulous, much better than in the buffet. Don't stress about it, just stick on some nice clobber and enjoy!! As the previous poster says, try it once and if you don't like it give it a miss the next time.

loves2cruz August 16th, 2008 01:21 AM

Just bring a little simple black dress and dress it up with a little jewelry and perhaps a scarve and you will be fine on formal nights. One night wear it with a scarf/sash the other night not. Men would be fine with a suit of course, but okay with a pair of slacks and a sports jacket or blazer and tie. Enjoy the formal nights. Food is good and very nice atmosphere.

DeepSpace August 16th, 2008 02:24 AM

The menu for the formal nights are always better. Once you get all dressed up, you will feel great, and the food will taste even better.

Have fun.