Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Passenger

Default Our trip experience recently out of NYC

So I figure let me make a post after our recent trip.
We sailed out of NYC aboard Caribbean Princess
The only complaint that I have about the Brooklyn piers is that there is always chaos no coordination. We had a mini suite, we where greeted by a wonderful cabin Stewart “Bienvenido” who was awesome.
The room had a little smelly reminisce of cigarette smoke, but the smell quickly dissipated. We have sailed before and just last year we where aboard the same vessel out of Fort Lauderdale. But this time there was something of a different feeling aboard our trip. I would say this time around the ship was sold out there was just people everywhere practically anytime.
We tried several times to go to the pools @ movie under the stars and the other pool which is where they have music playing several times and could not find a single beach chair so we did not get to enjoy the pool. Now I know that there is the Lotus SPA pool and the other mini adult pool but those where pretty packed as well. This left us a little disappointed but not upset there’s plenty to do.
Now onto getting something to eat! I think the ship has the best Milkshakes and Pizza hands down. But the problem here was there was nowhere to sit we either had to stand and constantly look to see if anyone would get up so we can sit somewhere and eat.
At the buffet there was plenty of seating but during Mexican Food Buffet there was a line and this time it was from 2pm-4pm which was shorter then last time on the ship. So you had to be there early to get food and a seat if not stand in what appeared as a train line of people it was pretty funny some people started dancing in line.
And well before I come close to writing a book here what is up with “BERMUDA”? There was nothing off the pier this time, no souvenirs or anything good thing we took the ferry over to Hamilton and visited the shops. VERY DISAPOINTED WITH BERMUDA! And last we had several incidents where it is clearly announced by the captain please do not throw anything off the side of the ship as it might get sucked back in and cause a fire. We had someone throw down there cigarette and burn a whole through our chair so we complained, but it did not end there next my fiancé is sitting out on the deck and someone tossed down a big chunk of ice and almost hit her with it we once again we complained, next someone tossed out a big glob of gum. It was like non stop . People where rude during this trip we would call for an elevator the elevator stopped the doors would open and as we walked to the elevators they closed the doors things like this make me not want to sail out of NYC simply because of the people.
When we took this ship out of Florida my GOD was this awesome trip no complaints very friendly everyone gets along no problems at all. This time it was issues. Overall we love Princess Cruises and we still made the best of it and we had our fun and plan on sailing again with them.
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Passenger

* I left out one important thing I am diabetic and just about anything I had to eat increased my blood sugar to high levels. Also we would suffer from from upset stomach, and frequent trips to "EL BANO".

But the interesting thing is when we ate off the ship at restaurants in the islands we did not have this problem my sugar was normal. So I am asking you fine folks is there something being added to the food? MSG?
the headaches we where getting where bad.
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Janet,
Nice to hear your cabin steward, was a bright spot, and the smoke aroma disipated.

Trimminghams, a large department store in Bermuda has closed, and I think another major one, did as well. Some news I heard being in retail, the people who closed the store for the company, may use the real estate to open other stores, so things might change for future shoppers, if the plans come to fruition/

Kuki, on is last cruise, had debris falling on top of them too, what up with that!!!

With every cruise, I think we learn from it, and make adjustments for the next....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Oh I am sure we will visit Bermuda again on another Cruise through Princess. They do need to add something off the dock it was dead.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Passenger

we are also cruising out of NYC on Caribbean Princess in about 2 weeks. We are prepared for a different experience than usual in the Caribbean. Any cruise that originates in NYC is going to be loaded up with NYCers. We love NYC, but let's be real, there are alot of cranky, rude, loud people that can ruin an experience - and I sense many of them will get on the cruise ship so that they can complain to whomever is within ear shot. My best story about an NYC cruise is one lady who came up to me and shouted "WHERES THE BINGO????". I said, do you see a name tag on me? No - because I don't work here and I don't work for you this week!
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Hehe but you are in for a wild ride this boat was a trip.
never seen so many festive people in one centralized location. They do not adhere to any rules let alone consideration for others that are trying to enjoy vacation. Closing the elevator doors on us was enough to annoy anyone. Then the incidents in the balcony area. But come on now the trip was not bad anything getting away from the everyday is paradise and we had a great time we just love Princess cruises. We went to an art auction for the 1st time and purchased two art pieces cant wait till they arrive.

But you know we met this really nice lady on the boat she was talking to us so thats one good thing a really nice person to talk to.

and when we where waiting at nyc to come off the boat we met another couple from verona nj who where 1st timers and where very nice. Meeting people like this at random makes it more fun.

* nobody has responded to my other question what are they putting on the food onboard?
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Admiral

We have cruise on the Caribbean Princess, we have cruised out of NYC (Brooklyn on the Crown), we have had open and closed balconies and I am a diabetic but we never had any of the problems you experienced. Hopefully it will be the only time for you. With regards to the food, I always do better when cruising, usually lose 1-3 pounds but never gain weight. I guess I just watch what I eat, choose wisely and eat healthier.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Passenger

We are on WW and I had lost close to 20lbs before the cruise but gained like 8 pounds I know I am not supposed to have certain things but I took my medicine and had a little bit Like pizza etc..

But this was here and there.

even when I ate something healthy boom sugar level reached 293 one night from eating seafood. Let me give you an example I can have a mcdonalds ice cream cone,and a big mac meal lets say and my sugar would not exceed 160. everyday eating healthy my levels are from 93-128 everyday any time. my Dr. has told me to stop taking the insulin and just take the oral pill.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Were you on the 6/13 sailing? I was also. Bermuda was worst because we arrived on a Sunday- most everything is closed on Sunday.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Passenger

nah june 4th thru 13th
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Passenger

*UPDATE GOD WILLINGLY THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR LAST & FINAL TIME OUT OF NYC MOVING TO FLORIDA BABY FT LAUDERDALE HERE WE COME
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Did I read this wrong
I am diabetic , milkshakes , pizza , high blood sugar
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

i was on the june 22nd sailing and had a great time

embarkation was great, no waiting at all, debarkation was around a 30-45 min wait with express walk off @ 730

we had an inside cabin (for the first time) and it was a lot bigger/better than we expected

the food was great and i didn't have any issues with finding a table or big lines in the buffet or dining rooms without reservations

there were a lot of people poolside and finding a lounge chair was pretty hard some of the days though. sometimes the pools were packed, and sometimes they weren't

almost everyone i met on the ship was very friendly, guess you just stuck with a bad crowd, not all new yorkers are a**holes

the teen club was staffed by the most unfriendly people, but the younger kids programs looked like fun

we had one of the engines break (out of 6 total) and missed a couple of hours off the bermuda port, but we got a $75 credit per person to make up for it, great deal in my opinion

it was a great time

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock951
Did I read this wrong
I am diabetic , milkshakes , pizza , high blood sugar
This was not everyday and @ home I can have slice of pizza and my sugar does not go up. I am on a pill only at home no insulin it's well under control. Just at the boat alot of the things I ate even things that where healthy made it spike up example Talipia with a little mashed potato.

I can eat this at home anytime and nothing happens heck I can even go to dairy queeen and get a small cone and if any that would make my sugar go to 135 no higher