Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg, VA
Posts: 459
Default 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Booked on Grand Princess for 14 days cruise 2-16 Jan 09. The Princess "Cruise Answer Book" (great and very helpful document) says that on a 14-20 day cruise there are 3 Formal Nights. Are there any sets days that these formal nights are? Other cruises we have been on had a formal night the 2nd night of the cruise and the next to last night of the cruise. If there was a 3rd night it was on an at sea day that made it easier to get ready for dinner. When we cruise we make up a dailey schedule and hang it on the closet door. That makes it easier to decide what to wear and what to be prepared for. Any answers will be helpful.
Thanks, Thom
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Irish Shark's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,592
Default Re: 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief
Other cruises we have been on had a formal night the 2nd night of the cruise and the next to last night of the cruise. If there was a 3rd night it was on an at sea day that made it easier to get ready for dinner.
What you said here is correct.
__________________



SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
DeepSpace's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: My House
Posts: 333
Default

Yes that is correct. The cruise answer book is a very good source of information.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Thom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Booked on Grand Princess for 14 days cruise 2-16 Jan 09. The Princess "Cruise Answer Book" (great and very helpful document) says that on a 14-20 day cruise there are 3 Formal Nights. Are there any sets days that these formal nights are? Other cruises we have been on had a formal night the 2nd night of the cruise and the next to last night of the cruise. If there was a 3rd night it was on an at sea day that made it easier to get ready for dinner. When we cruise we make up a dailey schedule and hang it on the closet door. That makes it easier to decide what to wear and what to be prepared for. Any answers will be helpful.
The first "formal" evening is usually on the second evening of the cruise, and the last "formal" evening is usually the next to last evening of the cruise. Ships usually deviate from this custom only if they are in port into the evening hours on either of these evenings.

On cruises with three "formal" evenings, the second "formal" evening is somewhat less predictable. They usually try to hold it on a day near the midpoint of the cruise when the ship is at sea or, failing that, when the ship leaves port no later than 4:00 PM, if there is one.

You probably will receive a schedule of evening dress in your cabin at embarkation. If not, you can ask which evenings will be "formal" at the Purser's Desk.

BTW, if you are a Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, your "dinner dress white jacket" uniform would be perfect for the "formal" evenings.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg, VA
Posts: 459
Default 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Norm,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am a retired Navy Master Chief. I sure wish I could still fit into my dress whites. But the last time I wore them was at my retirement in 1991 after 30 years service. Needless to say I was in a lot better shape then I am now But thanks for the comment!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Thom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, I am a retired Navy Master Chief. I sure wish I could still fit into my dress whites. But the last time I wore them was at my retirement in 1991 after 30 years service. Needless to say I was in a lot better shape then I am now But thanks for the comment!
Which was your rating?

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg, VA
Posts: 459
Default 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Norm,

Started out as a YN and then became an Intelligence Specialist when that rate was started in the 70's.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM
DeepSpace's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: My House
Posts: 333
Default

I never met a Master Chief before. I was a sargent in the USMC.

I would like to hear some stories of your adventures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: 14 Day Cruise - Formal Nights?

Master Chief,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Started out as a YN and then became an Intelligence Specialist when that rate was started in the 70's.
Sounds interesting. Very, very interesting.

And I know better than to ask questions about that line of work!

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

DeepSpace,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I never met a Master Chief before. I was a sargent in the USMC.

I would like to hear some stories of your adventures.
A Navy Master Chief is equivalent to a Marine Sargeant Major. In a conversation with a Master Chief, even the ship's Captain usually has the last word. In fact, all four of them -- "Very well, Master Chief!"

Norm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
14, carnival, cruise, day, days, evenings, formal, golden, grand, night, nights, princess, transatlantic, trip

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many formal nights on 9 day cruise? worthew8 Princess Cruise Lines 2 March 21st, 2010 06:14 PM
formal nights on 7 day cruise johnsmom Carnival Cruise Lines 3 November 2nd, 2008 07:00 PM
How many formal nights on a 5 nt. 6 day cruise? ButterflyGirlNC Cruise Dress / Packing 2 February 23rd, 2006 03:34 PM
How many formal nights on 11 day cruise CJL Ask CruiseMates Staff 3 September 29th, 2005 12:23 PM
Formal nights on 5 day cruise? Scampy Carnival Cruise Lines 5 January 1st, 2002 04:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1