Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default Emerald Princess Cruise, Part 2

Emerald Princess, Part 2

Embarkation Day, continued......

After our champagne toast to the cruise ahead, we proceeded to unpack.
Our cabin afforded lots of storage space, with drawers, shelf space and a large closet as well. Mirrored doors hid more shelf space as well as a room safe.

By now it was late afternoon, and time for the requisite Muster Drill.
As I have seen recently, this drill was held in various indoor facilities; bars, lounges and public areas.
Most of these areas afford adequate seating, which is much more pleasant than being herded into rows on the open decks in the heat.
Of course we each had to pose for a lifejacket photo!

Following the Muster Drill was the "Treasure Chest" Sailaway Party, held at Neptune's Pool, Deck 15.
This is where all the cruise entertainment staff is introduced, the live band Exotique plays, and dance participation is encouraged, in order to receive raffle tickets for the "Treasure Chest" of prizes.
I was the first and only one on the dance floor for awhile, hence receiving a few raffle tickets, and after others joined me,we all got raffle tickets after each song.
The very first raffle prize was won by yours truly - a bottle of champagne! What a way to start off a cruise!

The Sailaway Party was fun, the music good, but I felt it was a little flat; the cruise staff failed to get a lot of participation, despite the prizes, and it seemed most people were more interested in hanging over the rails watching our sailaway as well as the 7 other ships in port with us that day.
Of course I realize watching ships is just as fascinating to some people, and I took lots of photos of the various ships in port with us, some of which followed us all week!

HAL Eurodam

Carnival Freedom

MSC Orchestra and Ruby Princess

Soon, it was dinner time, and once cleaned up, we headed to one of the 2 alternative dining rooms on board, the Micelangelo. There was no wait, and we were seated at a table for 8, with 6 strangers, who were all very friendly, and experienced cruisers, so conversation was not a problem!

Our first meal on board (chicken breast for me, and a chili dish for James) was excellent, but we felt the service was impersonal and very rushed.
My biggest disappointment was that the Love Boat Dream, my all-time favourite dessert, seemed much smaller than I remembered, but it tasted just as good!

After dinner, we needed to walk off that excellent meal, so we wandered around the ship, familiarizing ourselves with the various bars, lounges, and entertainment areas, as well as visiting the shops. There were the usual jewelry shop, fragrance shop (I stay far away from that one), the high-end expensive gift shop, as well as the basic clothing and souvenir shop. I restricted myself this trip and bought only postcards, and fridge magnets.
Below the shops, in the beautiful Piazza gathering place midship, there was a female string quartet playing, and during the week they were often there, along with a very good pianist on a white baby grand piano.
The entertainment lent a refined air to the Emerald Princess, and was quite enjoyable.

Music Trivia was advertised in Club Fusion at 9:45, so we went in hopes that we would meet up with Phyllis or Paul, who I knew to be Trivia fanatics. They weren't there, but we did manage to put together a team, and almost won.
"Almost" but not quite, became a trivia pattern for most of the week!

The Welcome Aboard Show was held in the Princess Theatre at 10:30, and we were treated to a short performance by the excellent Emerald Princess singers and dancers, as well as a good comedy act by Cary Long, and a comedy-magician named Jeff Peterson.
It looked like a promising week for entertainment, but by this point we were pretty tired, so it was off to bed, but not before ordering room service for a midnight snack! Oh, how easy it is to be spoiled on a cruise!

Stay tuned for Part 3, Princess Cays.....

donna
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Beginner

These pics are great! And you two look like you know how to have fun! We are also booked on the Emeralds Transatlantic Tour on the Dolphin Deck in a mini! So I am just very happy to view these pics. Thanks again for having them here.