Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to BlueeyedBabyx3
Default Island Princess Jun 22, Vancouver to Alaska?

How anyone ever taken the Vancouver to Alaska cruise? Is so, do you have any tips on thrings to bring or any advice at all.
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Captain

Default Re: Island Princess Jun 22, Vancouver to Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueeyedBabyx3
How anyone ever taken the Vancouver to Alaska cruise? Is so, do you have any tips on thrings to bring or any advice at all.
Hi BlueeyedBabyx3,

We have been on the Island Princess to Alaaka twice before and it is one of our favorite ships. We are returning in a few weeks on the Island for another relaxing Alaskan cruise.

A few things to bring are binoculars, rain gear and try to dress in layers. Since there are very few electrical outlets in most cabins, a short extension cord with multiple outlets will come in handy if you have a lot of batteries you be needing to charge, for cameras, computers and such.
I always tell people to lay all their clothes and all the money they are planning to take on a cruise to Alaska and then take half the clothes and twice the money!

I can suggest a few of my personal favorite things to do, but there are so many choices that it just depends on what your personal interests are.

Ketchikan: Not to be missed is Creek Street, which is just a few blocks from the cruise dock. Totem Heritage Center and Saxman Native Village is also very interesting. There is also a public bus that runs around the whole city and takes about an hour for a round trip. It is a great way to rest after a hard day of shopping and sightseeing.

Juneau: The Red Dog Saloon is right at the beginning of town as you leave the pier. It is a fantastic place to see. I don't even drink but always like to stop in just to have a soft drink. Mendenhall Glacier is just a short distance from the pier and there are busses that will take you there for something like $5 or $6. There is also a salmon fish hatchery there, but I don't know if it is the right season for hatching fish. It is a bit pricey but a whale watching tour is very interesting and also a helicopter glacier landing tour is also a fantastic experience.

Skagway: You can take the train or rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake. If you do be sure and take your passport and ID's as you will cross into Canada. There is also a very interesting gold rush cemetery as you leave Skagway on the way to Emerald Lake, just before the railroad track.

Those are just a few suggestions and trust me there are so many more great things to do while on your cruise.

You may want to try the Alaskan board on this web-site, where you will find lots more information about Alaskan ports.

Hope some of this helps,

Enjoy your cruise!

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Deb,
I really want to do a cruise like this next trip to Alaska. What are all the ports and how did the airfare work out?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to BlueeyedBabyx3

Thanks so much for your post. It did help. And about the bring twice the money thing, is everything really expensive there?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Captain

Blueeyedbaby,

In Alaska things like food and hotels are more expensive than normal prices. IMHO, tours offered by the cruise lines are expensive, but some are well worth the money. I enjoy planning my own tours and taking day tours at my own pace, but then again that's just me.

So I guess what I am saying is that Alaska can be expensive, but it does not have to be. I have seen passengers who book two and three tours every day they are in port, but since I do tend to travel on a limited budget and I have been to Alaska several times I tend to just sit back and enjoy the best part of Alaska, which is the pure beauty.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Hi Deb,
I really want to do a cruise like this next trip to Alaska. What are all the ports and how did the airfare work out?
Hi Donna,

There are several cruises offered on Princess cruises. My favorite has always been the one-way North/South cruises. If time permits one should always allow a week before or after your cruise to explore Alaska on your own. The land experience is quite a bit different than the ports of call and gives you an even greater appreciation of the beauty of Alaska. As I read my posts, I am starting to think that I should apply for a job at the Alaskan tourism department. (ha-ha)

My first trip was about fifteen years ago and was intended to be a one-time trip, just to see if all the talk about "the last frontier" was just hype. I found out the talk was not just hype, and in a couple of weeks I will be returning again with over one dozen trips to Alaska. I think Alaska should come with a warning that it can be addictive!!!!

The ports on the voyage of the glaciers offered by Princess are Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. There are also two days of glacier cruising, with one in College Fjord and one in Glacier Bay National Park.

I hope that you will take an Alaska cruise as I am sure you will just love it.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Deb,
I've truly learned to love Alaska cruising...Next trip I hope will be a one way either North or South and more glaciers.

Message Boards Moderator