Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sameee395
Default princess vs. royal caribbean?

i've been on royal caribbean [explorer&voyager] several times but have never been on a princess cruise. this year we're thinking about either going on the caribbean princess or the royal carib explorer again. has anyone been on both and can tell me which they preferred? (food/entertainment/etc)
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Princess is a nice change, you'll most likely enjoy it. The level of entertainment isn't the same, no ice show...but the Horizon Ct is very good for your buffet breakfast and lunch, even tried it for dinner and it was excellent. Its a bit more laid back than Royal Caribbean, but they offer a nice cruising expierence.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Admiral

I've only been on RCCL a few times and have sailed princess about ten times. We prefer Princess overall but are glad to sail either cruise line depending on itinerary and price.

Often Princess food is a bit better and R.C.C.L. entertainment is usually a little bit better. Or so it seems to me.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Captain

Only been on 2 one was RC the other was the Crown Princess. Princess seemed a little stuffy. Not as much to do, even though we did enjoy the movie under the stars, were going back to RC this fall to see if I enjoy it as much as I did the first.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Captain

I've only been on one Princess cruise and it was the smaller, Pacific Princess (former R3 ship). I DID do my homework before booking the Princess cruise though, but still was disappointed.

I think Princess is more casual than RCI. I didn't find the service on Princess to be what I expected either, but it was only one cruise.

Princess has some pretty great ports and lecturers though, if you're interested in this. Also, I'm not a buffet guy but due to some unfortunate happenings, only ate dinner in the specialty restaurants and buffet. The buffet was pretty good and it was the same menu as what was being served in the dining room. I thought that was a nice offering.

I enjoy the entertainment more on RCI and the dining as well. Specialty restaurants IMHO are better on RCI.

I was told by a regular Princess passenger that I should have tried one of the larger ships, as my experience on the Pacific was not indicative of their overall service. If you do try Princess, maybe try a larger ship?

If you like RCI, Celebrity may be another good alternative for you guys.
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Much perfer the crew and staff on RCI vs Princess. Celebrity beats both of them and has higher staffing levels. Give them a try.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Admiral

As they say in the car business,,there's an @ss for every seat! I'm just the opposite of Cookie, and I very much prefer Princess to RCI. I do agree that Celebrity is excellent, but not nearly as good as they were even a couple of years ago. I just think that RCI has cut back so much in so many small ways, and not reduced their prices at all so the value and service is no longer there. RCI used to be my favorite, but not anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'd still sail RCI, and have sailed RCI recently, but i personally prefer Princess, Celebrity, or even Carnival.

Ken
"SKY"
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Familiar Face

I thought that my RC cruise was really nice. I wouldn't hesitate to go back on RC. However I would only do that if Princess didn't have the itinerary I was looking for. I much prefer Princess over RC.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

it really is so difficult to compare, each line, each ship in fact basically has its own personality if you will. I have sailed on the Royal Princess, Sea Princess, Golden Princess and Freedom of the Seas, if given the choice of an identical itineary, accomodations and price i would pick Princess over Royal Caribbean, not to say that we didnt love our cruise on the Freedom of the Seas, but we felt that she was just too big for our personal tastes, and being that large with so many passengers aboard we felt that the service was a bit lacking, it was still fine but, Princess wins that one for us