Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Default Why is Princess so much more expensive than RC?

Interior cabin on a 9 night Eastern Carib. Princess cruise = $3000

Interior cabin on a 10 night Eastern Carib. RC cruise = $1900

Without having been on either ship they seem to be equivalent. One certainly doesn't seem over a thousand dollars better.

The ports of call are different, does this have a great effect on cost?

And the RC cruise is even one day longer.

Can someone tell me why the huge discrepency.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:23 AM
First Mate

The time of year can make a huge difference. Are they both for the same week?

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It also depends on which ship...Any newer one is always more $..

What ships are you comparing?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Yeah after I posted I realized much of the difference is probably due to time of year. The RC is January and the Princess June. Sill is the difference that great?

As far as the ships...

RC = Explorer
Princess = Caribbean

Are they as comparable as they seem?
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Not sure about RC. We sailed Caribbean Princess this past January. First voyage from it's return from drydock. Beautiful ship (lousy servie)

I would think January in the Carib is more expensive than June.

Yes it is true about ports of call. Fee's per passenger are more expensive in some ports. Tendered ports are cheaper for the cruiselines as well. The total number of ports of call can also affect pricing.

Carib. Princess out of San Juan would triger higher airfare than from any Florida port of departure as well.

So as you can see, there a numerous factors which affect the cost of the cruise. You're pretty well safe of having a good time on both...but, I would save the $1,000 and put it towards my next cruise.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Interior cabin on a 9 night Eastern Carib. Princess cruise = $3000

Interior cabin on a 10 night Eastern Carib. RC cruise = $1900
Is this for one person? If so, I can't imagine paying either of those amounts. We almost always pay much less than $100 per person per day; and, often get outside rooms for that rate on either line.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
First Mate

I just searched the more expensive one, according to you, and can't find anything higher than $1399 pp double occupancy. This is for year 2010.

You might want to check apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

In any case...

Sweet Sailing!

Old June 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Admiral

It is my experience that R.C.C.L. and Princess are usually very similar in price on similar sailings.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Familiar Face

The prices quoted must be brochure rates.

I would never in a million years pay $3000 for an inside cabin, even with the best gold plated taps.

Our past cruise on the Caribbean Princess March 15/09 it was $450 pp inside (for our lads) and $650 pp for a balcony cabin. Taxes and port charges included. This is HIGH season.

You will find any number of specials for the Caribbean routes at most times of the years (Christmas/New Years will always be very expensive).

Check any of the online cruise sites to get an idea of prices.

You can never compare June sailings to January sailings. Look for apples to apples (eg. week of January 23/10, cabin type, number of days etc).

A tip if you aren't too fussy on islands (we aren't - we have done east/west/south) try to book after the final payment date. Often there are good cabins available (our Caribbean Princess cruise for example) at great prices.

I hope that helps!
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Where are you flying from?

I'm in Toronto, Canada.
Carr. Princess (From SJ) 01/09 = $1,700pp + Ins. $178pp $CAD (Inside Cabin)
Star Princess (Fr Ft. Laud.) 01/07 = $3,200 $CAD - Outside Cabin for 2 ppl

I wish we had the luxury of driving into port and paying under $1,000
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Familiar Face

Default Prices vary even on the same ship

I watched a balconey room start at lowest $4,000(2) year in advance. Lowest $2,800(2) 2-3 months from cruise date, back to $4,000(2) 1 month before cruise date. Major swings!
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Familiar Face

I am living in Ottawa, which means if we fly out of here we pay way overinflated Air Canada prices. So we fly from other airports, the last being Burlington Vermont. Our flight to San Juan was $378pp (AC would have been $1000pp). Drive a little, save a lot.

We cruise once or twice a year. Always high season. The lowest I have paid is $399pp for an outside cabin. The highest, $900pp (a year ago March on the Gem from NY - gorgeous ship!!).

You have to be savvy when it comes to time of year and the different ships. For example, we have been on RCL as it is always priced so much higher than all the mass market lines (Princess, NCL, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity). I personally don't think I want to pay that much to have access to an ice rink (as a Canadian no duh!!).

New ships will cost more. Brand new ships will be the most expensive.

If you get a guarantee it may be cheaper, but risk getting a crappy cabin (like we did on the Zaandam - no A/C and zero customer service).

We really lucked out with several cruises, timed right to get a great deal and a great cabin.

Keep checking the online TAs to see what deals are out there. Don't worry that they only show some cabins (they will only show six or so at a time in a category). I know I was able to book a great mid ship cabin that did not show up on the website, I just asked the TA at the call centre.

As a word to other Canadians, don't book in Canadian dollars (unless it goes back to par). The cruise lines give terrible exchange rates, book in US dollars on a credit cards the rates are better.

Just keep checking! Those deals will pop up!
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Supply and Demand. June is always more expensive than Jan, simply because the kids are out of school, and the family can cruise, so the demand is MUCH higher. I'll bet if you compare the same weeks, you'll find that the prices are very close to the same, and in many cases, Princess is actually less expensive than RCI is. It seems to me that every time I've checked lately, that RCI has been higher than any other main stream line I've compared it to.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun~
The prices quoted must be brochure rates.

I would never in a million years pay $3000 for an inside cabin, even with the best gold plated taps.

Our past cruise on the Caribbean Princess March 15/09 it was $450 pp inside (for our lads) and $650 pp for a balcony cabin. Taxes and port charges included. This is HIGH season.

You will find any number of specials for the Caribbean routes at most times of the years (Christmas/New Years will always be very expensive).

Check any of the online cruise sites to get an idea of prices.

You can never compare June sailings to January sailings. Look for apples to apples (eg. week of January 23/10, cabin type, number of days etc).

A tip if you aren't too fussy on islands (we aren't - we have done east/west/south) try to book after the final payment date. Often there are good cabins available (our Caribbean Princess cruise for example) at great prices.

I hope that helps!
I agree with you on never paying $3,000 for a nine night Caribbean cruise. I am always on a budget and would not even be willing to pay that on Crystal Cruise Lines!!!! The brochure rates are never what I would pay for any cruise. Princess is a step above RCL, but this May the prices for a 7 night cruise on the Island Princess were going for less than $400 pp, for a seven night Alaskan cruise and this included all port charges and taxes. At those prices, I was able to afford a b2b Alaskan cruise.

Now if you book a cruise over a major holiday, prices can soar to very high rates. I also agree that booking early does not always mean that you will get the best price. I have always been flexible and book my cruises a few months before sailing.

My experience has been that Princess is usually less expensive than RCL, when comparing the same cruise itinerary and dates.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com