Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Captain

Default Princess vs. Celebrity

One of the hosts on the Celebrity board recommended that it would be a good idea for me to start a thread comparing Celebrity and Princess.

Having taken five cruises on Celebrity and just short of fifteen cruises on Princess, I thought I could offer a comparison of the two cruise lines. Following are a few of my experiences, observations and opinions about the two cruise lines.

Celebrity does offer free sparkling wine or a Mimosa, when you first board. Celebrity also does offer wet towels as you re-embark from a day in port. On hot days this is most welcome. On these two minor points, I wish Princess and other cruise lines would copy these ideas. Considering the constant raves by those who are Celebrity fans and the low cost of this extra service, it would behoove all cruise lines to follow suit with that nice gesture.

Service: I have found it to be very good on either cruise line. On any cruise line it is always possible to find an employee that maybe is not as good or dedicated to their job as they should be. On my last Princess cruise every employee that I happened to come into contact with, was overall, the best that I have ever seen on any cruise line.

Food: Princess has always offered a buffet in the evening for those who wish to use it and Celebrity, in the past, has not. For many years Princess has been offering an anytime dining option and I understand that Celebrity is now finally going to use the same format.
While reviewing food is always very subjective, IMHO the food on my last Princess cruises this spring was very good. I do know that last year Celebrity got rid of their long time head of the food department and since then, I have read many reports of the food not being quite as good as it used to be. On my last Celebrity cruise they did have a very nice sandwich area using fresh baked breads and sandwiches made to order, which I found a nice break from the eating routine on cruise ships, where I do tend to over eat! That said, the food on either cruise line, at that time, was good and about equal.

Ship conditions:

This is where there is a major difference between the two cruise lines. IMHO, Celebrity tends to push the time for major refurbishing too far apart. Even maintenance that can be done while at sea tends to be much better on Princess than on Celebrity.

No comparison would be complete without mentioning one recurring problem that Celebrity has that Princess does not. The problem is what Celebrity has called, in court in their suit against the manufacturer, a design problem that off and on affects the propulsion system of Celebrity Infinity, Millennium and Summit. This problem has happened many times over the years and I was unfortunate enough to be on one of these cruises a few years ago.
I can assure everybody that it is not a lot of fun to see ports missed, reduced port times and missing Hubbard Glacier on my Alaskan cruise because of a ship that on our cruise was not mechanically sound and therefore was not able to maintain speed. On every cruise be it Princess, Celebrity or Crystal cruises, there are always be a few who are not satisfied with something. The point that I am trying to address is a problem that affects everyone who happens to be onboard when this problem happens. Sadly, since our very disappointing cruise there have been five or six more failures of the same type on these three ships. Lest any one think that this is just one person who was not satisfied with Celebrity about this recurring problem, on our cruise over 1,200 passengers signed a petition for presentation to Celebrity, expressing our outrage as to how Celebrity handled our situation. My review of what happened to almost 2,000 passengers is posted in the review section of this board titled the May 7, 2006 Celebrity Summit cruise. If anyone wants to read if anyone wants to read the whole almost unbelievable story of all that happened on our cruise. That whole experience was not based on just one or two person’s opinions, but rather the experience’s of everyone on board that cruise and many other such cruises both before and after our experiences. These propulsions certainly do not happen on every cruise for these three ships, but when they do happen they can have a serious effect on one’s vacation and the value received for what you have paid for.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what is important to each person when it comes down to selecting a cruise line. I am not one to be a die hard fan of any cruise line but rather, I am price and value driven. Six years ago, I would have given Celebrity the nod as the best choice between the two, but now things have changed and Princess, IMHO, does offer the best overall cruising experience when comparing the two cruise lines. There are many small differences but IMHO the main difference where Princess moves way ahead of Celebrity, is the condition of their entire fleet, ship reliability and the consistenancy of the overall cruise experience.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow you had something to say!

Debra you're so right though...as you said, "At the end of the day it comes down to each person...". I agree. I think so many agree.

Everyone has a unique personality and DNA which makes us all different. What you or I consider "the best" isn't everyone's choice. What griped you about the propulsion unit, facilities, or whatever could be a "non-issue" with a cruiser on another line. A crappy experience on Princess may be a "non-issue" to another Princess cruiser. It's really relative. I had an experience on Princess, after many good on Celebrity, NCL, Cunard and even Costa. It got to me, but I had to realize that not everyone had the "same" experience I did on Princess. That was "my experience". I own it, not anyone else. It isn't really fair to continue badgering and badmouthing an experience.

I learned in grade school to not always compare, as it only led to contention and fights...I do appreciate that we all have something to say though. The healthy thing to do is say it, and let it go. I say that because I have ready many of your posts, reliving the same experience...so many times.

Although I've sailed both lines and didn't have the best experience on Princess as noted in the Review forum, I will say that my experience on Princess shouldn't be the ruler for everyone else to use to measure. That was my experience.

It's hard to let things go, isn't it? I would love it if we all focused on the postive experiences we all had, and decided to speak those words.
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Admiral

I think Princess has started the towel thing. I remember reading a press release of enhancements.

We've sailed both, like both, but prefer Princess. They just have more things that we enjoy. MUTS, fresh water pools, the aft pool, more casual dining options.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Captain

Trackypup,

The towel animals are a great idea and on our last Princess cruise this May the room steward made a different animal out of towels every night.

I don't know if every cabin steward makes them or not. Our room steward tried to teach me how to make a rabbit from a towel but mine turned out looking more like Miss Piggy. Oh Well! It does take some artistic talent to be able to make one of those cute little devils.

I agree with you and my personal experience has led me to go with Princess for a lot of reasons, but one of the main reasons is that Princess does offer a consistent good product as opposed to the hit or miss experiences on Celebrity ships.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Captain

I've sailed on both lines and prefer Celebrity myself, for many reasons but for me, I enjoy the stellar service I receive from the moment I embark to the morning I disembark and go home. I have never had a crappy Celebrity cruise.

In all fairness, I have only sailed on one Princess cruise. The itinerary was fabulous (Amazon) but I did not enjoy the service. I have been told that I should try another (larger?) Princess ship, so I would like to give that a try.

I think for all of us, this is really a subjective thing. We all are different and have varied expectations and particular wants / needs when spending our hard-earned dollars on a vacation. I think we ALL want peace, freedom, enjoyment and complete satisfaction from purchasing a good value for our money.

Princess and Celebrity both have their loyal passengers and I know both groups would heartily defend their cruiseline of choice.

My vote is for whichever line you enjoy most, and gives you the satisfaction you specifically look for in a cruise.

Whatever we choose, I think we're fortunate to have this somewhat "affordable" luxury these days. I love cruising and am learning to find the good in them all.
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Captain

Trinton,

Thanks for your comments.
I agree that opinions about such things as food and service are very subjective. The food that one person thinks is very good could seem below average to another person. I doubt that someone who has taken one cruise on a cruise line and probably comes into direct contact with six or seven service crew members out of more than one thousand can make a creditable judgment about the overall level of service of any cruise ship or the entire fleet. Even ship conditions, I guess, could be subjective and just depends on what you are used to and what you are willing to accept.

I would have to respectfully disagree if your comment suggested that the problem that I encountered on Celebrity was subjective. All passengers on my cruise and the more than twenty other Celebrity cruises endured the same recurring propulsions problem with missed ports or cancelled cruises. There is nothing at all subjective about that. How these recurring propulsion problems are handled by the Celebrity corporate office both before and after the cruise is where the problem lies.

I certainly do agree that it is a great thing that we all have choices and after learning the hard way about these problems on Celebrity I am back to Princess. I am not a die hard fan of any cruise line and rather will cruise with the cruise line that provides reliable ships and a corporate office that does care about pleasing and keeping past passengers.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Captain

And that's just what this board is for, to voice our own experience...and that's what they are, our own experience!

What I really hope everyone on the board learns to honor is that we all have our own experience and voice...and to hopefully, let it "go" after awhile...to not "bash" others and their own opinion, but to respectfully listen. But, that is certainly each person's own choice!
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Default COMPARISONS

Well said Triton...If Nurse Debra had met the past Princess cruisers on our particular cruise..who were not happy about whatever...we would be equal... and there were very unhappy past passengers.. starting with a gentleman we ate breakast the very first morning.. I was taken aback by his comment that.. is this is pretty loose... that he had the ways and means to travel on any cruise ship and this was going to be the last time he would be taken by Princess"...WOW Our cruise incidents included having to call the Head of Security to locate a watch, no towels in our cabin three nights in a row...and a rude Purser... thats just the beginning.. or the major points.. Oh.. I didn't mention cleanliness did I..lol.. We are booked on the Equinox next October..in a Penthouse Suite..and this October another inbetween cruise..so $$$ is not the major factory.. the ports and service...
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Captain

Thanks Triton. I appreciate your input. You are right to say that this board if for voicing our own experiences. I also agree that the treatment of those on our Celebrity Summit cruise is over and done with; just as it is over for those who were on the last reported break down of the Celebriuty Millennium cruise around Australia on the March 1, 2009 cruise. These passengers experienced a similar experience and missed the port of Christ Church and one other port because of this same recurring problem.

On every cruise be it Celebrity, Princess or even Crystal there are unfortunately going to be some who have minor problems and were not satisfied. What I reported about my cruise was not just my experience, or that of a few, but rather ALL passenger's experiences. If anyone wants to know more about this problem, my review is posted in the Cruise Reviews/Readers Review section of this board. It is under Summit May 7, 2006 cruise.

At the end of the day it is not about me or those on any of the 20+ Celebrity cruises that experienced this same problem in the past, but rather those who should at least be made aware that in the future this same problem could happen to them. All cruisers on any cruise line should be armed with all the facts, yes personal opinions too, and cruisemates is a great place to get them.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Captain

Precisely, Nurse Debra. What baffles me is that most every single post you have made, with reference to Celebrity has been a slam...even your last post here. Heck, you even frequent the Celebrity forum (although you're "done" with them) and rant about your experience, although it was some time ago...This is what I am referring to, letting things go. I don't point to mechanical and other prevailing negative issues regarding Princess with every post (although many could), I don't understand why you continue to do this?

This board is not a forum to debate, but it is to speak freely, and I hope fairly. To me it appears that you continually drudging up every negative mechanical problem you find regarding Celebrity (or any other line) brings you satisfaction, and I don't understand that. Mechanical problems I have experienced (not on X) of course did not only affect me, but 650 other pax on my last voyage. That's OK. Crap happens. We move on, find something else that suits us and take a few deep breaths. 8)

Nurse Debra, I wish you well and many happy future sailings with whatever cruiseline you enjoy. Life is too short...enjoy your vacations!
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Triton, I enjoy your posts here, but I sincerely hope you're giving Parrot Mom the same advice because if I have to read their complaints about Princess passengers on a whole based on their one cruise, I might scream
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Default OPINION-Advice

Actually Triton has given me the same advice.... lol... and I don't think I am as vehement in my dislike of Princess as you might think...Triton is right...there is more to this than meets the eye...and there are loyalists to Princess who will protect that "name" no matter what cost.. In all seriousness..when I talked to a friend who had done the exact same ship PP and then the Celebrity Constellation...her first reaction was that they were "equal"... then in further conversations she agreed that Celebrity was much cleaner, etc. etc. but it is the perks that have hooked them in and for her husband who is the decision maker but not the $$ maker...lol.. that matters.. Yes, it was only my first Princess cruise..but first impressions are meaningful, when as I have written you have a room steward that doesn't bring towels three nights in a row, a rude Purser and the need to call the Head of Security...dirty tables in the buffet..and I could go on and on about this one cruise.. It comes down to this.. no matter what anybody elses opinion.. Nurse Debra will defend Princess with her life and diss Celebrity and I in return will continue to defend Celebrity and diss from our one experience Princess..Sorry about that Triton..
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
Triton, I enjoy your posts here, but I sincerely hope you're giving Parrot Mom the same advice because if I have to read their complaints about Princess passengers on a whole based on their one cruise, I might scream
Trackypup,

I had the opportunity to enjoy your beautiful city this May just before our Princess cruise to Alaska.

Your point is very well taken and it is nice to see a voice of reason. I have tried to restrain myself about that issue and have decided to stop even making any comments about the posts of one particular poster. As one who has been specifically singled out many times by hosts, moderators, TA's and RCL stockholders for reporting a recurring problem of what happened to an entire ship full of passengers their Celebrity cruises. I have yet to see any of the chastising and dismissal of my posts, that I get, directed directly to parrot mom even after these couple of posts that I found on the Celebrity board and I quote exactly:

(A couple of quotes from the poster you mentioned)
"I found the die hard Princess cruisers completely obnoxious and self important. It's a Carnival for senior citizens and for people who want to feel self-important"

(Directed toward Princess passengers) "Frankly the passengers I met on line on another ... were the worst snobs and so filled with self importance that nobody else mattered except them." (end quotes)

I have read that Triton and parrot mom happened to sail on the same cruise on Princess and did not enjoy their cruise. Things do go wrong for a few people on all cruise lines and I feel bad for those people who were not satisfied. Triton has posted "he is a "Celebrity-aholic" and "I love Celebrity", so I can understand that maybe some of the posts by parrot mom, that you referred to, may not seem in poor taste or cruise line bashing.

What I have reported about the defect in several Celebrity ships is not available from Celebrity Customer Service or most TA's. It does cause me some concern as to why all the repeated praising in the world of a particular cruise line is fine, but let one poster report a known problem (known to Celebrity) and suddenly this topic should not be mentioned? The purpose of this board is to give information and I can assure everyone this problem is NOT just from the past and it will happen again in the future! IMHO, silencing discussions about this problem with the Celebrity Infinity, Summit and Millennium, may be great for Celebrity, but it certainly is not in the best interest of the casual cruiser!

As I have said before, I don't "love" any particular cruise line as I feel that being in "love" with a cruise line would blind me to problems or a decline to what I had experienced in the past. I simply will go for the best bang for the buck with my vacation dollars and all things considered, right now, Princess does the best job providing me with excellent reliability, service, entertainment and food.

For the most part, Triton has been fair and I do appreciate the fact that I am allowed to at least raise my voice and give warning about a serious problem that occurs occasionally and let each cruiser decide what is right for them. Had I only had some information about this problem before I booked that cruise on the Celebrity Summit, I would have made a different decision. In talking to a lot of passengers onboard that cruise, almost every passenger, including myself, had no idea that this problem existed. IMHO, information is what cruisemates is all about.

Wishing everyone happy and trouble free cruising on their favorite cruise line.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

I like the Princess forum as well as Celebrity.

What I am baffled by, is you, Nurse Debra start a thread on "Princess vs. Celebrity". Obviously some don't agree (this being on the Princess board no less).

What do you do? You attack those who are pro-Celebrity! : ) Isn't that strange? If you're starting a thread, seems like you should be the objective one and let others have their opinion, rather than cutting those off, like Parrot Mom or Triton, or whoever else, and arguing your point. What's the purpose of asking an opinion if you're going to debate everyone's voice? Hardly seems fair.

I can vouch that you do beat the dead horse, on many many Celebrity threads. Your posts have been questioned by moderators and cruisemates alike.

You asked others for their opinion, and then you argue with it. You point your finger at others when they give their opinion, that YOU asked for. Heck, why did you post this thread to begin with? Tell us your motive...really. .

My opinion is pretty clear on the review I did on MY Princess cruise. Worst cruise of my life - will never sail that line again. Anyone intersted can read my review on cruisemates.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Captain

Come on everyone, why do we argue? Sorry, but I don't see anything productive or helpful evolving here. Please change the course of this, or the thread will be locked.

Pride aside, let's move on and make this a healthier topic or it will be removed.

Thanks-
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Familiar Face

Let me start by saying I have not sailed with either company and had no preconcieved bias. I wanted to offer that I appreciated Nurse Debra's posting(s). We have been debating which cruise line to take and her posting helped us make a decision. For us, the Celebrity issues were not one of not liking the food or disliking a steward but rather a systemic concern - something much more objective. Mechanical problems with several vessels is not a touchy-feely dislike It is a broad concern potentially affecting many many people. What I haven't heard on postings pro Celebrity beyond "let it go" is something more along the lines of "the problem has been remedied". Until the problem with their ships is fixed, we'll choose to sail with Princess.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
Come on everyone, why do we argue? Sorry, but I don't see anything productive or helpful evolving here. Please change the course of this, or the thread will be locked.

Pride aside, let's move on and make this a healthier topic or it will be removed.

Thanks-
Awww come on Triton this is fun to watch!!! Someone pass the popcorn please!!!!!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default TRITON

"Awww come on Triton this is fun to watch!!! Someone pass the popcorn please!!!!! "

Guess you don't read the other boards.... Triton is on the CELEBRITY INFINITY and just went through the Panama Canal yesterday according to it's itinerary.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJude
Let me start by saying I have not sailed with either company and had no preconcieved bias. I wanted to offer that I appreciated Nurse Debra's posting(s). We have been debating which cruise line to take and her posting helped us make a decision. For us, the Celebrity issues were not one of not liking the food or disliking a steward but rather a systemic concern - something much more objective. Mechanical problems with several vessels is not a touchy-feely dislike It is a broad concern potentially affecting many many people. What I haven't heard on postings pro Celebrity beyond "let it go" is something more along the lines of "the problem has been remedied". Until the problem with their ships is fixed, we'll choose to sail with Princess.
PaulJude,

Thank you for your comments and understanding what I was trying to say. As you said it is not about an opinion that I had the best/worst room steward on cruise line ABC, but rather about a problem that could potentially affect all passengers on board.

Yes, I have heard "let it go" as the standard reply to my posts from some who seem to forget that this is a cruise line information board and that we have new members joining every day. I am sure that even after the next problem crops up that I will hear the same tired "let it go".

Cruisemates continues to grow just because of the information that is available here, without any censorship.

Thanks again for being the voice of reason about this issue.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Admiral

I have been on 5 Celebrity cruises and 12 Princess cruises. As far as the usual things - stewards, food, entertainment, etc. ... pretty equal.

However, when the hector's pup is Celebrity going to fix PERMANENTLY the pod problem??? Major, major defect.

I sailed on the Summit, Millie and Connie and fortunately no engine problem. I would have hated to have been stranded because of this major flaw.

Celebrity has to be losing BIG bucks by cancelling cruises to once again put these ships in dry/wet dock - so why don't they one by one fix them? There have been many ships that have been split in half and enlarged (Celebrity Century I think was one - that I sailed on 2x).

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Captain

Before I began moderating, learned that there is no "win" in a debate or arguement on Internet boards. Everyone has their own opinion; and for someone to pick out a word or phrase of another post and put their own "spin" on it makes it even more difficult to continually refute - so... whatever, to each their own. If others want to objectively share and inquire, I think that is great. I am only sharing MY OWN experience - just as others share THEIRS. Thank God it's a big - big world out there, plenty of options for cruising for us all.

My deeper concern for other posters is why ask what someone's favorite line is, if all others do is argue that person's opinion? Don't get it...

At the Miami Airport, having just disembarked the X Infinity, on a 16 night cruise and it was wonderful from the moment I walked on with the welcome champagne, the broad array of ammenties for Elite status, the Concierge Class ammenties, the food (new menus), ports - and especially the service. There were no mechanical difficulties at all (nor have their been on any X cruise we have taken). It was all stellar. For me and my better half, X just keeps getting better!

Last night we took advantage of the "Celebrity Passage". For $100 we booked a future cruise for 2010. Time to start shopping again, !
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Default CONDE NASTE November 2009 Cruise Ship Survey

In the vein of comparing lines I was very pleasantly surprised to read this today

TOP TEN CRUISE LINES

MEGA-SHIP LINES

1. Celebrity
2. Disney
3. Cunard
4. Princess
5. Royal Caribbean

LARGE SHIP LINES

1. Crystal
2. Regent Seven Seas
3. Cunard
4. Oceania Cruises
5. Celebrity

Princess is not listed in the "LARGE SHIP LNES".. they aren't listed in the next category (luxury) either.

Don't kill the messanger, I'm just reporting what the most prestigious travel magazine is reporting..
Closed Thread