CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Small dogs cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/369781-small-dogs-cruising.html)

poppadock December 2nd, 2009 06:30 PM

Small dogs cruising

Question if you were allowed to bring your small dog cruising with you would you ? Poppadock :roll:

Trip December 2nd, 2009 09:08 PM

I have 3 dogs, and my answer is, not on a good day.. Where would you like them to stay, in the room,,the room steward would love the clean up....If someone's doberman got into a fight with my yorkie...what would happen? If a dog bit someone, who is liable? oh what a can of worms this is;) No, no, and, no:)

Ron December 2nd, 2009 10:36 PM

I can't imagine anyone even thinking about taking a small dog or pet on a cruise ship. Can of worms would be a mild comparison--you take your small dog, then I can take my cat--then another can take their favorite Ferret.
And, if all you guys are getting away with taking your " small " pets, next time
I'll bring my prize winning goat! How about my monkey--- then someone brings a German Shepherd -- how about the kids pet--Donald the Duck to paddle around the pool with the kid---absurd sounding ?? You bet but that's a sample of how it would go.
As I said, I can't even imagine anyone even thinking about that. :shock:

poppadock December 2nd, 2009 10:58 PM

poppadock

So far your answers are very funny, I like them. poppadock :roll:

green_rd December 3rd, 2009 09:24 AM

I lot of people fly with the little beasties. I feel sorry for fellow passengers with allergies.

VegasCrossfire December 3rd, 2009 01:24 PM

If passengers were allowed to take their pets on board...."Poop Deck" would take on a whole new meaning!!:shock::-P

abqmommyof4 December 3rd, 2009 04:20 PM

I hope they don't start allowing pets on board. I have enough issues with the fact that airlines will allow small animals on board in a carrier. I'm allergic to cats, i swell up my nose runs and I have difficulty breathing. I really don't want to spend as much as I am on a cruise to have to be drugged up on Benedryl the entire time.

Ron December 4th, 2009 12:06 AM

Yeah, it might be embarrassing too on formal night to be going into the dining room with your wife-- both of you decked out in your finery and a small pooch decides to " attach " itself to your wife's leg about the time you hit the dining room door !! :shock: -- get--get away--get -you litle bas$%^!!

sistagoldenhair December 4th, 2009 01:11 PM

OMG, thats so funny!!!!

Chuck Palm December 4th, 2009 10:17 PM

Actually believe it or not...

The "Admiral Stardancer" (which later became the "Viking Seranade") used to allow small dogs on board for those passengers that brought on their campers, trailers and/or motor homes. (The R.V. thing is even more amazing!)

As I remember, there was a small exercise area and your pet could be housed in your R.V. Of course passengers were allowed and encouraged to visit their pets.

This was a lovely ship. It was my second cruise some 25 years ago and David's first cruise. It was our first visit to the Mexican Riviera. Times have changed a bit since then.

P.S. Yes I would take "Knock-Knock" (our miniature dachshund) on a cruise should he be allowed,

poppadock December 5th, 2009 01:23 AM

poppadock

Chuck Palm well you are the first person to say yes I love it, I believe you are not alone let's keep the thread going. First time I have heard of a ship that allowed dogs to sail. poppadock :roll:

westcoastguy January 8th, 2010 05:33 PM

you gotta be kidding me.

lv2b@sea January 8th, 2010 06:34 PM

My in-laws cruised the Panama Canal on the Star Dancer in the early 80's with their RV on board, driving back from Ft Lauderdale. And yes the RV storage area was a site to be seen. I think in the 25+ years of cruising we have seen 1 or 2 service dogs on board and they are a hit with many passengers who miss their own dog.

Nurse Debra January 8th, 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 1260885)
I can't imagine anyone even thinking about taking a small dog or pet on a cruise ship. Can of worms would be a mild comparison--you take your small dog, then I can take my cat--then another can take their favorite Ferret.
And, if all you guys are getting away with taking your " small " pets, next time
I'll bring my prize winning goat! How about my monkey--- then someone brings a German Shepherd -- how about the kids pet--Donald the Duck to paddle around the pool with the kid---absurd sounding ?? You bet but that's a sample of how it would go.
As I said, I can't even imagine anyone even thinking about that. :shock:

Ron,

Great response and so true!!!! I could then bring my Pitt Bull who only attacks when disturbed by small dogs barking, in the next cabin.

Debra

Donna January 9th, 2010 08:26 AM

I would most likely take mine, she'd be in the pool all the time. If I couldn't find her, I would sure know where to look :-)

Mike M January 9th, 2010 12:21 PM

I would be afraid to take my dog. Not because he would make a mess, have an accident, harass passengers, bite someone, fight with another dog, or go "Mississippi Leg Hound" on someone. It would be because of the buffet. He minds to a T but I don't think he could resist the buffet. A shock collar wouldn't dissuade him from jumping on the counter and just eating out of the steam table.

Then again, I have seen similar behavior from human passengers. :D

Take care,
Mike

huffca1 January 9th, 2010 05:01 PM

I think they do allow service annimals. With special arrangements made in advance. I read it somewhere but can't find it.

RichC January 11th, 2010 08:19 AM

Do you think they would let you load them on the tender for a trip to Princess Cays. :rolleyes:

Mike M January 11th, 2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffca1 (Post 1267050)
I think they do allow service animals. With special arrangements made in advance. I read it somewhere but can't find it.

You are correct. Service animals are allowed on almost all cruise ships with prior arrangements. In cruising circles there is a somewhat famous cruising dog named Erin who, with her companion, has a number of cruises under her belt. Here she is enjoying the sun when she had a little time off.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/.cv/...mb_273_205.jpg

Service animals, especially seeing eye dogs, are extremely well trained and would pose little or no problems to other passengers. The biggest problem is arranging a place for the dog to do their business. Some cruise lines have provided real grass on the balcony and others create a place for the dog. A traveling companion or the owner is responsible for cleaning up after the dog.

Take care,
Mike

huffca January 11th, 2010 10:28 AM

Oh he is beautiful. That is so wonderful. Thanks for posting the pic.

LisaK January 11th, 2010 12:26 PM

service animals of course should be allowed, but a house pet, no matter how small no thank you. I am highly allergic to dogs and cats and wouldn't want to be drugged up for my entire cruise, and lets face i folks there are pet owners out there who don't clean up after their pets in public places, can you imagine that on a cruise ship?

blazerjan January 12th, 2010 08:14 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned how unfair it would be for the dog... I love my dog dearly and would never consider taking him someplace that would make him so uncomfortable... he needs the yard to run in, (not to mention poop in) .. how happy would he be cooped up in a cabin for a week or ten days?? (Service dogs are of course a different story)

Nurse Debra January 12th, 2010 08:39 PM

Blazerjan,

Excellent point.

I think the OP was talking about bringing small dogs (pets) on board a ship and not service dogs. Service dogs would of course be welcomed on any cruise line.

Debra

LovetheSea March 29th, 2010 10:42 AM

Once when we were on a Celebrity ship, a woman had a small dog cruising with her. Min Pin. She was the wife of a baseball teams owner and had the best suite on the ship. I think they gave them SPECIAL consideration. The poor little thing looked miserable. She took it everywhere. It was on the deck for several hours on a HOT lounge chair. She took it dancing with LOUD music in the evening. I totally understand why service dogs need to be able to come, but not spoiled rich peoples little dogs. I have three Chihuahuas and would never subject them to the riggers of cruising. It would have been happier staying home with a sitter. They could have made arrangements for it, like we all have to with our pets when we cruise.

Parrot Mom March 29th, 2010 11:12 AM

Cruising with our Dogs

ARE Y OU SERIOUS!!! Why do you think I cruise... to get away from my two small spoiled dogs and the parrots...jezz. My older dog, Ms. Annie goes to nursing homes to visit patients and is the sweetest thing going. As it turns out they go to a friends house with their two dogs and are as spoiled there as they are here...Yes, there once was a dog on a Celebrity ship, the woman said he was a service dog, her husband was deaf. He was the nastiest little thing.

jackieb March 29th, 2010 11:22 AM

Dogs on Cruises

I would bring mine. It's hard to leave them, so sure I'd try it, and mine would also love to stay in the pool

Donna March 29th, 2010 12:34 PM

Hey Jack,
Mine would be in the pool with yours :-)

johnthed0g March 29th, 2010 05:01 PM

I think the question was if you could would you, not is it a good idea or not.
Now, years ago they did allow dogs on ships, I had a job to do on the QE2 some 30 years ago & had a look round (well you would wouldn't you!) up at the top by the funnel there were kennels & even a lamp post!

Fern March 29th, 2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1267322)
You are correct. Service animals are allowed on almost all cruise ships with prior arrangements. In cruising circles there is a somewhat famous cruising dog named Erin who, with her companion, has a number of cruises under her belt. Here she is enjoying the sun when she had a little time off.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/.cv/...mb_273_205.jpg

Service animals, especially seeing eye dogs, are extremely well trained and would pose little or no problems to other passengers. The biggest problem is arranging a place for the dog to do their business. Some cruise lines have provided real grass on the balcony and others create a place for the dog. A traveling companion or the owner is responsible for cleaning up after the dog.

Take care,
Mike

I know Erin! She's a "service animal" and she loves cruising! Her person also loves cruising!

FYI, there's usually a "sod box" or something similar for the service dogs to do their business. Some people bring a box on and put it on the balcony, other's use the ship's facilities. I'm very happy and impressed to see that the cruise line's have been pro-active in this area :).

Bruce Chafkin1 April 1st, 2010 09:54 PM

Think about that sod box sitting on your next door neighbor's balcony. Your balcony is downwind. The outside temperature is tropical - hot.

What a nice feature for your cruise of a lifetime. Sitting on your balcony, smelling the sweet odors of your neighbor's pet feces, cooking on his balcony.

Sounds like heaven.
You will soon wish to have a chain smoker next door instead.