Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default Free ice cream-on emerald princess

Just received this from a Princess cruiser who is off the Emerald Princess as of yesterday...There was a little area off the atrium called the International Cafe. " Three heaping scoops of gelato (6 flavors to choose from) on an
iced dish cost $1.50. One of the few things you had to pay for... as well
as theater size boxes of candy." From the rest of her comments it doesn't sound like the idylic cruise that Princess people talk about... No iced tea, water or lemonade by the pool although crew would get it for you... are they serious Oh yes..she did say they had free soft serve ice cream..
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Sorry to hear your friend didn't have the exceptional cruise that I had.

Last edited by worthew8; January 11th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Admiral

They are PRINCESS PEOPLE and she couldn't believe how downhill the food and the entertainment had gone..Her husband said that he had better steak in a local steak houe (Florida) than the specialty steak houes.. She believes that because it was a seven day cruise they catered to a foreign and younger passenger in entertainment and music throughout the ship and attitude of some of the staff when she asked for a hamburg medium to well. No liquid refreshments close to the pool...ADDITIONAL COMMENT BY HER..."So we ambled over to the buffet and - this is no lie - it looked like leftovers from whatever
they served during the week.

Last edited by Parrot Mom; January 11th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
First Mate

Sounds like she has a lot to say.

Old January 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
Sorry to hear your friend didn't have the exceptional cruise that I had.
Worthew8,

I am sure that most would echo your comment.

Very interesting and informative ice cream thread - don't you think

[edited for content]

Let me say that all of our cruises on Princess have been excellent in all respects and nothing like our first hand horrible experience on Celebrity. We were on the Sapphire Princess and Island Princess last year and had a fantastic time, free ice cream and all!!!!

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Default hot chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Worthew8,

I am sure that most would echo your comment.

Very interesting and informative ice cream thread - don't you think

{ed}

Let me say that all of our cruises on Princess have been excellent in all respects and nothing like our first hand horrible experience on Celebrity. We were on the Sapphire Princess and Island Princess last year and had a fantastic time, free ice cream and all!!!!

Debra
I only cruised once with Princess. The cookies and hot chocolate being brought around on Lido while in Glacier Bay was awesome, to say the least. A perfect touch to a perfect day.

Old January 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Default A lot to say

These comments were sent to me by a friend who moved from MA to Florida and I have known and worked with for nigh on 20 plus years... Her comments to me by e-mail were NOT to bash Princess but to tell me about her cruise and how disappointed she was on several aspects of this particular cruise. Her husband who I also knew well is a Princess fan..and we had both sailed the Pacific Princess and the Celebrity Constellation and compared our notes on that one. At this point I do know she is considering going back to Alaska on a Princess cruise and also cruising a Princess ship from Venice...which ship I don't know... The point being that although others have wonderful cruises on one p articular ship or cruise line.. often somebody has a bad experience and she did and told me.. I myself have had an "interesting" experience on an NCL and am pretty honest about it, the good, the bad and the surprising.. I just thought that the Princess people should know not EVERYBODY has a great cruise on Princess nor will they admit to the faults.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom, I have to say that I was surprised to see your friend's opinion as we've never had anything comperable. Also, I never thought that your friend was trying to bash Princess, but just to tell their experience.

I do find it hard to believe that she wasn't able to get liquid refreshment (ice tea, water, lemonade, etc.) on the Pool Deck .

We had "normal" ice cream for free on Lido Deck on our Golden Princess cruise. It's true that gelato is an extra charge (which is noted on the price list in the International Cafe).

Actually, what she said wasn't that she had a "terrible time", but that things were new or different from her last cruise with Princess. (Is that correct?)

I think it's always nice to get opinions from different people,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Parrot Mom, I have to say that I was surprised to see your friend's opinion as we've never had anything comperable. Also, I never thought that your friend was trying to bash Princess, but just to tell their experience.

I do find it hard to believe that she wasn't able to get liquid refreshment (ice tea, water, lemonade, etc.) on the Pool Deck .

A waiter would get it, but you couldn't help yourself

We had "normal" ice cream for free on Lido Deck on our Golden Princess cruise. It's true that gelato is an extra charge (which is noted on the price list in the International Cafe).

Actually, what she said wasn't that she had a "terrible time", but that things were new or different from her last cruise with Princess. (Is that correct?)

Yes, you are right...it was a much DIFFERENT experience than her last Princess cruise.. I don't think she had cruised this ship before..

I think it's always nice to get opinions from different people,
This woman is NOT picky.. but did think that they were cutting back and i was very obvious to her...

thanks for understanding
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:16 AM
First Mate

It might be less confusing if your friend posted her own comments.

Old January 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Personally, I have had the gelato on Princess and it is delicious, and for the small price you pay you get enough for two people.

I personally like Princess ships a lot, and although I have had some issues with certain staff people on Princess ships who I thought could do a better job, that can happen on any cruise line at any time. One bad apple does not spoil the whole bunch most of the time, and Princess has enough loyally club members to prove they are a popular cruise line.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to take one small aspect of a cruise and extrapolate it into a universal condemnation of the cruise line.
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Just received this from a Princess cruiser who is off the Emerald Princess as of yesterday...There was a little area off the atrium called the International Cafe. " Three heaping scoops of gelato (6 flavors to choose from) on an
iced dish cost $1.50. One of the few things you had to pay for... as well
as theater size boxes of candy." From the rest of her comments it doesn't sound like the idylic cruise that Princess people talk about... No iced tea, water or lemonade by the pool although crew would get it for you... are they serious Oh yes..she did say they had free soft serve ice cream..
There free soft ice cream in the adults only pool area ????.
They serve Vanilla , chocolate and chocolate swirl . There might be other flavors that I didn't see .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Familiar Face

Was on the Coral Princess (2nd time) on Dec. 7 - 22, 2009 and had a fabulous time. For those who were asking about free ice cream....well we had it all day on cones...for free.....
Those who trash the Princess cruise line are the ones who will trash any cruise line if the smallest thing doesn't go smooth for them....I'm a fan of Princess... I've been on several of their ships...never found a problem. Always had a good time.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Cool Trashing princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchurdiet View Post
Was on the Coral Princess (2nd time) on Dec. 7 - 22, 2009 and had a fabulous time. For those who were asking about free ice cream....well we had it all day on cones...for free.....
Those who trash the Princess cruise line are the ones who will trash any cruise line if the smallest thing doesn't go smooth for them....I'm a fan of Princess... I've been on several of their ships...never found a problem. Always had a good time.
The comments I've written were in response to a note if you had gone back to my posts... from a Princess fan who was very disappointed in her LAST cruise and told me why. Meanwhile we are discussing HER next cruise on Princess from Venice.. There has been so much negative postings on the Celebrity site from Princess cruisers that I thought that you might be interested to know that there is a Princess cruiser who did not enjoy her trip..btw.she does not post on the boards..her husband does...and not on t his one. She, my friend, is new to cruising as of the past few years and has mentioned some very obvious and what she thought were negative changes in her cruise.not to the positive..sad for her.. If you read my review on the Gem you will see I had a very poor experience in one instance and did not discuss this private experience.. but did write a fair and balanced review..who said so..just so happens I know a young woman that works for NCL and sent her the review..and her response was that "it was fair and balanced". So, please do not tell me I am now personally STILL trashing Princess...lol.. I had my Princess experience which was my first and probably last..yes there were a few positive things about our Princess cruise, but on the whole it was pretty negative, but I did NOT write a negative review nor did I have the heart to and I would be delighted to share the good moments with you if you asked. Everybody has their own opinion and expectations and I hope you will respect my friends and mine..Oh yes.. I've cruised more than 24 times and I don't think my friend has been on more than half a dozen...all except one on Princess.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
Familiar Face

Everybody has their own opinion and expectations and I hope you will respect my friends and mine..Oh yes.. I've cruised more than 24 times and I don't think my friend has been on more than half a dozen...all except one on Princess.

My post wasn't directed at u by any means...so pls don't take it personal...and no...I haven't read the post you're talking about, but I've read many of ur past posts........you're on here a lot...I haven't taken as many cruises as you, but the ones I've taken have been great....that's all I meant....
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Admiral

AT THIS POINT, LET'S ALL TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!! Please your all focusing on her comments on the ice cream.. I just went back to her letter and she talked about the "loud contemporary music which was not to their liking"...She noticed cutbacks in the little things like.."ice carvings", robes... I will tell you "watchurdiet" that we started to cruise 25 years ago..our first ship was the NCL Seaward where there were white gloves and french service...then Premier, Dolphin, and decided that flying to Florida or wherever was not our thing...We have since cruised Carnival, NCL, Royal Carribean, Princess and Celebrity...From the NCL Seaward 25 years ago to now.. cruising has changed and in someways NOT for the better unless you can afford the Crystal or Seabourn type ships.. One difference is that we cruisers can not "talk" on forums like this and compare notes. Right now I'm in contact with other cruisers planning private tours in the Middle East... So, if the Moderator would just lock this up I'd be just as happy as I do not expect to post on t his again.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Captain

[edited for content]

To once again to try and return to the "subject" of this thread, I have enjoyed free ice cream on all of my many Princess cruises. In addition many friends of some of my long time friends have also enjoyed the free ice cream on Princess.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Nurse Debra; January 23rd, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If there is one thing that makes me crazy - it is posts about how other people post. The topic on these boards is cruise ships, not how to post on a message board. Oh wait - I just did it myself.

FWIW: I think both Princess and Celebrity have fine ships. I have a personal preference, I tend to like bigger ships when it comes to Caribbean cruising because I have seen all the ports of call, so I want a more active ship.

Solstice is in my league and so are the post 100,000-tonne Princess ships.

I don't care for the ships from either cruise line built in 1990s, because they are smaller and limited in entertainment options. JMHO.

As far as ice cream goes, I have always thought people who focused on having to scoop up a buck or two for ice cream were getting out of hand in looking for things to gripe about. Once again, just my opinion.

But as far as this thread goes - anyone can have a bad cruise on any cruise ship at any time. It is usually a confluence of many small factors; a certain staff person may have a bad day, or your toilet might back up.

That's life - no one person, toilet or cruise line is perfect all the time. If you have a catastrophic event that ruins your cruise then I have sympathy for you, but if you get upset because you have to pay for ice cream, when another cruise line that gives it away for free may have cost $200 more for the same cabin category, then I tend to think you are missing the big picture - that you are on a cruise to enjoy it, not to look for things to criticize.

Kuki wrote an excellent blog recently along the lines of, "Do we all have to be cruise critics?" I 'am' a cruise critic by definition, I would much rather just be a passenger when I am on a cruise. You don't know how I long for the day when I can take a cruise without having to take notes.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise Critics

Okay, I'm replying to you Paul... the only review I think I have ever done is the NCL Gem..maybe one or two more years ago, but and a big but.. my review on the Gem happened only because I found a blank notebook my husband had.. and I decided to take notes. As for your note taking..you have my sympathy.. for many years we were "shoppers" for a security company and did hotels, restaurants and lounges..Fortunately Parrot Pop is a journalism graduate and wrote the reports well and we were trained to notice the little things...like if the bar tender was stealing (they did), cleanliness of the rooms, etc... you get the point. My friend DID NOT WRITE A REVIEW.. she sent me a letter about her disappointment on her favorite cruise line..Princess.. We have yet to sail the Soltice/Equinox class, so I can't tell you what I like or dislike about them.. It is interesting in that all the cruise boards solicit reviews and then when you do a review your criticized for being a "cruise critic"... I read the reviews of our Gem cruise on another board and WOW..i really was kind compared to many of the other cruise writers.. Maybe, just maybe and lets say this is my ego talking.. I maybe a little bit more cruise savvy (I doubt) and definetely entertainment savvy.. Besides traveling our second love or maybe our first is theatre.. We have flown to london several times to see theatre, gone to NYC for three or four years in a row and now attend theatre in Boston..
Neither Parrot Pop nor I are "event goers".. but have a subscription to two regional/off Broadway type theatres where our favorite is Sondheim musicals..and just about everything else. sunday we just went to a drama about apatheid in South Africa....so see we are not the average "even goers" who only go when a Broadway musical shows up in Boston. So, if I myself criticize the music or the ensembles on the Gem and boy did I....I knew what second class entertainment was and that was on the Gem... except for a young guitar player who put everybody else to shame. Yes, I cruise for the entertainment.. I make no bones about it..AND when a cruise line puts up not even second rate entertainers...somebody is going to know aboutit.. and o n the Gem I told the E.D. who agreed, but said Mgt. was not listening.. Don't worry, you nor Kuki will have to worry about further reviews from Parrot Mom.. [edited for content].
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Captain

Default Paul,

Paul, as usual all of your comments are right on target.

For those interested in ice cream and one thing that I forgot to mention is that Princess does have the best caramel sauce that I have ever had for a topping for your ice cream at dinner. It is on the menu once or twice per cruise but is always available if you request it from your waiter. It is so good that I generally forego the other choices for desert and probably order it 80% of the time for desert.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old January 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Parrot Mom ...

Your review of the Gem was excellent, as I told you when I first received it. I rarely take the time to write notes to people who submit reviews, even though they are very thorough, because I don't have the time.

I appreciate your views on entertainment. I also worked in the entertainment industry for many years - as well as on cruise ships (in the entertainment departments) so I know cruise ship entertainment. I spent years as a sound designer and sound & lights operator for a major theater in Phoenix (Herberger) that does everything from Broadway to ballet.

That being said, I generally do not cruise for the entertainment, as I still find most cruise shows to be highly predictable. Even when I see one I consider "good" I only regard it as such in the sense that I think most people would like it, but rarely does it appeal to me personally.

I will brag for a second. I recommended to Holland America (when I worked there) that they get "Blue Man Group" back in 1993 (they were only playing the Astor Theater in NY then, not even Vegas).

Then in 2007 when NCL had a press event in Vegas I told them, "I'll bet you are going to announce you are getting Blue Man group" They said "wrong!" - they didn't announce it, until over a year later.

I also told HAL back in 1993 that "Cirque" style shows probably wouldn't work for their cruise audience - especially when the S-class was their biggest ship. I was right and those shows on HAL failed miserably. That was a long time ago, they are working better now but have obviously had some challenges over the years. The problem is Cirque-style shows need big theaters with elaborate fly systems. Few cruiseships have that technology. I hope the Oasis "Come Fly with Me," which actually has many of the same castmembers as the AquaTheater shows, is good. It was not presented on the Oasis cruises I was on.

I worked for Jean Ann Ryan when I was on the Norway. I know what kind of shows she does. Rarely have I ever raved about any of her shows. One I saw on Galaxy in the late 1990s was shockingly bad - here's an example: she tried to emulate the tap dancing in Riverdance (the hottest ticket in town at the time) but the dancers were just pretending to tap and the actual tap sound was recorded on the click-track.

I think the ice shows on Royal Caribbean are some of the best entertainment at sea right now. I had very high hopes for the Aquatheater on Oasis and I hope it lives up to its promise soon. For stage shows, I think Carnival and Royal Caribbean go neck in neck for best.

I have not been on NCL enough to comment on their shows, but I have to say Epic looks to have an OUTSTANDING lineup of entertainment. Between Blue Man Group and Second City I think it will be the first ship where people book for the Entertainment.

Oasis' version of Hairspray is also first-class Broadway quality entertainment. There are distinct advantages to bigger ships in that they can afford better entertainment solely because of the passenger load (it is not a revenue producer). That is one reason I do not care for smaller, older ships - the entertainment tends to be second-rate with older programs, smaller casts and indifferent performers.

I was just on Sapphire Princess and took a backstage tour. They have a very impressive setup, far better than what I had to work with when I worked on ships. Thousands of costumes, flying scenery, hundreds of lights. As for content, as I recall I thought it was good, but I rarely walk away from a cruise show with anything that remains in my memory.

And that is pretty much how I personally feel about cruise ship entertainment - it is like cotton candy much of the time, looks fun and gives momentary pleasure, but tends to melt away into nothing substantial in a very short period of time.

I feel it is just now starting to become truly first-class with shows like Hairspray, the ice shows on Royal Caribbean, Blue Man Group on NCL and potentially the AquaTheater.

I have heard good things about performers like James Taylor on Cunard, and I can rave about music-themed cruises like the Smooth Jazz cruises. Just fantastic. All cruise ship entertainment should be like that - based on original talent rather that slick costuming and songs from hit movies.

In any case, I still say we are hear to discuss cruise ships, and I urge people to stop obsessing about what other people say if you disagree with them - so what? I don't understand why one person feels they can say anything they want, good or bad about a cruise line, but if another person expresses an opinion that person is crossing over the line. This is a democracy with freedom of speech. I may not agree with what anyone says but I will defend to the death their right to say it (unless it is "fire" in a theater).