Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default Ever booked a cruise while on a cruise?

I recently watched the Crusing Do's and Dont's Special on the Travel Channel and they recommended booking your next cruise while on your current cruise. Has anyone ever done this? Did you get a good deal, were there any regrets?
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Lot's do, you get discount & more OBC usually. In the UK you can do this then take it to a TA & get further discounts/OBC. We never have.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

From what I have heard the main advantage is that you put down a deposit and it can appied to any cruise at any time for up to three years. I guess that gives you a lotr of flexibility. If you decide to move the deposit to a different cruise there is no penalty etc.

That is just what I have been told in the past - things may have changed however.

Old May 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Admiral

On P&O you have to book a specific cruise, they don't like you changing at all these days, the rule is something like...you can change provided it is within 12 months? of the original & is more expensive.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Default yes

I bought a Future Cruise Credit for $100, good for 4 years and got OBC. Princess doesn't hold you to any certain sailing. Use it as the deposit when you do decide to book another cruise. No regrets at all! I plan on doing the same thing again next week.

There were a couple of things I didn't agree with on the Travel Channel's show.

Old May 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

What didn't you agree with on the show? I found alot of it was irrelevant for my cruise to Alaska, as there won't be any beaches and we're not taking any children.
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Flying Beagle - I watched the show a long time ago, but I also recall thinking a lot of it was very simplistic and didn't really give both sides of the story.

I'll have to see if I can find a summary of what it says.

Old May 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Admiral

I've booked while onboard ... and also later. In both cases, I've purchased a Future Cruise Credit for $100 per person. If you book a 10 day cruise, you'll get $100 onboard credit; 7 day = $50 onboard credit.

You can later turn over the booking to your Travel Agent and probably get a better price than Princess will give you.

Using the Future Cruise Credit also means you don't have to pay the balance until 75 days out for your final payment.

And, it's good for four years.

The only possible advantage to using it while still onboard is that you will be booking earlier and will probably have a larger choice of your type of cabin.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

We always buy a couple of FCC's onboard. It's a down payment of $100.00 for any Princess cruise you take within 4 years. You don't have to specify any particular cruise while you're onboard. ("Regular" down payment's are more $$.)
You also get onboard credit up to $100.00 per cabin, depending on the type of cabin and the length of your next cruise. If you've used a TA they'll ask if you want the info transfered to them, which we do. You can also combine this credit with the stockholder credit. (Sometimes, some credit's aren't combinable.)

If you don't use it within the 4 years, Princess will refund your money. You really have nothing to lose if you know you'll cruise Princess again .

The "Cruising Do's and Don'ts" is a relatively old show. While it does have some good advice, many things have changed since it was filmed.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for all of the great info. I think I'm going to take advantage of this on my cruise in August. I've already got my eye on the Historic America cruisetour of New England/Canada for next summer.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
First Mate

Princess currently has a special running aboard their ships where instead of purchasing an FCC you can book a future cruise from a selected list & double the normal cruise credit + that can be added to your TA's cabin credit if offered. If you're planning on booking a cruise in the fall/winter season & are leaving shortly wait until you're aboard to book.
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Passenger

I think it is worth as you always get more onboard credit when booking onboard and in the UK you have up to 7 days to get the cheapest price from different travel agents so you will always get the better deals. Also according to Cruise.co in the UK P&O and Cunard have introduced a new scheme where you only pay a deposit and then go home and choose which cruise you actually want to on while still getting all the benefits like spending money.
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - the P&O deal is just like Princess which has always had the same offer.

Now Royal Caribbean os offering $200 shipboard credit when you book a cruise onboard if you are a Crown & Anchor member, but essentially, if you are on a Royal Caribbean cruise you are a member.

Old August 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM
First Mate

This is a good deal, we always book a FCC of $100.00 per person for the future, and we have used this as a down payment for our last 7 cruises, and we have 3 booked for the future.