Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default sea princess to Alaska

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN IDEA ON WHAT TO PACK FOR A CRUISE IN AUGUST TO ALASKA WE RE TRAVELLING TO CHICAGO FIRST THEN CROSSING THE STATES BY TRAIN TO SAN FRANSICO,BOARDING THE CRUISE HOPING WE WILL BE ABLE TO PACK OUR SHORTS. ANY TIPS OR ADVICE GREATFULLY RECEIVED
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You may see a day or two that it will be warm enough to wear shorts, go ahead and pack a pair. Just be sure to pack some rain gear, chances are, you will see some during the week. Also, a good pair of walking shoes for excursions. The key when cruising Alaska is to layer your clothing, starts off chilly, but warms up during the day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Cool

Weather in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest (incl Washington and BC)

can be very variable. You might hit a long stretch of good weather or a

stretch of bad weather or anything in between.

I have lived on the BC coast for over 40 years . Weather can vary

a lot . Be prepared to dress in layers that can easy be removed

during the day.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for the advice. So will pack for layers hoping for good weather. Went on weather report for alaska and it seems that we might hit a few rainy days we are taking light rainwear and a fleece
many thanks for the replies
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks donna for the advice we are lookig forward to the cruise hope to see alot of wildlife.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Brownie,
What type of excursions do you have planned? Any glacier stops...A good excurson in Juneau is a whale watching tour.....The train ride in Skagway is also breathtaking and very interesting to hear about the history of the location.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Familiar Face

We have only booked one excursion so far on the fishing boat that appeared on deadliest catch. Looked so interesting hope we get the chance to see around keitchan. still deciding about the other trips part of the antipitation of what we will do, so excited many thanks for all your advice.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Talking Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie77 View Post
We have only booked one excursion so far on the fishing boat that appeared on deadliest catch. Looked so interesting hope we get the chance to see around keitchan. still deciding about the other trips part of the antipitation of what we will do, so excited many thanks for all your advice.
I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

What is your itinerary?

As far as clothing -- as others have said, Alaska is variable. We have been there eight times and had different weather each time! To see the way we have dressed, check out our page at
Cruising with the Halls
and look at our various Alaska trip reports.

Also I put up a page of excursions we have liked (out of the many available) at
Alaska Excursions Guide
and you might like to use it for some ideas.

Looking for your report when you get back!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you for allowing us to view your lovely pictures hope, you can answer another question we are oly allowed one suitcase each on the airline we are travelling with so having to leave the dinner suit at home, we hope to be able to hire one with princess cruises would you say majority of people get dressed in dinner for the formal eveing or is it smart casual.
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Hi brownie77 and welcome to Cruisemates! We've found that a long sleeved shirt, a tie and nice slacks are fine for Formal Night on Princess. If you want to rent a Tux on board, you'll be fine wearing that, too.

Many men wear a sport's coat or a suit, but it's not necessary. Alaska cruise's seem to be a little less formal than some other's.

Have a wonderful cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Talking Formal nights

Quote:
Thank you for allowing us to view your lovely pictures hope, you can answer another question we are oly allowed one suitcase each on the airline we are travelling with so having to leave the dinner suit at home, we hope to be able to hire one with princess cruises would you say majority of people get dressed in dinner for the formal eveing or is it smart casual.
Well, my DW is a great packer so she always finds room for my tux and her formal gown. BUT we are in the minority. Most gents will wear a suit or sports coat and tie. Most ladies will wear a "party" dress or a nice pantsuit.

Last cruise, luggage was tight so I rented a tux from the ship, but took my vests and bow ties. That worked very well, the price was reasonable and the fit of the tux was OK. Gentlemen look so good in a tux, I think it would be fun for you to rent one. In fact it is even possible on some lines to rent ladies formal wear too.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Cruising to Alaska on HAL Zuiderdam to see our group on one Alaskan formal night.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Australia and Indonesia Cruise to see a few formal night pictures of us on our last cruise, me in my rented tux.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Mike, Thx for all the advice, if its not to strict on formal night wear I might just take my jacket,trousers,shirt for those nights.

Frank.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Talking formal nights

Quote:
Hi Mike, Thx for all the advice, if its not to strict on formal night wear I might just take my jacket,trousers,shirt for those nights.

Frank.
Formal nights are becoming less and less strict. Probably no more than 10% of men are in a tux, maybe another 30% in suits, most of the rest just a jacket and tie. On most ships they are still pretty strict about the ties. Otherwise, do what is comfortable for you.

But we gentlemen look soooooo good in a tux ... the ladies love it!

Old May 7th, 2011, 02:08 AM
First Mate

I really like the formal nights, that is the one time my wife and I really dress for dinner. I hope formal night will always remain a tradition on cruise lines.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM
First Mate

With all the other clothes you'll be taking along I'd leave the formal clothing at home & just wear something nice on the formal nights. Princess will still let you into the dining room not dressed formally. Just a long sleeve shirt & dress pants for the guys, without the tie & a simple dress for the women will suffice.
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Unhappy "Will suffice"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
With all the other clothes you'll be taking along I'd leave the formal clothing at home & just wear something nice on the formal nights. Princess will still let you into the dining room not dressed formally. Just a long sleeve shirt & dress pants for the guys, without the tie & a simple dress for the women will suffice.
Sadly this might actually be true. It is too bad.

But in fact, usually they do want at least a tie on the gentlemen for dinner on formal nights.

If you can't put on a tie, please do me a favor and eat in the buffet that night.