Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Hmm - prohibition, let's see how would that work out
It isn't prohibition yet since they've still give you a place to smoke - just not in the rooms or balconies where most people didn't want it. If that doesn't suit the smokers on Princess then possibly moving over to HAL might be more to your liking where they still allow balcony smoking.
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Familiar Face

I think it's sad that a small number of careless, thoughtless smokers ruined it for all smokers. I'm a former smoker. I have no problem with people smoking on their balcony's as long as they don't spend all day/night out there AND they don't toss their butts off the ship.
I've read a lot of suggestions about ships designating 1 side of the ship as non-smoking, but, what would they do when 1 side filled up and the other didn't? Would they offer discounts to fill the open side? It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.
I do know that I have just started planning a cruise for next year. When I got the news about the smoking ban it narrowed my search down to 2 Princess ships.
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Goodbye Princess, Hello Hal!

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Smoking is a psychological tool .Its a substitute for something that one cannot emotionally deal with ,IMHO.
I am glad that is in your opinion, because it's a load of crap, IMHO
It is a horrible addiction
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizandPhil View Post
I am glad that is in your opinion, because it's a load of crap, IMHO
It is a horrible addiction
I agree smoking is a horrible addiction ....... entirely self-inflicted.

Annie
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I agree smoking is a horrible addiction ....... entirely self-inflicted.

Annie
Yes, but aren't all habits that way?
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:00 AM
First Mate

I am a non-smoker but my wife is a smoker. I understand not smoking in the cabins, but on the balcony, well that is a little harsh. A ban in the public areas of the ship is OK, BUT WHAT IS NEXT.
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Familiar Face

The new smoking policy is way too restrictive. Yes, dh & I are smokers and have always booked a balcony cabin for that reason. Now it seems there will be no more relaxing with a glass of wine and a cigarette on the balcony.

We are not "spring chickens" and it would be difficult to leave our cabin to find an area to smoke every time we want to light up. Smokers usually want a cigarette first thing in the am and the urge doesn't go away at a certain time at night. I can just see dh & myself in our night clothes having to go somewhere out on deck if we have the urge. Would we don our bathrobes or have to get dressed to go? What if the weather is bad? The whole matter is ridiculous!

Cabin bans are understandable but restricting balcony smoking is just unacceptable. We will take our upcoming Nov Princess cruise and make it our farewell to Princess. We will be moving on to HAL.
Rccl SOS 10/99 - Celebrity Horizon 11/01 - Golden Princess 11/02 - HAL Zuiderdam 11/03 - Celebrity Summit 4/04 - Star Princess 11/04 - NCL Spirit 3/05 - HAL Zuiderdam 6/05 - Star Princess 11/05 - HAL Westerdam 1/06 - HAL Veendam 4/06 - Sun Princess 10/06 - Caribbean Princess 11/06 - Star Princess 4/07 - Caribbean Princess 7/07 - Coral Princess 11/07 - Ruby Princess 12/08 - Crown Princess 4/09 - Emerald Princess 11/09 - Crown Princess 11/10 - Grand Princess 11/11
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Familiar Face

I applaud Princess for its policy change on smoking while onboard. While I am 100% against governmental agencies imposing smoking bans I am 100% for private corporations being able to make these kinds of policies based upon economic decisions.

I notice that many contirbutors to this thread have mentioned that they will move their cruising business from Princess to HAL based upon Princess' new policy. I believe that this is precisely how people should react to these business-based policy decisions. If more cruisers leave Princess than the line gains due to the new policy, then Princess may have to rethink its decision. If more people, like my wife and I, are willing to migrate to Princess precisely because of its business decision, then Princess will know that it made the correct choice.

Government bans on personal freedoms are always bad. Corporate decisions to apply restrictions based upon econoic reality are the way to go.

Read and post cruise reviews
NCL - Pride of America - May 2011
Carnival Elation - February 2011
Carnival Elation - November 2010
Carnival Dream - October 2010
RCL Oasis of the Seas - May/June 2010
Carnival Fantasy - April 2010
HAL Ryndam - September 2009
Carnival Holiday - May 2009
Carnival Celebration - April 5, 2008
Carnival Liberty - May 2007
Carnival Miracle - April 2006
Windjammer Fantome - 1987
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Hmm - prohibition, let's see how would that work out

It isn't prohibition yet since they've still give you a place to smoke - just not in the rooms or balconies where most people didn't want it. If that doesn't suit the smokers on Princess then possibly moving over to HAL might be more to your liking where they still allow balcony smoking.
RichC - wasn't suggesting the Princess policy was prohibition, was responding to a different post. Sorry for the confusion. Quoting would have helped identify what I was responding to.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
Goodbye Princess, Hello Hal!
Peg - better check out HAL's new smoking policy before you jump!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifra1of2 View Post
The new smoking policy is way too restrictive. Yes, dh & I are smokers and have always booked a balcony cabin for that reason. Now it seems there will be no more relaxing with a glass of wine and a cigarette on the balcony.

We are not "spring chickens" and it would be difficult to leave our cabin to find an area to smoke every time we want to light up. Smokers usually want a cigarette first thing in the am and the urge doesn't go away at a certain time at night. I can just see dh & myself in our night clothes having to go somewhere out on deck if we have the urge. Would we don our bathrobes or have to get dressed to go? What if the weather is bad? The whole matter is ridiculous!

Cabin bans are understandable but restricting balcony smoking is just unacceptable. We will take our upcoming Nov Princess cruise and make it our farewell to Princess. We will be moving on to HAL.
I can understand that smokers mostly feel this way but what about the people sitting on their balconies trying to read & have to put up with the smoke all the time or the smelly rooms that lots of had to put up with because of heavy smokers the previous cruise? It's obvious that Princess made the decision based on the numerous requests of their customers and although there will be some perople like yourselves who switch cruise lines, their will be many more who have left in the past who will return since Princess will have just about the strictest smoking policy of the major cruise lines.
With the additional people moving over to HAL from Princess, it won't be long before they force the balcony smoking ban there also.
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Peg - better check out HAL's new smoking policy before you jump!
According to USA Today, HAL and Carnival will still allow smoking on balconies.

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I can understand that smokers mostly feel this way but what about the people sitting on their balconies trying to read & have to put up with the smoke all the time or the smelly rooms that lots of had to put up with because of heavy smokers the previous cruise? It's obvious that Princess made the decision based on the numerous requests of their customers and although there will be some perople like yourselves who switch cruise lines, their will be many more who have left in the past who will return since Princess will have just about the strictest smoking policy of the major cruise lines.
With the additional people moving over to HAL from Princess, it won't be long before they force the balcony smoking ban there also.
Yes I agree that any private corp has the right to make their own rules. I suppose we will have to wait and see if this was a wise move for Princess. I also think that most non-smoking cruisers are okay with smoking on balconies but a minority group of non-smokers seem to scream the loudest and we all know, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I do feel sorry for the crew that smoke, I am sure this will be hard on them. It will be hard to give up the wonderful perks I get from Princess but I have enjoyed HAL in the past so it will be like seeing an old friend.
Rccl SOS 10/99 - Celebrity Horizon 11/01 - Golden Princess 11/02 - HAL Zuiderdam 11/03 - Celebrity Summit 4/04 - Star Princess 11/04 - NCL Spirit 3/05 - HAL Zuiderdam 6/05 - Star Princess 11/05 - HAL Westerdam 1/06 - HAL Veendam 4/06 - Sun Princess 10/06 - Caribbean Princess 11/06 - Star Princess 4/07 - Caribbean Princess 7/07 - Coral Princess 11/07 - Ruby Princess 12/08 - Crown Princess 4/09 - Emerald Princess 11/09 - Crown Princess 11/10 - Grand Princess 11/11
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I also think that most non-smoking cruisers are okay with smoking on balconies.
Where is the evidence for that?

But I agree it looks as if this will result in smoking and non-smoking cruise lines.

Interesting times.

Annie
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes I agree that any private corp has the right to make their own rules. I suppose we will have to wait and see if this was a wise move for Princess. I also think that most non-smoking cruisers are okay with smoking on balconies but a minority group of non-smokers seem to scream the loudest and we all know, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I do feel sorry for the crew that smoke, I am sure this will be hard on them. It will be hard to give up the wonderful perks I get from Princess but I have enjoyed HAL in the past so it will be like seeing an old friend.
Sorry, I don't agree with this at all. First off, Princess is not a Private company, it's a publicly traded entity, well its parent company is, therefore it has to answer to it's shareholders.

For every complaint I hear about a smokey cabin, I hear 5 about smoke on a balcony. I give HAL a year before they go no smoking on balconies, their clients are pissed that they've been left with the smoky ships and are being very vocal about it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:

A statement like this can only be though up my a smoker & probably someone who is very annoyed about the decision. In any event, yes the squeaky wheels did get some grease this time and it was long overdue.

Why feel sorry for them? They still have jobs just like before & can still smoke in all the places they're accustomed to, including their own cabins. I'm sure the cabin stewards are thrilled about all the less scrubbing & cleaning they'll have to do on change over day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Sorry, I don't agree with this at all. First off, Princess is not a Private company, it's a publicly traded entity, well its parent company is, therefore it has to answer to it's shareholders.

For every complaint I hear about a smokey cabin, I hear 5 about smoke on a balcony. I give HAL a year before they go no smoking on balconies, their clients are pissed that they've been left with the smoky ships and are being very vocal about it.
With a lot of the annoyed smokers going over to HAL I really believe this will set off a chain reaction & force them to adopt the no smoking on balconies as well since the complaints will escalate much faster than in the past as more people switch. It wouldn't surprise me if all the cruise lines (except Carnival) clamped down on smoking.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Admiral

You don't honestly think they scrub and clean rooms on change day? Vacuum, beds, towels and a quick swipe of counters is likely it from what I've seen.
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Captain

it's getting to the point that i will spend my money on all inclusive resorts over a cruise. The issue to me isn't smoking, it's about freedom to live my life as I choose.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Admiral

As a reformed smoker, I say -- HOORAY!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Gosh, that's the same reason I'm for restricting smoking!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's really pretty sad. People making decisions as big as a cruise choice based on being able to smoke, not on which trip will be the best.

Call it what you like, freedom, rights, big brother, or whatever, but the fact is you are being irrationally controlled by an addiction. Your cigarettes are telling you what cruise you can take, not Princess cruise line. Princess is going out on a limb and listening to the majority of their cruisers who are adversely impacted by smoking, and protect their right not to inhale smoke.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
It's really pretty sad. People making decisions as big as a cruise choice based on being able to smoke, not on which trip will be the best.

Call it what you like, freedom, rights, big brother, or whatever, but the fact is you are being irrationally controlled by an addiction. Your cigarettes are telling you what cruise you can take, not Princess cruise line. Princess is going out on a limb and listening to the majority of their cruisers who are adversely impacted by smoking, and protect their right not to inhale smoke.
I'm not sure if people will automatically change cruise lines based on the smoking restrictions alone but I know we suffered with the smoke problem for years on Princess & glad as most people are that the restrictions will finally be in place. Smokers still have the nearby places to smoke but at least the way it'll be set up won't irritate the majority of non smoking passengers.
It wouldn't surprise me to see HAL change their smoking policy to include rooms as well as balconies in a year or so depending on how well it goes on Princess.
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I won't sail NCL because of their lack of restrictions on smoking.

When I select a hotel room, I can ask for and receive a room on a non-smoking floor.

Why can that not be done on a ship? One side smoking ; one side non-smoking?

I think that could resolve a lot of the issues.

Annie
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I won't sail NCL because of their lack of restrictions on smoking.

When I select a hotel room, I can ask for and receive a room on a non-smoking floor.

Why can that not be done on a ship? One side smoking ; one side non-smoking?

I think that could resolve a lot of the issues.

Annie
We won't have to ask that question in another 6 months on Princess, the issues have been solved.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
We won't have to ask that question in another 6 months on Princess, the issues have been solved.
It would be nice though if all cruise lines offered the choice

Even though I am a non-smoker, I would allow an allocation of cabins and balconies for smokers. I am all for choice and fairness.

Princess cruises do not have an itinerary at present that interest me.

Annie
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
Anyone remember the fire on the Star Princess? It was supposedly the result of careless smoking. It's a scary video...
YouTube - ‪Star Princess Fire‬‏
I have read the report you can download the PDF it has never been proved that it was a cigarette. The report does conclude that the furniture and partitions between balconies were not fire retardant however the ship was within safety design limits of the time that only extended to the inside of the ship. The standards have now been amended.

As far as banning smoking in cabins or on balconies I think it's overdue, even when I was a heavy smoker I never smoked indoors and went out on deck for a cig.
As people have paid a lot of extra cash for their own private deck space why should they not be able to enjoy the use of it without having to smell smoke.
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Quote:
It would be nice though if all cruise lines offered the choice

Even though I am a non-smoker, I would allow an allocation of cabins and balconies for smokers. I am all for choice and fairness.

Princess cruises do not have an itinerary at present that interest me.

Annie
The only problem with offering a choice is that it was that way for years past & it was a major cause of numerous complaints from non smokers. Some cabins smelled horrible & for us it was having a balcony that was unusable for part of our trip. I almost hated to pay the extra money for a balcony & then be denied use of it on sea days. Their decision, although not liked by some of the smokers, will probably be the standard of all the cruise lines in a few years.
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I suggested long ago that the cruise lines take 10% of cabins and located them on the aft of the ship, and designate them smoking allowed cabins.

The smoke would then be limited to that area, and on a moving ship, would dissipate pretty quickly in that location. Those booking in that area would know they are booking into a smoking area.

Of course there would be the non-smokers who'd complain they are being denied the ability to book those aft cabins, without putting up with smoke
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I suggested long ago that the cruise lines take 10% of cabins and located them on the aft of the ship, and designate them smoking allowed cabins.

The smoke would then be limited to that area, and on a moving ship, would dissipate pretty quickly in that location. Those booking in that area would know they are booking into a smoking area.

Of course there would be the non-smokers who'd complain they are being denied the ability to book those aft cabins, without putting up with smoke
Kuki

There will never be a 100% complaint free solution but your proposed solution would cut down the number of complaints surely.

As a non-smoker,I would accept that. I don't believe it is reasonable,fair or realistic to expect 100% smoke-free enviroment.

Annie