Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Princess Special Offers are the real deal

I am just saying that I have been watching Princess prices - and when they hold a sale you had better take notice, because the discounts they offer over regular prices are significant.

I suggest you watch our "cruise deals" forums for posts about these sales when they come up - I just posted a new one good through July 9th.

But I feel like I am giving away a real secret here when I tell you...

"Don't book a Princess Cruise unless you do it during a sale" - You will pay significantly more for the same cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Admiral

I'm a believer!! How am I ever going to be able to pay $3,000 pp for a balcony again after this years deals! Just wish I had more vacation time.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I am just saying that I have been watching Princess prices - and when they hold a sale you had better take notice, because the discounts they offer over regular prices are significant.

I suggest you watch our "cruise deals" forums for posts about these sales when they come up - I just posted a new one good through July 9th.

But I feel like I am giving away a real secret here when I tell you...

"Don't book a Princess Cruise unless you do it during a sale" - You will pay significantly more for the same cruise.
Well, yes and no. If you are flexible, both for timing and itinerary, as well for cabin location and so on, then I have seen some real bargains out there.

However, if you have to plan ahead for vacation time, if you want a particular itinerary on a particular ship, if you are particular about cabin type and location -- waiting for a sale may not be for you.

The "sale" prices, at least the advertising teasers, are almost always for a lowest category guarantee, which might or might not suit you. Sometimes you can pick your category.

But the biggest problem with the sales is that are almost always on a short lead time, and it may be very difficult to get air fares. A great cruise price and a high air fare is no better than a normal cruise price and a good air fare.

So -- waiting for the sale might be right for some people. It is not for everybody. It seldom works for us.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I do see your point that they are usually for cruises coming up within the next few months. That is when the cruise line figure out that a ship needs to be sold so they drop prices.

Especially right after "full payment is due" date after some people cancel out.

In my articles I always say that "being flexible" is the key to finding good bargains.

1. Be date flexible, the same cruise four weeks apart can be discounted by over 50%.

2. Go where the market demands. Most people decide where they want to cruise that year instead of doing research to see where the bargains are. If you followed the bargains you would most likely go to all the same places, just not the same years. This year the Med is very softy, but Alaska is pricier - three years ago Alaska cruises were as low as $299.

3. I don't really agree anymore that sales are just for "lead in" prices for lower category cabins. These days, like on the Solstice class ships, the vast, vast majority of cabins are balcony, so the lower categories cost barely less because they sell out much faster.
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Admiral

I can only speak for the 3 or 4 that we looked at. Celebrity had all categories on sale and pretty much wide open on location - we originally had a giant balcony on the side of the hump. For our Ruby cruise that we ended up on, the Memorial Day sale on the September sailing, the Balcony Guarantee was the only balcony cabin to drop and that dropped to $1,799 pp. For the Fathers Day Sale every balcony cabin category dropped. BG guarantee was $1,299 up to a BA for I think $1,640, we spun the BG Guarantee wheel and got a mid ship BD for my TAs price of $1,199.

These sales were all before final payment, giving us about 11 weeks to find air if we needed it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Admiral

After reading Paul's thread I called our Travel Agent to get an update and to let her know we're interested in booking. Surprise of surprises she was NOT that sold on the sale. Her comments were almost ALL negative! All cabins are guarantee and most likely will not offer a good choice of location. Travel insurance will is not available at these prices...and so on. Can't figure out why she's so negative. From the comments here...if your flexible (which we are) and cabin location will not be a big deal...it's all 'cream'...

Anyone have a 'bad' experience with getting a 'cruise deal'?
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
After reading Paul's thread I called our Travel Agent to get an update and to let her know we're interested in booking. Surprise of surprises she was NOT that sold on the sale. Her comments were almost ALL negative! All cabins are guarantee and most likely will not offer a good choice of location. Travel insurance will is not available at these prices...and so on. Can't figure out why she's so negative. From the comments here...if your flexible (which we are) and cabin location will not be a big deal...it's all 'cream'...

Anyone have a 'bad' experience with getting a 'cruise deal'?
That's crazy. I'd honestly be surprised if she had all the cabin prices right now. My TA flipped me what she had on the last sale and it only showed inside, outside, balcony and mini prices, it wasn't broken down by BA, BB, etc until they appeared on Princess's website.

There are some sales that are totally bogus, Celebrity's 50% off 2nd passenger comes to mind, but Princess has had some killer deals lately.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I don't really agree anymore that sales are just for "lead in" prices for lower category cabins. These days, like on the Solstice class ships, the vast, vast majority of cabins are balcony, so the lower categories cost barely less because they sell out much faster.
Don't forget the lowest priced Solstice class balconies are obstructed view. They do not sell as fast as the lower price unobstructed balconies. The large online TAs have come on sales for these obstructed view balconies all the time. On most ships a cruiser does not have to be concerned w/obstructed balconies, but on the Solstice class know what you are booking.

O F C'er