CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   The Love Boat Made Me Do It! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/398324-love-boat-made-me-do.html)

Trip August 8th, 2013 06:42 PM

The Love Boat Made Me Do It!

With my post this morning, about the original Love Boat going to scrap, it got me to thinking.......back in the 70's I knew from nothing about cruising. I did actually know a "rich" person who sailed the Pacific Princess. I was captivated by this show, and after a few years of watching 2 late night reruns a night, I fianlly decided I had to try cruising..this must have been 1989,and I cruised in 1990.

Did this show ever have an impetus in your desire to cruise?

Dave Beers August 8th, 2013 07:07 PM

I admit I liked the show and watched it every time I could. In it's heyday I was in the Navy so it was something really foreign to me since we sure didn't sail in style. My ship pulled in to Curacao in 1981 and the Island Princess was in port at the same time, and I think it was for overnight. I remember just standing there looking at it and wondering if I could ever afford it. It was the first cruise ship I'd ever seen. I guess I could, and did!

Donna August 8th, 2013 08:55 PM

Yep, I am like you Trip, after watching that show, I always wanted to cruise and while the actual cruise wasn't quite like the show, it still had a lot that was...

Mike M August 8th, 2013 09:02 PM

Forgive me Triplet for I have sinned. :)

The show The Love Boat actually kept me from sailing for many years. It looked like a boring experience and one that I really wouldn't care to do.

My mother and sister-in-law loved the show and I did watch a number of episodes. I think I've watched in more since I started cruising than when it was first run. Then again, when it was first run I was working full time and going to college so I didn't have too much time for TV.

My opinion changed in 1999 when I just wanted a week where Betty and I could just get away. That's when I talked Betty into taking our first cruise on Celebrity Mercury. The rest is history.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan August 8th, 2013 09:09 PM

The Love Boat had nothing to do with my desire to cruise.

Manuel August 8th, 2013 09:21 PM

I used to watch the Love Boat but I could not take a cruise in those days.
I already knew about sailing since I had crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific.
When my Wife and I got married in 1998 we did a honeymoon cruise on the Celebrity Century.
Of course we loved it and have cruise 16 times since then.

TM

momofmeg August 9th, 2013 03:38 PM

Oh yes! Love Boat made us want to cruise.

Our first attempt at cruising was a ferry boat to Freeport from Ft. Lauderdale on Sea Escape in the late 80's because we did not really have the disposable income to pay for a cruise and that so-called cruise was cheap. Needless to say that did not hook us on cruising and it was another 10 years before we took a real cruise on Carnival Tropicale in 1998. The ship was old and a dump but they had a formal dining room that served great food, had great shows and we loved the piano bar. All of those things we did not experience on our ferry ride 10 years earlier. We were then hooked!

In September 2002 a month before the Pacific Princess left the fleet we cruised from NY to Bermuda on her and loved it! so much was nostalgic about her, (especially the pool) we kept expecting to see Gopher, Julie, and Isaac!

I must say too, as much as we love booking balcony staterooms, there is something about those small ships that is not the same on these big monsters that are cruising ships now.

We did several of the small older ships. Besides Pacific Princess and Tropicale, we also cruised the Statendam and Celebrity Zenith. Only the Statendam is still afloat I think. I miss those ships that carry 1200 or less.

It does not break my heart that the Tropicale, a dump anyway, was scrapped but I wish the oringinal Pacific Princess could have been saved and turned into a museum/hotel the way the original Queen Mary and Delta Queen have been.

Mike & Charlotte October 27th, 2013 09:38 PM

Oh, Yes! We watched the Love Boat religiously when we were young and poor. Then in 1991 I won our first cruise at a Boys & Girls Club Fund Raiser and became hooked immediately upon boarding the Sovereign of the Seas. 36 cruises later, we still love the Love Boat!