Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess to be pulled for repairs - already

It is being reported that the brand spanking new Royal Princess will be going in for repairs. There are have a large number of issues cumulating in the loss of power yesterday for at least 4.5 hours.

Those onboard now, it is being reported, will be off-loaded upon arrival in Naples, one day late. They will be flown home from there. 100% refund and a 25% FCC. It is not know how long the ship will be out of service.

This is a Carnival Company. Certainly not good for Carnival or Princess especially as this is a brand new ship.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just got this statement from Princess..

Here is the update on Royal Princess as of today, 9/23:

After yesterday’s power outage on Royal Princess as she was sailing in the Mediterranean between Mykonos and Naples, power was restored and the ship continued to Naples, where she is now scheduled to arrive early Tuesday morning. The ship’s technical team continued to evaluate the problem overnight and, upon further assessment, it became apparent that repairs need to be made to fully resolve the situation. We sincerely regret this means the remainder of the current cruise will be cancelled, and passengers will disembark the ship in Naples.

Passengers will be provided a full refund of their cruise fare, along with a 25% future cruise credit. Princess is making homeward air arrangements for passengers, and we anticipate that passengers will spend Tuesday night onboard and depart the ship on Wednesday. Subject to approval from our Flag State and Classification Society, Royal Princess will then depart for Barcelona with crew only.

We have dispatched a care team to Naples to ensure that all our passengers are provided with any assistance they may require.

The impact of the repairs on the next Royal Princess cruise, scheduled to depart from Barcelona on September 27, is not yet known and we will keep passengers fully advised as details become known.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for this unanticipated disruption of our passengers’ vacation plans, and we appreciate their patience and understanding of these circumstances.

Here is our statement from yesterday, 9/22:

Today at approximately 1:30 pm local time, Royal Princess experienced a power outage. Power is currently in the process of being restored, and in the meantime an emergency backup generator has been used to provide essential services, such as toilets. The ship is not in any danger, and the Captain has been keeping passengers regularly informed about the situation. The ship is currently on the seventh day of a 12-day Mediterranean cruise that departed Venice on September 15. There are 3,594 passengers and 1,336 crew members onboard.

Please let me know if you need anything else.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The worry, naturally, is the trans-Atlantic cruise coming up in October - Losing power is bad enough, but if it happened in the middle of the Atlantic (especially during a peak month for Hurricane season) it could be really bad.

I would not want to be on any dead in the water cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic for any amount of time. Even Royal Princess which is a large vessel.

It doesn't make any difference if she lost power, but also she has screws (not pods). Queen Mary 2 has pods and rides incredibly well through the Atlantic. I am not sure Royal Princess will feel quite as stable as QM2 does, but she did feel very stable to me when I was on her last year, however.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Admiral

When we were on the Radiance a year ago (April/May 2012), we lost power for about 2 hours sailing Hawaii/Vancouver. The weather was beautiful, it was calm and hot. No one got upset as they were too busy enjoying the gorgeous day.

However, I must admit I was a bit worried and just hoping they were going to get moving before dinner.

They did

But it is scary.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

At least they are 'owning up' to it.

I would be concerned if scheduled on next cruise or the TA.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Carny stock closed up .32 today. No big investor worries yet. We'll see what happens when people start to debarked and talk to the media, and if she sails on the 27th.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

QM2.. is made for the trans-atlantic crossings, can't compare the two in the way they R build-up.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, what a shame....a brand new ship. At least they are taking her in for the needed repairs now, before they have to cross the pond...Keep us posted.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Admiral

The main thing is that no one was injured and they had enough power to keep the toilets working.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have never been on a dead ship & believe me i don't want to be on one. I know she is one beautiful ship & i am looking forward to sailing on her one day, i know she will be fine.
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Royal Princess Update – Sept. 24
12 pm Pacific Time

Today Royal Princess remains in Naples as passengers continue to disembark the ship and travel home. We have appreciated our passengers’ patience and understanding as they’ve waited to receive their onward travel details being arranged by our shore team. Again, we are sincerely sorry for this unexpected disruption to their vacation.

After a technical assessment of the repairs required, we are pleased to report that the next cruise, voyage 1329 departing this Friday, is planned to operate as scheduled from Barcelona. The repairs will be made as the ship sails from Naples to Barcelona.

We look forward to welcoming our passengers onboard Royal Princess on Friday. The ship will depart at 7 pm as scheduled. The next cruise is a 12-day Mediterranean sailing ending in Venice.
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Great, sounds like a quick fix....I sure hope so for people traveling to Naples....Have my fingers crossed.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ray is booked on the ta.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 24th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Who is all going to join Ray on the crossing?? I know he is looking forward to this one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This suggests that whatever the problem was - it was not as bad as they originally thought that it might be. If they can fix it while the ship is sailing, it can't be that big a deal (in my own estimation).

The problem is that recent events have all the cruise lines spooked now, so the last thing they would ever want to take a chance on is having another ship dead in the water.

Now - in that light - we have now seen what can happen when ships go dead. The Splendor was bad, but the situation remained under control. However the ship did drift many miles overnight while they waited for tugboats to show up

The following situation - Triumph was the worse than Splendor by far, we know that.

But the WORST situation was Concordia - people forget that the reason she grounded was because she was dead in the water. And she ended up om a reef. I believe the crew was trying to drop the anchor first, but there was too much confusion at the time.
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I think the problems must be minor on the Royal Princess as Paul has stated.

But I know that Carnival is seriously concerned about the Sunshine Transatlantic. They have had serious weight problems and have not been able to fuel the ship to capacity. Everyone is wondering just how it's going to get across the Atlantic.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Snoozeman...If everyone is concern then Y sail on her.? And to cross the Atlantic.
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Admiral

I didn't say everyone was concerned. Most, perhaps 95%, of pax have no clue there are still problems on the Sunshine. I said Carnival is concerned. I'd say primarily about the back-lash from guests & possible bad press they will get if they have to once again divert to Freeport or similar as they did with the Magic. It won't look good if they have problems. Some Italian maritime press have been pretty forthright about some concerns and future refits have been put on hold. I understand she is heavy in the bow and new stabilizers have been recommended. I would not be surprised if I got a call delaying the TA sailing just as they did with the 1st cruises scheduled after the refit. Hope not.

I'm not concerned personally as I know I'll be safe, but I will be disappointed if we again spend time in an unscheduled port for fuel, service, or repairs. It would be too late to use the new Guarantee as I'm sure they wouldn't announce it within the 1st 24 hours, but sometime in the middle of the Atlantic.

Future Cruises:
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I didn't say everyone was concerned. Most, perhaps 95%, of pax have no clue there are still problems on the Sunshine. I said Carnival is concerned. I'd say primarily about the back-lash from guests & possible bad press they will get if they have to once again divert to Freeport or similar as they did with the Magic. It won't look good if they have problems. Some Italian maritime press have been pretty forthright about some concerns and future refits have been put on hold. I understand she is heavy in the bow and new stabilizers have been recommended. I would not be surprised if I got a call delaying the TA sailing just as they did with the 1st cruises scheduled after the refit. Hope not.

I'm not concerned personally as I know I'll be safe, but I will be disappointed if we again spend time in an unscheduled port for fuel, service, or repairs. It would be too late to use the new Guarantee as I'm sure they wouldn't announce it within the 1st 24 hours, but sometime in the middle of the Atlantic.
Transatlantics and Hawaii cruises are excluded from the 24 hr guarantee...
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot View Post
Transatlantics and Hawaii cruises are excluded from the 24 hr guarantee...
Of course....maybe I should go read the NEW CLIA bill of passenger rights... Perhaps something there?

I didn't really make a deal of the Magic problems although stuck for two days in Freeport, then two days in Progreso. Those things happen. But if they know they have problems yet sail anyway on the Sunshine I think I will be more concerned with their lack of openness with pax.

Future Cruises:
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Snooze man,

Since you seem to be tracking the Italian maritime pres. Are there concerns about the quality of work being done at the shipyard? That seems to be a common denominator for Carnival Magic, Splendor, Sunshine and Royal Princess.

I seem to remember that after the Splendor fire there were items flagged like documentation, labeling and implementation that didn't align.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Snooze man,

Since you seem to be tracking the Italian maritime pres. Are there concerns about the quality of work being done at the shipyard? That seems to be a common denominator for Carnival Magic, Splendor, Sunshine and Royal Princess.

I seem to remember that after the Splendor fire there were items flagged like documentation, labeling and implementation that didn't align.
I can only say that if I were the CEO of Carnival I would NOT use Fincantieri.

Future Cruises:

Last edited by Snoozeman; September 26th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Familiar Face

This is to be expected,it's brand new and there is always "bugs" that need to be worked out that don't show up on shipyard trials. After 24 years in the USN I used to see this all the time. At least no one got hurt and they got a free cruise out of the deal.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
This is to be expected,it's brand new and there is always "bugs" that need to be worked out that don't show up on shipyard trials. After 24 years in the USN I used to see this all the time. At least no one got hurt and they got a free cruise out of the deal.

I don't agree with you. This is a passenger ship, not the US Navy. It should not have broken down, they should not have had to cancel the balance of the cruise and although small issues may be possible, this is not good. Very poorly done on behalf of the building yard.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 27th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default poppadock

I think we all can agree that anything can happen at any time or place new or old. We all love to cruise, let us all hope for a good & safe cruise when we do sail. I know that Princess & Carnival R doing the best that they can to have their ships run safe & smooth, & that all who sail R safe. No one wants to lose business.
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I don't agree with you. This is a passenger ship, not the US Navy. It should not have broken down, they should not have had to cancel the balance of the cruise and although small issues may be possible, this is not good. Very poorly done on behalf of the building yard.
All I can say is I just "wasted" over 70K on a luxury BMW and it has been sitting in the dealers shop for 6 weeks for many many problems. Goes to show even the best built machines (and that's all a ship is) sometimes have problems.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:38 PM
Familiar Face

we are thinking about doing a cruise next year will we be okay to go on the ship next year?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I can only say that if I were the CEO of Carnival I would NOT use Fincantieri.

I certainly agree with that statement. Their track record is not very good.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie121 View Post
we are thinking about doing a cruise next year will we be okay to go on the ship next year?

You will be fine. Any major kinks will be well worked out by then.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
All I can say is I just "wasted" over 70K on a luxury BMW and it has been sitting in the dealers shop for 6 weeks for many many problems. Goes to show even the best built machines (and that's all a ship is) sometimes have problems.

You have more patience than I do. I would have demanded a refund or new car before 6 weeks.

A lemon is a lemon is a lemon. But cars do that way more than ships.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub