Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2000, 02:00 PM
Vicki C

Default Legend of the Sea

Anyone been on this ship? How does it compare to Dawn Princess? Am I not comparing Apples to Apples? How does it compare to Carnival Jubilee?
Thanks
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2000, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: Legend of the Sea

Hi ya Vicki,

I sailed on Legend of the Seas doing a Panama Canal itinerary. She's a lovely ship.
I haven't been on the Dawn, but have been on her sister Ocean Princess. Also a lovely ship.
Tough choice here. Legend maybe a bit livelier cruise.. Dawn food and service probably a notch above. I also think Legend's cabins have a better layout. Seem larger even though they're not.
While I haven't been on Jubilee, I don't think she can compare to these two. Though I believe some of Carnival's newer ships can.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 3rd, 2000, 03:45 PM
Yeoman

We have been on Legend twice--Panama Canal and Hawaii. 'We have reservations for Northern Europe next summer.

Legend is a more attractive ship, with a better layout. The dining room is much more attractive. And the Centrum doesn't compare. However, I prefer the pool area on Dawn. I would say food and service were comparable.
Old September 3rd, 2000, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Vicki,

I can't give you a comparison as I have never taken a cruise with either RCL or Carnival, but I have sailed on all three sisters to MV Dawn Princess and am ready to go back. These vessels have a fantastic layout with lots of activities for all tastes. The standard cabins are very functional, albeit a tad cozy, and they do have decent heads ("bathrooms" in landlubber speak) with decent shower stalls. My favorite daytime hang-out is the magical teak lounge chairs on the shady side of the promenade deck.

Norm.
Old September 3rd, 2000, 08:05 PM
BillG

Have sailed on the Dawn Princess and on Splendour of the Seas which is almost a twin of the Legend. Overall I would give Legend the advantage based on my experiences with similar types of rooms, and some misgivings I have about the layout of the public areas on Dawn Princess, the traffic patterns, and the lack of central elevators on Dawn which go from the lower decks all the way to the top. Food (to my taste) and service were excellent on the Dawn Princess, food was very good (to my taste)and service excellent on Splendour. If faced with having to choose between the two ships, I would probably let the itinerary be the deciding factor, although if they were both sailing similar itineraries, Legend would get a slight edge. We are currently looking at a British Isles cruise next Summer and have narrowed our choices to Legend of the Seas and Royal Princess. Anyone have comments on these two ships?
Old September 4th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Bill, We sailed on Royal Princess 3 years ago in the Baltic. Although it was a little older ship it was one of the best that I've been on. The staff was very nice, the food great, the excursions were handled very well. I also prefer the smaller size of this ship. We are going on Legend this November so I'm reading all that I can about it. ( I have yet to read anything bad )
Wendy
Old September 4th, 2000, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Vicky,
Found a review on Legend of the Seas here at Cruisemates and though it may help answer some of your questions.

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_RCI/legend1.html>

I've been on both Royal Caribbean and Princess and found Princess to be just a tad more reserved. The service and the food were excellent, while the RCCL cruises both were also good. I did enjoy the entertainment more on Rccl, they really had more hi-tech equipment in their theaters. Hope this helps.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 9th, 2000, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just came off of the Rhapsody in Alaska which is the sister ship to Legend. It was a beautiful ship and the food was quite good. The cabins were small,but held four of us with empty closet space. It was well designed.
We were looking at Royal Princess in the British Isles for next summer and Legend for Northen Europe. We chose Legend as the itineray was fantastic for the same price as Royal. Having just gotten off of Rhapsody made the decision final. We are really looking forward to our trip next June.
Old September 10th, 2000, 08:51 PM
Vicki C

Thanks for all your help. We are looking to go to Australia next year and just can't decide which cruise would be better. I like the pre and post cruise of Princess but the Legend stays longer in the ports. Think I will call TA tomorrow and get the shore excursion books from both ships and see how they compare.
Thanks again,
Vicki
Old September 10th, 2000, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Vicky,
Wow, tough decision time, good thing to check out the different excersions, hope that helps.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 19th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Lisette

My husband and I have sailed on Legend of the Seas in January 1999 through the panama canal. This cruise was our best, and I loved the ship so much, the service was excellent we had a great waiter named chen who just made every meal a pleasure. The food was excellent the entertainment great. We loved this ship so much that we are booked on one of her Royal Journeys Mombassa to Bombay with a Safari at the beginning can't wait. I would pick Legend over any other ship any day.