Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2000, 04:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default To Tux or Not to Tux

Ok everyone ... we're wondering whether we should go and buy tuxes for our two formal nights on our 7-night cruise.

The money is not so much an issue (we have a place where we can buy the whole shibang for $150 each) ... but what is everyone thoughts and percerptions of how many men go all out on cruise nights.

My personal feeling is that women have the great cocktail/evening dresses, why shouldn't we do the same? But I'm wondering whether the tuxes are the odd man out on board.

I know about the rental places on board, but at $85, it seems buying is the better deal.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Harry Martin
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: To Tux or Not to Tux

Harry,

There does seem to be a decline in the numbers of men wearing tuxes. My last few trips I'd say about 50% were in tuxes. But, there's nothing wrong with wearing a suit and tie.
Lately we've started noticing people not even willing to go that far, and that's when I decided it was time to buck the trend, and went and bought a tux.

I think the couple of "dress up nights" add a nice ambience to the ship, and personally would be kind of dissappointed to see that disappear. Guess my tux purchase was my statement into which direction I'd like to see this go. Heck I don't even wear my Kuki-moose antlers on formal night anymore.... well, rarely<G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 17th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Sharon and Will

Harry:

I agree with Kuki....I love the formalityof dressing up. My hubby purchased a tux after our second cruise and looks fabulous in it - not that he didn't look just fine when he simply wore a nice suit on the formal nights.

We enjoy dressing up for the 2 formal nights on board, however, on our 12 night cruise in the Med., there were 3 formal nights - and we both didn't want to bother dressing up for the third night.....we did the alternative dining that night.

As Kuki mentioned, it's about 50/50 for tuxes. We, too, appreciate dressing for dinner - whether it's a nice suit and dress (or classy slacks and blouse) or tux and cocktail dress. I'd hate to see this tradition change.
Old September 17th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too hate to see the decline in "formal nights". We're actually in the process of getting the husband a tux. I think all the men in tux's really adds something special to the atmosphere of the whole night, wish more would go and splurge on the tux. You may be suprised as to the uses of a tux if you had one at home.
Our daughter is getting married next year, so for us, the purchase of a tux will already be a good investment.

Lets fact it too guys, you look so nice all dressed up in a tux!

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 17th, 2000, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

harry,i just got off the enchantment last week,and there were many men in tuxes looking like dapper dans..nothing beats a well dressed couple entering the dining room or dancing across the dance floor..go for it,you willl look and feel like a million bucks......
Old September 19th, 2000, 02:51 AM
Admiral

Thank you, thank you to everyone for their input!! It was wonderful to know.

And, as I said to Art, "Women spend $100-$200-plus on a cocktail dress or evening gown, why is it that men quibble over buying something that no one will ever know they worn more than once."

We're spending the bucks to look like penguins!

Harry
Old September 23rd, 2000, 08:25 PM
sea lady

Go for the Tux... men look soooo good dressed up... my husband wears on on the first and second formal nights but not always on the 3rd on longer cruises.... on the QE2 it was so great to see tuxes almost every night... just a little of civalization that is rapidly going away... as an aside met an old lady from NY ( Tuxedo Park) who explained that the cc there was the first place that (tuxes were seen) quite scandelous... everyone wore tails but a group of young rebels redesigned the suits ... and all wore them... fad caught on and tuxedos were born...
Old September 23rd, 2000, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, but I just don't look forward to dressing up for dinner. I am a craftssperson by trade, so I don't have to dress up for work, incontrast to the "suit" crowd. In fact, I have never learned to tie a tie. I just don't feel comfortable in a suit or tux. But, if the wife wants, I will dress any way she wants. Left on my own, I'll dine in the alternate room on the formal night.
Old September 24th, 2000, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Thanks again for the posts -- though I know I would be more comfortable with no tie, I don't mind being constrained for look-purposes.

:-)

Harry
Old September 25th, 2000, 11:42 AM
New Cruiser

On board Majesty in June, there was only 1 man I saw dressed in tux - and WOW he really looked GREAT!!! To me, the choice depends on comfort! Of course, you can rent a tux on board & have it delivered to your room!
Old October 12th, 2000, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband has both a tux and a white dinner jacket. If I'm going to get all duded up, so is he. It's wonderful to see everyone dressed up.
Old November 15th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was offered a Tux for the entire cruise at a cost of about $100. All I had to do was get fitted at a local tux place & they put the measurements on a card. Then I called the Royal Caribbean office number provided. This is the only way to go. Formal nights on a cruise ship are so cool that a tux makes them all the more special. You feel like James Bond or something! GET ONE!!