Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Passenger

Default Explorer ... What to expect

Hi!
My fiance and I are going to be married in St. Thomas during our cruise on the Explorer this December. Neither of us have been on a cruise before .. Can anyone offer any good pointers? How expensive are activities on the ship? What activities do you have to pay for? Any opions on shore excursions ... must do's? Any type of input would sure be a great help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Ceddie

Default RE: Explorer ... What to expect

Tanya Congratulations on your upcoming marriage I wish you all the best.
In answer to your questions we have a great chat here at cruisemates every weekday night at 9:00pm eastern time, there are people here who will be only too happy to answer all your questions or if you wish you can just watch the rest of us chat and jump in if you want.

Look forward to seeing you there

Ceddie

P.S. looks like a great ship
Old October 28th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Tanya wrote:
>
> Hi!
> My fiance and I are going to be married in St. Thomas during
> our cruise on the Explorer this December. Neither of us have
> been on a cruise before .. Can anyone offer any good pointers?
> How expensive are activities on the ship? What activities do
> you have to pay for? Any opions on shore excursions ... must
> do's? Any type of input would sure be a great help. Thanks.

Tanya,
Congratulations on the upcoming marriage! The only activities on the ship that u have to pay for are, drinking, gambling, shopping, bingo and art auctions. I haven't been on Explorer yet, but reports coming back about the ship are excellent.
For tips for first timers I suggest you do a search (click "search" on the left side of the home page, near the bottom), and type in first timers. Lots of great articles and info for U.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old October 31st, 2000, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals. You have picked a grand way to celebrate and honeymoon. In addition to the tips, Kuki mentioned, don't forget those pictures the ships photographers take cost a lot of money today, so just look and decide which ones you must buy for your album. Laundry/dry cleaning is extra as would be specialty coffees. A Wine tasting class will also cost extra. Don't forget to budget for tips. This is easy and I recommend doing it before you cruise, just put an envelope with cash aside so you won't be tempted to dip into it: Recommended tips: $7 a day per couple for both the Room Steward/Stewardess and the Waiter in the main dining room- for 7 nights and if I go to the dining room each night = $50 each person; for the assistant waiter= $3.50 per day = $25.00. Bar bills and wine steward tips are automatically added to the bill. If you are given a bottle of wine or champagne in your room and you wish to bring it to the table to share, just ask your room steward who will carry it to the dining room and give it to your wine steward to chill, but a "corkage" fee will be added to the bill. If the maitre de or head waiter extend any special services to you both, you may want to tip them separately as well but this is not manditory. Spa service providers should be tipped as well, but on our last Celebrity cruise, those tips were added automatically on the bill, so beware. i.e. for a hairdresser, massage, manicure, etc.

Obviously you will be very busy in St. Thomas, but if time allows just take a taxi to Magens Bay or a tram up Paradise Mountain right across from the pier. In St. Martin if you feel energetic (but you must book in advance) do the America's cup tour or taxi to Orient Beach and return to town for shopping in the afternoon. The bargains seem to be better in St. Martin.

Bon Voyage
Old November 6th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Heather Fields

Congratulations! I am also getting married in St. Thomas in May via the Explorer. I would like to keep in contact with you to see how it went and to see if you have any pointers for me. What location did you choose? I think that we are going to have the ceremony at Blackbeard's castle -We have 30-40 guests sailing with us and that is one of the only locations that could accomodate that many people.

If this is your first cruise, you are in for a treat - from everything that I have read this is a great ship. There seems to be something for everyone.

Again, if its not too much trouble, please let me know how it went! Best wishes!

Heather Fields
Old November 6th, 2000, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Congrats to you too Heather. We aren't having that many ppl join us on the cruise, but we will be having 6 guests with us for our wedding. We choose to have it on Magens Bay. I'll let you know all about once we are back. If you would like I have some pictures of weddings in St. Thomas (castle/church/beach) that I can forward to you. Send me an email to tbanic@yahoo.com and I will reply with the photos that Royal Romance sent me.

Cheers!
Old November 15th, 2000, 11:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

Hi...
We just returned from the Explorer...
We were the first couple ever married aboard the Explorer of The Seas...
We married in the chapel...
It was like a fairy tale...

Girls...
When we ported at St. Thomas...I was very glad that I didn't choose
the St. Thomas wedding....it was very very hot!
So make sure your dresses aren't to heavy...
I'm sure all will work out just fine, I seen a bride that day
who was married in St. Thomas.
St. Thomas is beautiful...I wish you all the best!