Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2001, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Default Just got off Explorer of the Seas...

Hello all:

I just got off the Explorer of the Seas, it was the best cruise vacation I've ever taken, I'm a Platinum member with Royal and I must say they've out done themself with this ship. I am already booked to return with them in March on the Voyager. If you have any questions, I'll be willing to answer them.

Steve M.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2001, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just got off Explorer of the Seas...

Fantastic!! I've heard so many wonderful things about Explorer. We're sailing her 4/21 and sailed Voyager last year which was also great.

What type of cabin were you in?

Have a great day...Denise :-)
Old January 22nd, 2001, 03:58 PM
First Mate

We were on deck 6, in a DB cat. It had a balcony and was very nice. The cabin was much larger than any other RCI ship I've been on.

Steve....
Old January 22nd, 2001, 05:57 PM
Lorraine Sadler

I know exactly how you feel. We just returned from 7 days on Voyager and it was like no other ship we've ever sailed on. A truly fantastic experience. I was told that Adventurer of the Seas is coming out this year and will have an itinerary that includes Aruba (my favorite island). I'm hoping to take the entire family on one of these large ships because of the activities available. Plan on taking Legend to Scandanavia(a 12-day that includes 2 days in Russia) in July 2002.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Steve,
Its so great hearing about your recent Explorer cruise. We're really looking forward to going on Explorer in April, guess we just miss you. We're on Deck 7 with a balcony, sounds like the same size cabin you had?? Anything we should NOT miss on the ship??

Donnassei
Old January 22nd, 2001, 11:29 PM
Larry Wagner

Hi Steve. My Wife and I sail on Exployer on 2/3/01 and cant wait. Any sugestions on an excurtion for St. Thomas. We already know what we want to do in the other ports. (We dont drink, but love to sight see)
Old January 22nd, 2001, 11:29 PM
First Mate

When you get onboard book your shore excursions the first day, as they will fill up very quickly. I didn't eat in the Portofino (as addtional $20.00 charge) but I heard it was fantastic. The dinning room was great, i wouldn't want to miss dinner. Oh, don't miss the "Time Warp" game, its like double dare, you'll find it in Studio B...lots of fun. Other than that, have fun I will be sailing again in March on the Voyager and I'll let eveyone know how that was..

Steve M.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 12:13 PM
Sandhya Seshadri

Default Explorer of the Seas question

Hi,
We are booked on a cruise next month on this new ship, and I wanted to know how the quality of the food was, compared to other cruises you've been in:

1) Is there an additional charge for dining at the Italian
restaurant

2) Do they charge for soft drinks?

How is the variety of food--is it all mostly continental cuisine?

Anything else you liked about the ship - all the onboard activities..any tips on things to do or must-sees? Do they do anything special for the Crown&Anchor society members?

Thanks, Sandhya

Steve wrote:
>
> Hello all:
>
> I just got off the Explorer of the Seas, it was the best
> cruise vacation I've ever taken, I'm a Platinum member with
> Royal and I must say they've out done themself with this
> ship. I am already booked to return with them in March on
> the Voyager. If you have any questions, I'll be willing to
> answer them.
>
> Steve M.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 05:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Explorer of the Seas question

To give a general answer to your question, yes the food is fantastic, don't believe those who say the quality has gone down due to the size of the ship. The food quality has maintained their all time best.

1. Yes, to eat at the Portofino their is a fee of $20.00 per person, I did not eat their but I was told by some passengers traveling with us that it was worth every penny.

2. Soft drinks are free in the dinning room only. Everywhere else it comes out of a can, therefore you must pay. Although, ice tea and leamonade are avaiable no charge.

3. The food is your basic, meat, chicken, fish, pasta dishes...if you you've ever been on an RCI cruise it will certainly be familier.

They do have the crown & anchor reception one night, the captain speaks and the bar is open.

Make sure you make it to the "Time Warp Game" in studio B, its a lot of fun. Book your shore excursions the first day you get onboard, you can do so on your tv through use of the Remote control. Otherwise, have fun. I'll be back with the Voyager in March and can't wait.

Steve.....
Old January 23rd, 2001, 05:27 PM
Steve M

Larry,

If you've never been to St. Thomas before its your shopping day. Tons and tons of stores with great deals on electronics and jewlery. If your traveling with your wife, you'll be stuck in a jewlery store for most of the day. Outside of shopping, Megan's Bay is very nice, its a beach that many guest go to for the day. There are many sight seeing tours, but my suggestion would be to get a cab driving to take you around instead of paying for a shore excursion. Often times its alot cheaper and you'll see more. Remember to negoiate the price before getting into the cab. Oh, beware of cab drivers with vans, if you need a lift and you get into one of those they will not leave until they have jammed packed everyone possible into your cab. You'll end up waiting forever to leave because they are trying to maximize their profits.

Steve....
Old January 23rd, 2001, 09:07 PM
Passenger

Steve I was wondering what time you boarded and was there long lines? We're sailing Feb.3rd and getting anxious. Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2001, 09:59 PM
Larry Wagner

Thanks Steve you have been verry helpful. Hi Brad its getting verry close We are also going on Feb. 03.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 10:25 PM
First Mate

We got to the pier at 11:30AM, boarding does not begin until noon. The registration line to get your documents strightened out is fast and short. The actual boarding of the ship is long, because they take you digital picture before you board and store the image in a database. It will take a total of 15-25 mins to get through this line (it will seem alot longer).

Steve....
Old January 24th, 2001, 12:14 AM
Passenger

Thanks again Steve and hello again Larry. Yes it won't be long now and before you know it it will be over. I have to talk my wife into longer cruises.I'm hoping for sunny and HOT weather, maybe we'll see you onboard.
Old January 24th, 2001, 11:35 AM
George in NY

Steve, Welcome home, great that you had a wonderful cruise. Can't wait until we sail in June.

George in NY
Old January 24th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Larry Wagner

Hey Brad we are hoping for good weather also. Since the ship is so big dont know if we will see you on bord or not? But we will be on the bus for the Rain forrest tour in San Juan if you are planning the same Excursion?
Old January 26th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Hi Larry I don't think we'll be going on the tour. I think we'll walk around town again and enjoy the ship. Have a nice flight and a great cruise.
Old January 26th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Larry Wagner

Ok Brad hope you also have a nice flight and Cruise. Just 8 days left.
Old January 27th, 2001, 02:21 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

Glad you had a great cruise. We are thinking of booking this cruise for June. We are curious if the rock climbing wall and the rollar blade track are open all the time, or just open a hour a day, do they cost extra, and are the lines long. Thanks
Old January 27th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Steve M

There is no cost for using the rock climbing, ice skating, in-line, or golf. They are open everyday, although while in port they are closed. Anytime you are at sea or leaving and coming into port its open. Golf is always open though. Have fun, the rock wall isn't as easy as it looks---Good Luck.

Steve....
Old January 30th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Lindy

Steve-Sounds like you had a fantastic cruise. We are booked on Explorer in April and looking forward to it! Cruised on Voyager last April and all I can say is "AWESOME".
Old January 31st, 2001, 02:50 AM
Steve M.

Lindy,

Good to hear, I am booked on the Voyager for the March 11th sailing of this year for spring break. I'm looking forward to the trip, from what I understand the ships are identical like the Majesty, Monarch, & Sov. Enjoy your trip.....

Steve M.
Old January 31st, 2001, 05:27 PM
bernice

we were on the explorer 12.30.01 and it being our 7th cruise... was absolutely
THE BEST!
We met wonderful people... we've even booked again on the new sister ship
the adventure of the seas for 12.30.01!!
enjoy
enjoy
enjoy
for anyone taking the explorer!