Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Butchart Gardens - bus, taxi or RCI tour?

We will be in the port of Victoria off the Radiance on September 19 and plan to visit Butchart Gardens. The RCI tour is $50 a piece, but the admission to the Gardens is only $18 each. We were trying to check taxi prices on line - appear to be about $18 American each way. And an all day pass on the bus system is only $4 American.

Has anyone done this on his/her own? Any recommendations to keep costs down, but be sure of a prompt return and as little wasted time as possible?

Only 3 more weeks!!!
Beth
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2001, 12:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Butchart Gardens - bus, taxi or RCI tour?

Keep in mind that the admission price is in Cdn. so that's about $12.00 us. So for two of you they want $100 us? Ouch!! I'm not sure about cabs, but I think i'd find another way to get there, heck you could rent a car.
Old August 26th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

You are right! I have been trying to remember to change all the prices, but missed that one. So you can see why we feel we can do it ourselves less expensively. On the other hand, we don't necessarily want to spend hours on a bus.

So, still hoping for some tips.
Old August 27th, 2001, 11:11 AM
nicstress

Beth,

I saw in a review that someone mentioned you can take a shuttle from the ship to the Empress Hotel, where there is a bus station and you can buy a ticket to the gardens. Here are a couple of web sites that have bus tours listed. Again, prices are in Canadian, so they are a pretty good deal, about half what RCI is charging.
I am sailing Oct. 8 so I will look forward to your review when you return! Have fun!

Nicole

http://sightseeing.ca/what_to_do.htm

http://www.victoriabcguide.com/rbline.htm
Old August 27th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you, Nicole! I went to both those sites and will show them to my husband when he comes home. Sounds like an excellent way to save some money and have the security of a scheduled tour group.

I will be sure to write about our trip on our return!

Beth
Old August 29th, 2001, 04:39 PM
BillG

Many shore excursions of this type can easily be replicated for an amount significantly lower than what a tour will cost you. If you can determine that the alternative transportation available to you is reliable and can assure your return to the ship in ample time to meet the boarding deadline, by all means do the trip on your own. Allow plenty of time in beautiful Butchart Gardens. We really enjoyed it and would love to have had more time there.