Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2001, 03:51 PM
Mike in IL.

Default New liquor laws for RCCL.

Has anyone traveled 9/2 thru 9/9 on the
VOS ? ; And have you experienced the NEW
NO CARRY ON LIQUOR rules? Bought on ship
is stored, or you can pay extra $10.00 to take
it to your cabin. Any purchase off ship was stored
till last day of cruise. This was our 14 th. cruise with
RCCL and my be our last.
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2001, 06:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: New liquor laws for RCCL.

This rule was in effect when we were on Voyager in June. I brought a bottle of wine from home and was never questioned. Attitudes may have changed since then but in June it was "Don't ask, don't tell".

By the way. How much can you drink? Even if you have to pay $10 to take liquor to your room it is a pittance compared to bar service prices. I have cruised with RCL 3 times and will be sailing Dec 2nd on Adventure. My experience with them has been great and yours must better to have 14 cruises under your belt. I wouldn't abandon them for $10.
Old September 23rd, 2001, 12:10 PM
Mike & Kathy Jol.

Steve;
My thought is that, I want to know going in.
Change the rules but let everyone know. The
next time I guess I have to have my agent
check. I don't want a search and seizure
rule of my carry-on bottle of Boones Farm.
Old September 23rd, 2001, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mike in Illinois,
This is Donna in Illinois. I have not yet heard of RCCL changing the liquor laws, but in light of recent events, thats possible. We cruised on Explorer in April and had no problems brings liquor onboard. I should be hearing from some folks from Cruisemates that will and had been cruising on Explorer this last week and then again this week and next, (make sense?), and we should get some feedback from them. I have to agree, like to know before hand, but then again the $10 will not make me cruise another line because of it. Lets hope its a temporary thing??

Take care,

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 23rd, 2001, 05:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Especially since the 10.00 was probably more than the cost of the boones farm!!
Mike, you must update the quality of your wines! !!
Old September 23rd, 2001, 10:48 PM
Seatravelers

We sailed on the Explorer in the last 2 weeks, and on the Grandeur in April. Both times there was information in our cabins upon arrival concerning liquor. All liquor purchased ashore is stored until the last day of the cruise. We bought champagne & scotch in St. Maarten in April and it was stored for us. No problem for us, as we knew in advance and we weren't going to drink it on the cruise anyway. The tagging process at the gangway was painless and there was no searching of packages. They asked and you could tell them anything, i suppose. It was apparent that we had liquor, as we had a box that is hard to conceal.
We have sailed with Royal Caribbean 13 times and this issue surely wouldn't stop us from going back, as a matter of fact, we will be on the Adventure December 9th.
Happy sailing...
Seatravelers....
Old September 24th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Philip

Hi,
I have to agree with Steve. I just got off the Explorer Saturday. We usually take on our own liquor, but didn't this time because we knew there'd be heightened security. BUT, the price you pay to buy it in their onboard store plus the $9 to take it back to your room is STILL less than what you'd pay on land anyway. So why lug on all that extra weight?

BTW, we brought home a liquor price list, so if anyone wants to know prices...

Have a great trip!

Philip
Old September 24th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Mike & Kathy Jol.

Thanks for the feedback! The
main reason I brought this question
up again is to see if the feedback would
be the same that Eric got for a similar
question on 9/ l8 / 01. Tracey we drink
better. Donna, are you a travel agent?
I've read many of your responses and
you respond with knowledge. Being from
IL maybe we will run into you cruising.
!
Old September 24th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mike & Kathy,
Nope, not a travel agent, just like to cruise. May-be we will meet onboard sometime, you never know :-) Happy Cruising.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 24th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from a Radiance cruise and carried on bottles of wine and champagne (1 each) with no problem - we didn't try to hide it, as it was in a bag by itself. We wouldn't normally take alcohol onboard, but it was given to us as a bon voyage gift by people we visited in Seattle prior to the cruise, and we couldn't drink it before we left! We fully expected it to be confiscated until we disembarked, but no one said a word. We had the wine with dinner at Chops and the champagne at Portofino's, and both staffs graciously served it - there is a corkage fee, but I don't recall how much it is. My sense was that the boarding personnel had much more important things on their minds, at the time, than confiscating alcohol.
Old September 25th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Mr. Tom

We had a similar experience on a fourteen day out around Britain, Norway and Amsterdam, on the RCCL Legion of the Seas You could buy the liquor on board also with an uncorking fee . I think it was $8.00 for wine and $10.00 for hard liquor.
Old September 26th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Admiral

What in the world is "Boones Farm"?
Old September 26th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Boones farm is a very very cheap wine that tastes like kool-aid. Its really bad, but that's just my opinion. Growing up, my friends parents enjoyed it alot. But then again, they aslo enjoyed super cheap beer.
Old September 28th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Lady Jag

You can always put it in your checked luggage and hope no one notices it!
Old September 29th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Yeoman

We, too, were stunned with the new liquor rules. We researched it with ship personnel and her it is. Wine and champagne are allowed to be brought on board, hard liquor is not. You can pay the additional 9.50 to take it to your cabin. We were told this policy started about 3 months ago after some very unruly passengers were taking bottles and bottles up to the Viking Lounge and just getting glasses and ice. (This was an Alaskan cruise). Anyway, they were drinking heavily and wouldn't leave. Soooo, a few rotten apples spoiled this luxury for the rest of us. Happy Cruising!
Old September 29th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Sealady

I would hope that in the light of recent developments that the cruise lines would have better things to do that confiscate alcohol..The alcohol situation is a monster that they have created...In the early days of cruising after you left the teritorial waters drinks were cheap ... now the cruise lines are still selling the "tax free" liquor for outrageous prices Since the cruise lines are over built... they are looking for new revenue...It is very hard to spend a day at sea without spending "big bucks" because there is very little to do that is free..It is a whole new day for cruising but not a beter one!.
Old October 2nd, 2001, 10:29 PM
Jim and Karon

I love a good drink as much as anyone, but I really can't believe that one cannot have a good time on a day at sea unless they have a drink. I have been on 20 cruises, leaving for 21 tomorrow on the Rhapsody. I have never thought I must drink to have a good time. I have found that if money is an issue, one can cruise for nothing more than the cost of the tips, which is optional anyway. In other words, you can spend nothing. If money isn't an issue, then what's the big deal. It depends on you and what you want to spend. I certainly wouldn't blame it on the cruise lines. With cruises becoming so cheap now, the cruise lines must make money somehow. Would you rather see them(the cruise lines) go out of business. Have you ever compared the cost of a drink at a resort or tourist hotel? Do you think those places should let you bring your own liquor into their establishment also? What about the free drinks at the Welcome Aborad Party and the Repeater's Party? Who pays for them?
I guess what I am saying is if drinking is so important to you and you can't afford the price of a drink, perhaps you should wait to take a cruise until you can afford to buy it.

Karon