Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Michael & Missy

Default Just back from Radiance (last night)! Any questio

We just returned last night (actually early early this morning). We had a wonderful time!!!! If you have any questions, we'll be more than happy to answer them!
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just back from Radiance (last night)! Any que

going on dec. 10 on the granduer, were you able to take your own
bottle, or did they take it away.
Old November 6th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Missy & Michael

We went with a group of 11. My brother brought his own bottle of rum in his luggage with no problem. My sister and her husband bought some wine with no problems. We saw many people bringing on cases of beer with no problem. However, we did see others that bought liquor on shore and when they returned to the ship, it was taken and tagged and then given back to them at the end of the cruise. I think the only problem is that they don't want you buying your own liquor and mixing your own drinks, cuz that is where they make a lot of their money. Like I said, my brother had no problems with bringing it in his own luggage.?.

This has all changed since the last time we cruised (6/98 on the Grandeur). Each ship may be different, but I doubt it. We have cruised several times before and have seen many HAPPY people returning to the ship from the Rum Factory tours (Cayman Islands & Puerto Rico) loaded (no pun intended ;0) with boxes of Rum.

Hope this was somewhat helpful!
Old November 7th, 2001, 12:48 AM
Passenger

Hello,

I am going on Radiance on 11/17. What kind of room did you have and was it nice?

How was the service on the ship? This will be my 8th RCCL cruise. and I am a little worried the service may not be up to standards due to the fact they may be taking on new crew for the first caribbean cruise.

Matthew
Old November 7th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, I just got a really good deal for January 12 - 18. I booked through the Internet. Now I heard that Royal Caribbean is selling of cheap cabins because of trouble with their food and employees. Is that true? Can you tell me anything good so I can look forward to this cruise? This will be my first cruise with Royal Caribean the last 2 years we sailed with Carnival.Thank you.Patricia
Old November 7th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

What did you think of the food, both dining room and buffet? How are the cabin sizes? It has been a long time since our last RCCL cruise--sailing on the Radiance on 4/6/02. Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Lady Jag

We just did the Radiance a couple weeks ago also. We had no problem at all with bringing on a bottle of alcohol. We packed it in our luggage instead of putting it in the carry-on. I think that made a big difference. If they see it, they may take it. If they don't see it, then no problem.
Old November 7th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Lady Jag

Matthew - We are usually Princess cruisers and didn't expect much at all from the Radiance. Boy, were we surprised! We have NEVER had such wonderful service from the crew. They were willing to bend over backwards to please us. They had a real energetic quality and were very happy people. I don't know if it will be the same crew for the Caribbean, but I'm sure some will stay, if not the majority. They really seemed happy to be working together and to be on such a beautiful ship. It was the best cruise we've ever had!
Old November 8th, 2001, 12:10 AM
Michael & Missy

Hey, Matthew, Elaine & Patricia-

We would have to say that this was our best cruise yet (3rd cruise - 2nd on RCCL)!!! We went with a group of 11 (siblings, their spouses, parents, & friends - no kids this go around). We all had an amazing time!!!

The service was phenomenal!!!! Especially, our Dining Room service - our waiter (Paul - South Africa) & asst. waiter (Andre - Bali) were the absolute best!!!!!! They were always on their toes and sooo sweet (my family wanted to adopt them by the second day). Matthew - if you get the chance to have these guys tell them Michael, Melissa, Bill, Melodie, and the rest of our crew say "Hi!". They should still be there for your cruise. Paul will be leaving at the end of December to go back home. These guys made up for the fact that the food was, at times, slow going.

The food was really good this cruise. Our last cruise (Grandeur '98) the Windjammer food was a little less than mediocre. On this cruise everyone found it exceptional. My husband, dad and brothers kept raving about the shrimp and sushi (I'm not a seafood eater). The Windjammer this go around was a lot better - and once again, the service was GREAT!!! You could barely wipe your mouth from your last bite before the plate was taken away. The rest of the crew was really fun!! We got to be friends with several (Paige & Coby, to name a couple - if you see them, tell them Bo's sister, Melissa says "Hi!") They were soooo sweet!!!

We were in an outside cabin on the port (left) side on deck 3! It was the typical cruise size room. These rooms were a little different from our last RCCL room, in that they had a mini-fridge stocked with water, snacks, & soft drinks (not free). My parents had a port side balcony room on deck 7. One draw back was that their balcony overlooked a lifeboat (not really that big of a deal). They said we had a better view of the water than they did - but they still loved their room. It was especially great when we went by the volcanoes at night - we didn't have to fight for a spot along the rail.

Patricia - I would not be nervous about booking this cruise. It was wonderful!!!! The more experience the crew gets (a lot were new), the better they will get. And, in our opinion, we thought they were great!!!! We definitely found the service to be much better than our Carnival cruise.

Any more questions, we would love to help!!!

Missy
Old November 8th, 2001, 01:03 AM
Passenger

The only reason you are getting cheap rooms is the economy is suffering and the events of 9-11 made people afraid to fly. I go on RCCL every year and although I do not gain weight due to my activities, I eat their great food till I almost burst.

Example of Matthew's dinner: Appetizer, soup, salad, 3 entree's, dessert, double espresso. Oh I forgot the bottle of wine. I go to dinner 180 pounds and leave 190.

Matthew
Old November 8th, 2001, 01:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Patricia wrote:
>
> Hi, I just got a really good deal for January 12 - 18. I
> booked through the Internet. Now I heard that Royal Caribbean
> is selling of cheap cabins because of trouble with their food
> and employees. Is that true? Can you tell me anything good so
> I can look forward to this cruise? This will be my first
> cruise with Royal Caribean the last 2 years we sailed with
> Carnival.Thank you.Patricia
Patricia,
Don't have any idea of where u heard this.. but it's nonsense. All the cruise lines are dropping prices drastically because of the general drop in travel after 9-11.

You'll have a great cruise, and should be delighted you get to go at greatly discounted rates!!

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 8th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you so much for your replys. I'm really looking forward to this cruise.
Have you any comments on tour excursions? How about exploring Barbados on your own. Did you hear anything about that America's Cup Regatta on St.Maarten?
Again, thank you.Patricia
Old November 8th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Lady Jag

I'd have to agree with Michael & Missy about the Windjammer food. It really was terrific! One day, they had fabulously-smelling, freshly grilled hamburgers with tons of toppings (I'm a vegetarian), another day an incredible sushi bar, and still another day, delicious Wraps of varying kinds. My husband just absolutely loved the selection of meat. They had steak also and tons of pasta dishes that they would cook up fresh in front of your eyes, just the way you wanted them. It really was good!
Old November 8th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks M&M. The anticipation is certainly building!!!
Old November 8th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Michael & Missy

Hey, Patricia!

We have not done the Southern Caribbean (yet!) - we have done the Western & Eastern and now this Hawaiian. Therefore, we have not been to Barbados or St. Maarten (my parents and brother & sister-in-law loved these two ports). We have been to St. Thomas, where we took a snorkeling trip over to St. John's Trunk Bay.

We know you are going to LOVE your cruise!!!!!! It is going to be absolutely wonderful. The ship is BEAUTIFUL and the service great!!!

If you have any other questions, we would love to try and help!!
Missy
Old November 10th, 2001, 11:42 PM
First Mate

I've been thinking of booking a balcony cabin for Hawaii next Oct. 31st. I have a couple questions that it doesn't seem that I can get an answer for.

1 - Do you know if the balcony cabin had any kind of divider between the bed and seating area for nightime privacy. (Third person -mom- may be joining us...)

2 - Was there miniature golf on board? If so, do you know if there was a charge for it.

3 - Were there any specialty restaurants? Again, were there added fees and did you try it. (I was just on the Infinity - SS United States was $25/pp but well worth it!)

4 - Did you use the Solarium pool? What was that like? (I loooooved the Thalasotherapy pool on the Infinity!!)

Thank you so much for your time and help,
-pfs
Old November 11th, 2001, 01:41 AM
Michael & Missy

Hey, Peter!

We will try to answer your questions the best we can! ;0)

1) Depending on which balcony room you want, this information could change. My parents had a balcony room on deck 7 port (left) side. They got this room, in hopes of sharing it with my brother (the only single one in our group). However, upon arrival they realized this was not gonna happen. There is no divider for nightime privacy, and the "couch" (if you could call it that) was not much bigger than a recliner (width wise) and did not open up. There was a bunk bed that folded down from the ceiling, however, it folded down directly over the bed my parents were sleeping in. Not good!!! They were told that the "couch" would fold out into a bed (maybe for our 2 yr old but definitely not for a 27 yr old man). Luckily, the ship was not full and my brother was able to get an inside cabin all to himself. Good thing, because for 10 days it could get a little cramped!!! ;0) Maybe it is possible that some balcony rooms do have couches that fold out. And it is possible the higher in the ship you go maybe it gets better. Maybe!

2) There was miniature golf on board and it did NOT cost extra to play. It never really seemed like there was that much of a wait either!! ;0) Just be careful of the wind. There is also a basketball/volleyball court, a rock climbing wall and a water slide, none of which cost extra.

3) There were 2 specialty restaurants on board, Chops Grille and Portofino's. They did cost extra to dine there ($20/pp). On a couple of nights they had a murder mystery dinner theater that cost a little more. We never did eat at either of the restaurants, however we heard that they were just about what was in the Dining Room. ?.

4) The Solarium pool area was usually pretty full. The water in this pool was a little bit warmer than the outdoor pool. The hot tub in the Solarium pool was always full. We had some rather windy and cool days which added to the popularity. There is an aromatherapy suite available in the Spa area for $15/day or $50/the whole trip - this included, dry and moist saunas, cool mist or warm rain showers, and heated (wonderful!) tile chairs which had the most beautiful view through the glass wall (2 of the saunas also had glass walls).

If you are going to book next year for Oct. 31, a lot of people dressed up on our cruise. If you are one that likes to dress up for Halloween, you will not be alone!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask - hopefully we can help!
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Matthew,

My wife and I are also going on the 17th. We have a balcony on deck 8. This is our first RCCI cruise. We have cruised on Princess and Disney's Big Red Boat. From what I am hearing and reading, the Radiance seems to be one of the prettiest ships on the sea. Let's hope this is true.

Maybe we will catch up with you sometime during the trip.
Old November 12th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am on the Radiance Jan 26 with my sisters. We are on deck 7 in the family suite and wondering if we will hear any noise from the Colony Club below. I would love to know if you (or anyone else) has any info on this. The family suite is available on deck 8. My TA is giving me a hard time about trying to change to that one. Any input would be helpful. And thanks for all the great information. I can't wait for this cruise!
Old November 12th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Lady Jag

Jo - Any TA that would give you a "hard time" about changing cabins isn't worth your business! It is incredibly simple for a TA to change cabins for you. All it takes is about 10 mins. of their time if the cabin you want is available. Don't let the TA put you off and opt for the Deck 8 if possible.
Old November 14th, 2001, 12:29 AM
First Mate

In addition to the $15/day spa, there are also regular saunas and steam rooms you don't have to pay for, is that correct?

And how big is the jogging track?

And finally, did you have trouble getting a pool chair, or not really.

Thanks for telling us about your trip. Sounds like a wonderful ship.
Old November 14th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Was there a midnight Buffet? I read in a review somewhere that the Midnight Buffet was eliminated on the Radiance.

Thanks
Old November 14th, 2001, 10:46 PM
Michael & Missy

Hey, Paul & Jenn!

Paul - I don't think that there are any saunas and steam rooms that you can use without paying for them. Unless they are in the locker rooms of the gym area (didn't look in there). I do know that in the spa area it is called the "Thermal Suite" with the charges that I mentioned previously.

The jogging track went pretty much all the way around deck 12 and was well used.

Getting a pool chair was not too bad on our cruise. I don't know if this was the particular cruise we were on (demographics were a little older), weather, time of year, or none of the above. If you do have trouble getting right next to the pool, there are usually a lot of unused chairs on the second deck that you can arrange the way you want. There is also a small section by the basketball court that is quite shielded from the wind.

Jenn - There were 2 midnight buffets on our particular cruise. One was a pool party the night that we went by the flowing lava, and the other was the usual "Gala Buffet". These were the only 2 late night buffets that were offered. However, if you still want food there are several options - Windjammer Cafe, Seaview Cafe, or room service.

Hope this was helpful!

Missy
Old November 19th, 2001, 04:35 PM
carrie erman

IS THIS THE SAME MICHAEL & MISSY THAT WERE ON THE ENCHANTMENT WITH US IN SEPTEMBER? (DAN & CARRIE)

IF SO...............I AM JEALOUS!
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Radiance-Southern Caribbean questions

We're leaving on the Radiance of the Seas this Saturday 12/1. Can't
wait!

What process did you go through from the Airport in Puerto Rico, to your arrival on the ship? Some Message Boards indicated that people have to carry their own luggage onto the ship. Do you retrieve your own luggage in Puerto Rico, take them thru Customs, then meet the Royal Caribbean Guide for instructions? Or was your luggage already in your room when you arrived?

We're staying in an "E3" Superior Ocean View Stateroom with balcony on deck 7, under your deck 8. Any comments on the mini-suites? Do the bathrooms just have showers, or do some have a tub/shower combination?

What Excursions did you find worth while. We want to take the Atlantis Submarine in St. Thomas, or is the Submarine in Barbados better? In Barbados, any feedback on the 50 acre Flower Forest located at Richmond Plantation?

Was wandering what Movies are showing at the Theater? What time do you start signing up for the Rock Climbing Wall? Do you also have to sign up for the Put-put golf?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help.
Suzy
Old November 27th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Lady Jag

Default Re: Radiance-Southern Caribbean questions

Suzy -

1.) No, you don't have to sign up for the putting green. Simply go to the activities desk behind the basketball court, get your clubs and wait your turn. The best time to play is on port days.

2.) The rock climbing wall can get very busy on sea days. We did it on a port day and had absolutely no line whatsoever. It was in the morning hours. By the afternoon, things had picked up and it seemed to get busier. Also, at the beginning of the cruise, it was much less crowded than at the end.

3.) Why do you call your cabin category a mini-suite? I have never heard of it referred to as a mini-suite before and certainly wouldn't consider it one. (sorry) Is it called this in a brochure?

4.) Sorry I can't help you with the information about San Juan specifically, but usually, the RCI reps will assist you with your luggage after customs and you'll find it in your cabin later that same night. (This is IF you've bought your transfers from RCI.)

The ship is absolutely beautiful! The glass elevators can get very crowded and it is a VERY long walk from the aft cabins to the elevators, but those are really the only two negatives I can think of. Everything else - food, service, crew, and ammenities are really GREAT!! Hope you have a super cruise!