Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Yeoman

Default mayan ruins & dunn's falls voyager

We're looking at the Tulum Mayan Ruins and Beaches excursion in Cozumel on RCCL Voyager March 3. Has anyone done this, and if so, what did you think? It's 8 hours which is the entire port time. Could you take a taxi and look at them on your own?

Also, we're looking at Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. Can you go there on your own also?

Additionally, I have some trouble walking and use a cane. Do either of these entail lots of walking? I probably can't walk up the falls. If I stand at the bottom, how do I meet up with my friend who walks up them?

ANY info is appreciated. Thanks.

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: mayan ruins & dunn's falls voyager

To start with the Tulum ruins are on the mainland, so to get there you'd have to take a ferry over, and back, if the ship isn't stopping in Playa del Carmen. So.. while it's possible to on your own from Cozumel, it's not the simplest.
Tulum is alot of uneven ground, and some uphill walking to get there, so your mobility problem may be an issue.
In Cozumel it's very easy to grab a taxi, or even rent a car, and go to the beach.

Dunn's Falls is easy to go on your own by taxi as well. Just negotiate the fare in advance! There are a set up of stairs running next to the falls. So, as long as you're able to walk the stairs, you can walk along and watch the rest climb, and meet on top.

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 19th, 2002, 01:15 PM
First Mate

I don't know about the shore excursions, but we will be on the March 3 cruise as well. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Vickie
Old February 19th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Admiral

I have been to Tulim. There is quite a distance from where the bus drops you off to where the ruins start. There was a small open shuttle that you could take for a buck or two.

While at Tulim - it was very crowded. Long lines to get in and out of Tulim. And some of the areas are uneven on the ground. You could do it with a cane but it would be more challenging then I would have originally thought.

I went from Playa de Carmen - our ship docked there by mistake instead of Calica. It is a spectaluar view to see the ruins and the ocean righ next to it. I really enjoyed it but from a ruin stand point - it is not that large compared to many other ruins. It is also very hot! Bring water, lots of it!

As far as Dunn's River Falls. There are steps on the one side of the Falls for those who don't want to climb them. The bus drops you off up above and then most take the steps down to the bottom and then climb up. If you kayak over or take a boat over - you will start at the bottom. There are a lot of steps but there are seats along the way so you can go partial way, take pictures of your friends and then sit for awhile and then climb the steps again, etc. . .

Hope this helps.
Old February 19th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Jeffrey Mahler

I was just on Voyeger of the seas. Just got off the ship 2/10/02-2/1702. As far as the excursions go while in Ocho Rios. Do not go to Dunns River Falls alone, go with the cruise ship . I do not want to scare you, but they always say it is not safe to go alone in Jamaica. I did not do Dunes RIver this time, I did it about 6 years ago. But It is a lot of fun.

In Grand Caymen I would recommend if you like to snorkel do the Sting Ray City Snorkling combanation. Lots of Fun

In Couzemel if you like to drink Rum Do the Fiesta Party boat, all the rum punch you can drink.

This was my 14th cruise and had a blast. First time on RCL, always used Carnival for the first 13th. Will be back.

If you go to the Vault Disco tell the Waitress Ericka that Jeff from NYC Said hello. Tell her i was with my friends Herb and Gary, she will remember us.

Jeff
Old February 20th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Julian

My wife and I cruised with Carnival in Nov. 2001 and did not take the the Tulum shore excursion. Instead we took a taxi to Tulum while the taxi waited for us and then took us back to Playa de Carmen to a nice restaurant in town.All this for $70.00 when the shore excursion was $68.00 each. Good bargain. Now as far as dunn's falls can't help you.
Old March 26th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Nick

Dunn River Falls is the best. There is a man dressed up as a woman and has a donkey at the top of the falls. WHATEVER YOU DO ,DO NOT GET YOUR PICTURE TAKEN WITH HIM. If you don't tip him when you get your picture taken his friends come out and start pushing you around.