Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Yeoman

Default Birth certificates used for proof of citizenship!

A travel agent just notified me that cruise lines have cracked down on proof of citizenship. For those of you without a passport who will be using a birth certificate, only a state issued b.c. with the seal with be accepted. NO EXCEPTIONS! You will be denied boarding if your b.c. is issued from the hospital where you were born. Apparently not all t.a. know this because the agent that booked my cruise for Nov.2 has not notified me of this change. What a bummer to be denied boarding!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Birth certificates used for proof of citizenship!

Well... as far as I know, it has not changed at all. A Birth Certificate (original) or a certified copy with a raised seal is what is required. You must have a second piece of ID... a state or Federal Government issued PHOTO ID, such as a Driver's License, to identify that you are in fact the person named on the birth cert. I think you are confusing the original birth certificate with a copy with the raised seal.

A Passport is always best!!!
Old July 11th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Birth certificates used for proof of citizenship!

I just called Royal Caribbean and spoke to a reservation agent and she confirmed what I posted on cruisemates. Hospital issued birth cerficates are UNACCEPTIBLE and you will be denied boarding! Only state issued b.c. with the raised seal are accepted. Travel agents are supposed to let their clients know about this, but unfortunately not all do.
Old July 11th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sk8

Default Re: Re: Re: Birth certificates used for proof of citizenship

To my knowledge it has always been this way. I was under the impression you always needed the certificate with the raised seal.
Old July 11th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Birth certificates used for proof of citizen

I think traveling with a legal passport is the only way to go, so if you have time left before the cruise, I'd certainly think about obtaining one, its really very easy, and you can get the passport photos done almost anywhere these days:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

Noticed that on my last cruise, there were more times that you had to show proof of citizenship and having a passport was much easier and faster, really the only way to go.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 11th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Birth certificates used for proof of citizen

Thats what I thought to Sk8...always needed a raised seal that I knew of.
Old July 12th, 2002, 12:45 AM
mattinla

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Birth certificates used for proof of cit

Pre 9/11 you could get probably often get by often without the raised seal copy. In fact for entry into Canada without a passport, you can still sign an affidavit declaring you are a citizen, in lieu of a birth certificate. ( one of my crerw members did this going to our office in Vancouver last week)..and you used to be able to do the same for cruise ships, at least some cruise lines.

There is a stricter policy in place now, starting this summer...that's why Carnival and RCI are going out of their way to let TA's know..and getting press out there...they are really cracking down now.
Old July 12th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Birth certificates used for proof of citizenship!

Carol,

Ernie is right. For travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda, citizens of the United States must present both (1) proof of citizenship and (2) proof of identity, both of which must be in the form of official documents issued by government agencies -- and this policy has not changed. A passport is the only document that meets both requirements. You also may use either an official birth certificate issued by a government agency or a naturalization certificate for proof of citizenship. You can use a driver's license (with a photo), a voter identification card, a student identification card from a state college or a public school, a military ID card, or a photo identification issued by a government employer as proof of identity.

Note that a birth certificate does not have to be issued by the state. It can be issued by a city, town, or county official instead, but it must have the raised official seal.

Norm.