Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:22 AM
cellularguy

Default Best way to "HELL"?

im going on rci voyager on aug 25... one of the stops is georgetown caymen islands.. there is a town called "HELL" that i would lik to visit.. whats the best way to get there? can i rent a scooter (i did this in the bahammas last year) or something ,take a cab, ect??

i looked on the eccursions and there realy dont lok like there is much to do in the caymens

thanks 4 the help
cell
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2002, 08:10 AM
tinker

Default Re: Best way to "HELL"?

I don't know how to get there, but I took an excursion from the ship that stopped there and it was a waste. They give you about 15 minutes. There isn't much there. A post office and a souvenier shop. I just barely had time to buy a couple of postcards and address them and mail them before we got back on the bus. Never got to look at anything else in the store.
Old August 13th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Best way to "HELL"?

The town was appropriately named! I also thought it was a waste of time, and should have stayed on the ship. I wasn't too impressed with G.C. but then the storm passed through before I arrived, so perhaps I didn't see the island at its best. So glad I am going back to the eastern Caribbean this Nov. This is my favorite part.
Old August 13th, 2002, 10:16 AM
First Mate

I had just planned to wander around town but ended up going on a $10 island tour I purchased shoreside. We stopped at the turtle farm and Hell and not much else.

Was an OK deal for $10 but I would have felt ripped off at the ship prices for these tours.
I'd skip these places and just head for a beach.

Doug
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sting Ray City in Cayman is, in my opinion, one of the best excursions in the Caribbean. It's one of the MUST do's and so much fun!
Other than that there are some excellent beaches. Personally I'd skip Hell. I'll probably see the real thing soon enough<G>

Old August 13th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Yeoman

Hi, we did the trip to "Hell" 2 yrs ago and we did a tour from the ship...we first went to the turtle farm, and then to "Hell", which was very interesting, and then we did the swim with the sting rays, which is really fabulous. It was the highlight of the trip...Don't miss it...As far as a lot to do on Grand Cayman, there really isn't except the above things I have mentioned...If you go to the town of "Hell", they sell postcards, that you can send from there with the postmark saying Hell...Have a great cruise....Cheryl
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:13 AM
ITCH4

Cellularguy-
You have the opportunity to do so many things! Grand Cayman is known for diving and snorkeling and there is plenty of each! The stingray swim is best as a snorkeling trip. The reefs here are comparable only to those around Cozumel as far as the Caribbean areas. There are reefs all around the island and it is free to swim where you'd like. Just pull off the road and get wet! There is also golf for those who play. We stayed on Grand Cayman for five days and had a blast. The turtle farm is educational, especially for the little ones, and you even get to pick up the turtles and take pictures. It is very interesting how they keep these turtles from extinction. Hell is a trip for the sole purpose of taking pictures, mailing postcards, and saying you've been to Hell! The lava rocks there are really wild and their formations are interesting. If you can get to the south side of the island, this is the rough side and the road winds around the coast. The waves there come crashing over the cliffs and it is quite dramatic. There are several pull overs that you can stand on the edge and get wet from the spray. I don't know why 7 mile beach is so popular. There is nothing to do but lay in the sun. This is where all the resorts are located, due to the calmer waters and the beautiful beach. There are several restaurants located along the row where these resorts are located. There is a submarine ride for those who don't want to snorkel or get wet. They have those pirate ships with the booze cruises coming and going all day. The gift shops in Georgetown are nice - lots of selection. The seafood restaurants along the shore in Georgetown are cheap and fun. Go get a drink! We will return to GC one day soon!
Old August 15th, 2002, 08:41 AM
worktocruise

You could always opt to go to "Hell" in Michigan! In fact, you can go from Hell to Paradise in one day! lol Being a Michigander, I've never been to Hell here, but I've been to Paradise!

I agree with the previous posts. Hell in G.C. isn't too exciting.
Old August 16th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Beginner

I have to agree that "Hell" isn't anything to write home about, but you have to go there and send a post card (oh, wait...wouldn't that be writing home?) When in Hell, be sure to go out behind the post office to see the rock formations so you'll see that it is appropriately named.

On our second port-of-call in Grand Cayman, we rented a mini-van with two other couples. We drove all over the island visiting the Pedro St. James Castle, Stingray Beer Factory, Tortuga Rum, Hell, Seven Mile Beach, etc. We had the whole day and loved it!

But if I could do only one thing in Grand Cayman, I would swim with the stingrays. You can make arrangements for the tour at the pier for less than on the ship.
Old September 26th, 2002, 02:07 PM
ref

Default Re: Re: Re: Best way to "HELL"?

We went on that trip 10 years ago. We hooked up with another couple and went to the taxi stand and told the guy our iteniary - HELL, Turtle Farm, 7 mile beach. He quoted $20 p/p. We then went to the back of the taxi line and got a quote of $40 for the day, but we had to get the other drivers to turn the price down. The driver took us to the 1st 2 places thaen dropped us off @ 7mile beach. When we were done we called him fromn the Fire Department (his sugeestion) and he took us back to the ship.GottaLuvCruising wrote:>