Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Len

Default Credit/Debit Cards?

Does anyone know off hand how much they auth. your card for to open your shipboard account? I don't know if I should use my ATM debit or a major credit card? I just want to know upfront how much of my credit line will be put on 'hold' so I don't have a problem using the card once on shore.
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Credit/Debit Cards?

Hi Len,
You can check your onboard account any time during your cruise, the last night out, you will get a detailed printout of your account, which the full amount your have charged will then be put on your card, either debit or credit, its not done on a daily basis, just one lump sum at the end of your cruise. Always a good idea to keep track of all your purchases, so its not a huge suprise at the end of the cruise!

Have fun and enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Len

Default Re: Re: Credit/Debit Cards?

Yes Donna I already know how billing works from past cruises. My question was how much credit do they 'secure' in pre auth. amounts against your credit line during check-in for a 7-night cruise...is it $500, $800 etc. You know like when you check into a hotel they swipe your card for X amount in credit until you check-out and pay the final total.
Old August 25th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Len,
They only take the credit card number, we've never had to secure any amount, they just charge the whole amount to the card the last night, although I would think they would check and make sure the card is good and not up to its limit. We always make sure to use a card that has plenty of credit left on it, so no problems, I think thats what you are asking. They don't charge a certain amount in the beginning, but if you've cruised before you would know that too, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Len

Hi again...but from working in the hotel biz years ago when we checked a guest into a room the credit card was 'swiped' and the computer calculated a certan dollar amount based on number of nights, room rate, etc. and there is a HOLD put on that dollar amount of the guests credit card. Like you said otherwise if a person has 'maxed out' their card the hotel, or cruise line could get stuck so they must have a similiar procedure. I was just wondering if someone knew how much a cruise line does the pre auth. on your credit? My main reason for this question is that I have been trying to control my credit spending and only use one credit card other than my ATM/debit linked to my bank accounts. But Donna thanks for your input!
Old August 25th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Len

Default Re: Re: Re: Credit/Debit Cards?

I think maybe the confusion is the difference between PRE AUTH. and actual charges placed on the card. They are 2 totally different things. Another example is if you rent a car they check your card by doing a pre auth. for a 'fixed' amount which is deducted from your total avail. credit line on the card...NOT saying that they actually bill your card for that amount. It is just a way of a merchant securing a 'chunk' of your avail. credit line.
Old August 25th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Credit/Debit Cards?

My husband used his debit card. I'm not sure how much the pre-authorized, but I think he had about $1400 in the account, we ended up with a final bill of $593. He never had problems using his card in ports so I'm guess the "hold" is not $200 a day. I too am curious on what it really is.

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

6/2002 Radiance Alaska
10/2002 Radiance Pacific NW
11/2003 11-Night Eastern on the Brilliance
Old August 27th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Passenger

I just returned from a four day cruise. I used my debit card and my bill was about $350.00. I checked my account on-line when I returned home that morning and they had a hold on $400.00. By midnight it was adjusted to the approprite amount. Hope that helps. I too wonder what they hold for a seven day cruise as we leave on 9/15???
Old August 27th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Happy Camper

They do hold some amount on the debit cards. If you do not have to use them please don't - expecially on shore - credit card numbers are stolen repeatedly in the islands and on a debit card they could drain your account and you not know it. Also many banks are not securing the debit cards - you'd be surprised but they are not covered so some banks will not give you back the money if someone steals the number - please double check your bank if you are determined to use it. I really would use a regular credit card expecially in the islands. This has happened to people on the other boards so be careful. Debbie