CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Best ship for Western Itinerary for young couple? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/231188-best-ship-western-itinerary-young-couple.html)

snorkelman December 13th, 2002 03:22 PM

Best ship for Western Itinerary for young couple?

My wife and I just turned 30 and we are going on our 14th cruise in June 2003. We have never sailed Royal Caribbean, so we really want to give it a try (We enjoyed the Fun ships of Carnival and thought that some of the other cruise lines such as Celebrity were too slow for our tatses.

We are interested in a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary departing from some port in Florida (because we live in South Florida), preferably a Saturday sailing.

I quickly looked and I think that the Navigator of the Seas departs from Miami on Saturdays and calls at the ports in Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. That seems like a lot of ports for a 7-day cruise, and that is just what we like. This ship seems to be only 1 month old.

I also think that the Explorer of the Seas departs from Miami on Saturdays to Labadee, Hispaniola, Ocho Rios (Jamaica), Georgetown (Grand Cayman),and Cozumel. That seems like 5 ports in 7 days. Is that right? I see that this is only a 2 year old ship.

Which of these ships is better, and why?

The last ship on which we sailed was the Carnival Pride (we sailed on it 6 months after she was built), and we liked the ship.

Any tips?

When is the best time to buy tickets?

dmiklas@prodigy.net

Donna December 13th, 2002 03:29 PM

Re: Best ship for Western Itinerary for young couple?

Hi SNorkelman,
From what you've said I'd recommend trying one of the RCCL's "Voyager" class ships. There are so many activities on board, plus an amazing ice show along with their regular shows. I beleive Voyager and Navigator will be doing the Western Itinaries, so check with your travel agent, I think you'll both love them.

Have Fun!

ted December 15th, 2002 01:46 PM

One clarification for you: Both ships sail the same western schedule. Labadee is the name of RCCL's island in Haiti... the name for the entire island is Hispaniola.

So the Explorer also sails to 4 ports.

Both ships are quite similar, one is just brand new with only a few changes... I would choose the one you can get a better deal on or whichever leaves on a convenient date for you...

-Ted

Steve B. December 16th, 2002 02:29 PM

Re: Re: Best ship for Western Itinerary for young couple?

snorkelman:

My new bride and I just got back from a cruise to all of these ports. We were on the Voyager of the Seas. This class of ships is nothing short of amazing. There is always something going on. The schedual is very accomodating. The Voyager leaves on Sundays. Monday and Sat. are sea days, the rest of the time you are hitting a new port each day. Labadee is a little on the slow side, however Jamica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel were a good time. (Especially the diving in Cozumel). If you are interested, I can tell you about some local tour guides that we used and were very pleased with.

Kathie December 16th, 2002 11:01 PM

We sailed on Explorer last Jan. to the E. Carib. and liked it so much we are sailing her again to the W. Carib. Jan. 25. It is a fabulous ship. I would sail Voyager class ships whenever possible. You will not be bored. The food, service and staff are wonderful.
As for the best time to buy tickets, many prefer to do it well ahead of time. We have booked ours a few weeks ahead, due to trying to fit the cruise into our schedule and this year waited a bit longer for prices to go down. If you want to go next month, book now. Sale prices come out 4-6 weeks in advance. We just booked at $300 less than the price our TA quoted in Sept. Less than we paid last year, too.
Go for it and as the RCI slogan says--"Get out there!"

Saltydog December 27th, 2002 01:45 AM

The navigator is only on it's second voyage this week ! i believe it is doing an altranting schedule of Eastern 1 week and western caribbean the next.
if your up for some fun grand cayman is amazing having been there 23 times it is my fave island. Cozumel ah loads of shopping the same stuff every 25 feet. but some nice restaurants .pancho's backyard and la choza (sp) fantastic Mexican fare the snorkelling and diving you get in both thee places is second to none.
the vyaoge having been on that ship 4 or 5 times is nothing short of amazing!!! never a dull moment

Browezilla December 27th, 2002 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Best ship for Western Itinerary for young couple?

Over on www.cruisecritic.com they have a very nice review of the NoS.