Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Dave441

Default Key West Excursions

We will be in Key West on the Rhapsody of the Seas cruise in November. I've seen some interesting excursions on the internet (non-RCI), however due to the time we will be in port, many are not feasible. I think we will be there between 3 pm and 1 am. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do other than walk around and maybe take a sunset cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Key West Excursions

The sunset cruise on a real sailing ship is a great one. We took one years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I asked the captain if I could steer the ship. To the surprise of everyone (including me) he said "Sure." So I grabbed ahold of the big wheell and guided us into the sunset. Well, I thought it was pretty cool anyway. And so did the wife. Made for a very pleasureful and romantic evening, if you know what I mean!

Alas this time we will be in Key West on the Radiance from 8 am to 3 pm, so we won't have that opportunity. If I were you, I'd walk around Duvall Street a while and then do the sunset cruise. Hope you have a great time what ever you do!

MrTractor<-------wants to do that again someday...........

Old August 26th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Yeoman

I live in Miami and go to Key West at least twice a year. Love it...I even got married there.

Take the conch train around the island, there are some beautiful Victorian restored houses beyond the Duval Street circuit

Anyway, the Sunset Cruise that the Hyatt Hotel does is wonderful. You have to make reservations by going to the hotel and I'm not sure what they charged I think it was about $60 pp but they gave you beer, wine, soft drinks and snacks. The sailboat was about a 45 footer and the two mates that sailed it were great. It was at least two or three hours long I would consider this one.

They have other party boats that go out, catamarans to be exact, but they look so overcrowded. If you are into party boats then that's the one you want, if you want more class, check out the Hyatt.

Also the Hilton has an island called Sunset Key that you see from the Pier. The Hilton owns it and you can take a 8-minute tender boat over there and have lunch, drinks or dinner. Check with the Hilton when the boat leaves to go over there. It's a really pretty island away from Duval Street, which has lovely houses, nice outdoor restaurant and beach.

And if you don't want to eat on the ship and try a restaurant. I suggest Antonio's on Duval Street. You will need a reservation, unfortunately they are only open for dinner. It is a 5-star restaurant.

If you like writers, there's the Hemingway House...but I think it's a little overdone. The Audubon house is interesting, they have a great gift shop and you don't have to go the tour of the house to go to the gift shop.

Key West has a lot of tourists besides the Cruise Ships, but there are some top notch things to do there besides Sloppy Joe's.

Have fun.
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne

Dave411, I just came back from RHAPSODY of the SEAS! We didn't do any shore excursions, but we walked down to Southernmost Point and went shopping. I would recommend renting a 4 seat electric car or a scooter. Great way to get around the island.

A few places I recommend going to:

Hemingway's House
Southernmost Point
Sloppy Joe's Restaurant.

Below is a link to RCI's offered shore excursions:
http://shorex.rccl.com/RC/ShoreXList...%3A31+EDT+2003
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:25 PM
valtandc

I agree with above Conch train recommendation. Don't take any tours here, don't do a sail. Duvall street is just great to walk down on its own. the conch train will drop you off anywhere and is informative. get the conch train on your own. i'm sure the ship will charge double what local conch does.
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM
hcat

On a return trip to KW--having done the general tourist stuff & the wonderful house /garden tour, we took the Liberty Sailing adventure thru RCCL from Hilton Dock--what a great sail we had & not many others on board. It was like a pvt party with a wonderful, knowledgeable crew..yu could helpo sail, steer or just enjoy low key day--this is one of the few ones that will go out regardless of how many sign up---well worth the price....I like the idea of the Hilton Island rest/beach & will look into that in the futuree--Our next three cruises do not visit Key West or nassau--the usual ports! Have fun