Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Jim Corbett
Default carring booze aboard the ship

I am traveling on Royal's Navigator of the Sea in March and I am a first time cruiser. What is the policy about having some bottles of booze in ones suitcase. Do they actullay check into every piece of luggage and if so do the take from you booze if found? I have a friend who brought aboad three gallons of gin and bottles of champagne and no issue was made of this but that was a Carnival boat!

-Jim Corbett
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: carring booze aboard the ship

Jim, I do it all the time, and have never had a problem (knock on wood) :-)

Harry
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Sharon Coray

Boy I can tell you that is not the way it is on NCL, they confiscated any booze we had and every island was in cahoots with the cruise line. We tried to buy some rum in Georgetown and the stores would not let us have the booze, they told us that they would deliver the bottles to our ship and the ship would give us them as we departed the last day of our cruise. In Cozumel they advertised a "special" buy a bottle of rum and get a free tote bag. So my son bought it and sure enough they confiscated it! I felt like the booze nazi was on the ship! "No Booze For you" We were treated like criminals, they just want the guest pay for each and every drink! If RCCL is letting you take it aboard go for it!
Sharon Coray
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on Rhapsody in September. I brought a bottle in my suitcase-no problem. I wrapped it in bubble wrap for protection. We bought wine in Key West and walked on board with it. We bought liqour in Cozumel and did the same. RCI is a great company and run a first class cruise line!
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Captain

Default carring booze aboard the ship

Boarding the Rhapsody in October, My wife, daughter, and I each carried
a bottle of champagne onboard. Mine was in an ice chest on wheels.
Our travel agent was about an hour behind us checking in, and got his confiscated.
I think it has a lot to do with the cruise line personell in the terminal.
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Jim Corbett

That is the first time I have ever heard of anyone geting thier Champagne confiscated by RCI. I just went to thier website and under "food & Beverage Q&A" the question is answered by RCI. They, that is RCI, are saying one can bring either wine or Champagne aboard the ship for "special events" such as a birhtday or anniversary and can bring it to their stateroom for consumption. If RCI is posting this information on their website what right do they have to confiscate a person's champagne?

-Jim
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Jim, you are absolutely right. Knowledge is power. Last time we sailed Carnival...RCCL and Celebrity......Wine and Champagne was allowed for "special events".

Old November 20th, 2003, 03:38 PM
McCorkle

Did you have to pay any type of fee for these special event bottles?
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:16 PM
SusiQ

I was just on the Explorer of the Seas and you ar eallowed to bring wine on and bring it to the dining room, there is just a corking fee of $12 in the dining room.

Our waiter, did not charge us, he said as long as the head waiter didn't see us bring it in, he could get away with not charging.

When in St. Maartan I found the wine we drink for $12, the cruise line charges $42 for the same bottle

Even if we were charged the fee it still is a huge savings to buy your own.
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:16 PM
Alexander Monday

I have cruised many times. Most of the time I never have a problem. Occasionally I have been put through a full cavity search.

God bless !
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Scuppers4

We just got back from the AOS and I brought my box of Curacau liqueor back on board from the tour, and no one asked me for it. I don't even rememeber seeing the desk set up where they usually ask you for it. I don't think they will hassle you about it unless you are really trying to abuse the privelge. I did see a desk set up for liquor purchased later on, but if you brought in one or two bottles in your backpack, I don't think they would notice.