Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:21 PM
beachgirl

Default western caribbean questions

going to cozumel, grand cayman and costa maya 3/27/2004. suggestions for shore excursions would be great. we are first time cruisers. we will have our 14 year old daughter with us. also any suggestions for dealing with motion sickness.
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: western caribbean questions

In Grand Cayman swim with the stingrays, it is not to be missed.

Chuck

Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Stacycruiser

I have done alot of research for our cruise and we have decided on Soto Cruises at Cayman. Great price and very recommended. We are also going with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel to snorkel. I have children and we are all so excited!
Enjoy your cruise and let us know what you end up doing.
Stacy
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM
chelsy

I would recommend the clear cayak excursion. You cayak out to the reef where you snorkel for a few hours. Also, the reef runner excursion. This includes some more snorkeling.
As for motion sickness if you go to your doctor to get a prescription you can go to the pharmacy and pick up small patches that go behind your ear. Put them on 3 hours before boarding the ship and you should have no problem. They last for 3 days so you may want to pick up a couple for each person. They can be a bit expensive so I would recomment one per person plus 2 extras for whever may need it.
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Yeoman

I've talked to several people who have said that the Scopalomine patches made them feel woozy and tired - made them sicker than they thought! You might try non-drowsy Bonine or the wristbands with the pressure points. They might work better for you. Cozumel - try Chankanaab. Great beach and snorkelling, short taxi ride, restaurant, bar/s and restrooms. Very nice place. Cayman - Sting Ray City for sure! Or, if you just want a day at the beach, try the public beach across from the Holiday Inn on 7-mile Beach. Have a great time!
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Bobbi

My sons both used the sea bands with the pressure points, and they worked well - no drugs required. We used Nativeway in Grand Cayman for swimming with the stingrays, and they were great!
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
beachgirl

thanks for all the great info. where do you get the sea bands with pressure points?
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:12 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: western caribbean questions

You can buy them onboard or any pharmacy or sporting goods store carries them
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Bobbi

If you are a member of AAA, they have them at a member discount as well.
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM
b.

Warning about Costa Maya -- when we were there a year ago, it was not particularly well organized and the snorkel tour we did was not good. The only bad snorkeling we've ever had. If I did this port again, I would either stay on the ship and enjoy a day of scant crowds, or just hang out by this huge pool surrounded by shops, basically visible from the ship by the pier.

Check out nativeway.com or maybe it's nativewaysports.com for Sting Ray City. Great service, small boat (almost everyone out there was in a group of 50 or 60 when we went), great people. Sharon will email you back right away.
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Bobbi

Here's the contact info. for Nativeway:

Native Way Watersports
(345) 916-5027
nativway@candw.ky
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Laira C.

Concerning Motionsickness - I would definetly recommend the patch behind the ear this time of year. Bonine seems to work well for some people - it's over the counter at Wal-mart, Eckards, etc. The patch works best for everyone though. True some side effects can include some dizziness or blurred vision, but this is for a small percentage of people and it's much better than throwing up. I've never had anything but success with the patches. My husband and I cut the patches in half and use one half for each of us. This is usually enough medicine to keep us from getting sick. If the seas are particularly rough, a full patch works best. But starting with half patches keeps the cost down and will usually do the job. We have not found the wrist bands to remain effective, because you constantly have to make sure they are on your "pressure point". Also, no luck with garlic for us. Enjoy your cruise!
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:48 PM
kahliasmom

Laira C., why do you say that you need motion sickness medication especially this time of year? Does the Western Caribbean have especially rough seas this time of year? I thought I heard that the Western Caribbean is more rough and rainy than the Eastern Caribbean, is that the case?
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ambersue

Beachgirl-

ginger pills are the best natural cure for motion-sickness, and they work great if your daughter doesn't want to run around with a sea band on!

Amber

Serenade of the Seas 6/05
Mariner of the Seas 5/04
Voyager of the Seas 9/02