Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
ZackVTG

Default It's Back!! Labadee Haiti Port of Call

Memo sent out today by RCCL:

We believe our customers will be pleased with today’s decision to revisit one of their favorite retreats. Based on assurances from newly elected Haitian authorities, the U.S. Embassy in Haiti and outside security advisors that returning to Labadee is safe for our guests, we have decided to resume service to our private beachfront on Haiti’s northern coast. As you know, Royal Caribbean suspended service to Labadee three months ago, following recommendations then to do so. With today’s assurances, however, three Royal Caribbean ships will resume weekly Labadee calls next week. All three are Voyager-class ships; Voyager of the Seas visiting May 24, Mariner of the Seas, May 25, and Navigator of the Seas, May 27.

A comprehensive security plan has been in place at Labadee for some time and this same level of vigilance will continue when operations resume, including 24-hour patrols on-site, and supplemental support from local police and an international security team based in Cap Haitian.

Royal Caribbean is confident that returning to Labadee poses little threat to our guests and crew, and is looking forward to adding back this hugely enjoyable and highly rated guest experience.
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM
billy1950

Default Re: It's Back!! Labadee Haiti Port of Call

just wondering where this memo came from...i dont see it on rccl website
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Zack,
If this is true, its great news!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hmm, still skeptical. I probably won't leave the ship when we get there.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Apfr.

Cmon... it's really fine! Labadee is very secluded away from any danger
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Yeoman

I never felt in danger while in Labadee back around New Years. I did feel a little uneasy going through the shopping area alone as I don't like being approached by several strangers all at once. We rode the bus around the area just to see the place and I noticed fences and some armed guards-saw the same thing in Jamaica and felt very uneasy there. I would go back to Labadee in a heartbeat. It was clean, relaxing and quite nice.

alison
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:36 PM
DaveKw

There are armed guards at all ports including the US i.e police customs,dea . I would really worry if i did not see any. Labadee is to nice of a stop to miss seeing it from the ship is like being on the outside looking in.If you have not been you will kick yourself later for not getting off.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:12 PM
First Mate

We were there in January and everything was fine. It is such a great place definitely not one to be missed. I am sure RCI would not take any chances. Can you imagine the effect on business if something happened while one of their ships were in port? No cruiseline wants negative advertising. I agree with Dave Kw if I did not see armed guards I would worry.

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:21 PM
pinkfloyd01

We are going on the Explorer on 9-5. Both the excursion signup and looking at the cruise details show Nassau as the replacement stop. Off course the site could be 3 weeks behind...