Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default rental car drop from Orlando

Flying in from California to Orlando and renting a car to take us to Port Canaveral for 2 nights. Can anyone recommend or let me know what rental car company you used and where you dropped it? Was there a drop charge? We'll need to rent again to get us back to Orlando.
And is there anything fun to do in Port Canaveral? NOT doing the Disney stuff.
Thanks
Mariner July 4 !!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: rental car drop from Orlando

What we do is rent from Avis at the airport. Then use it as needed. TAke it to their drop off which is just a few blocks from the Radisson. You can either stay at the Radisson, or just drop it off that am before your cruise. They'll then take you to the port at no charge. They'll also pick you up when you return, take you back to Avis so you can rent again. Then when you're done, just take it back to the airport when your flight leaves. This is what we do. Like to go at our own pace and not rely on their transportation.

Last time we went to Kennedy Space Center which is fun. Did that for the day since we had a 6:30 flight out. Then just returned the car at the airport just before our flight.
You can also go to Cocoa Beach. A popular place just to shop at or check our is Ron Jon's. (very large surf shop/beach shop)
We always get in the night before our cruise. Will go to dinner, go to Ron Jon's and walk along the beach.

Since you have two days, I"m sure others will have some other stuff to do. We're going back and spend the day at Epcot since we didn't have much time there last time. But know you don't want to do any Disney stuff.

Have fun! We'll be on the Mariner Dec. 5th! Can't wait!
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:33 AM
pkf4bucs

Theres nothing in Port Can. just the space center stuff. Your best to head over to Cocoa Beach or somewhere in Orlando.
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:11 AM
John L.

We're doing a fall cruise from Miami but we are flying in to Orlando for a 3 nite pre cruise stay. I'm renting a mini van (there are 4 of us plus luggage+) from Alamo and returning it to Miami airport. There didn't seem to be any mention on my reservation of a charge for different location drop off. You can check costs with different rentals on the web very easy. I tried Hertz, Avis and Budget and Alamo was lowest.

John L.
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:26 AM
John L.

Default Re: Re: rental car drop from Orlando

By the way, the previous writer was right about FLL. We are seniors and we love going to Orlando. Just walking around Sea World or the NEW Universal Park (Islands of Adventure) is so great. There are restaurants all along International Drive (near Sea World) and we always make it a point to go to Bahama Breeze with onion rings that will knock your socks off. Even going to Disney's "Down Town" area has some great restaurants and fun walking sights. We also enjoy eating at Epcot's Rose and Crown Pub and watching the awe inspiring fireworks while dining on a delicious prime rib. You have to make a reservation well in advance and should be around 7-8 so you don't finish dinner before the fireworks. I don't think you have these parks in California so you should go if you haven't seen them before. I can't comment on FLL since I haven't stayed overnite. Just did the Space Center as an excursion.

John L.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:04 PM
Emm

Avis in Port Canaveral -- no one way fee when we went last thanksgiving
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:10 AM
Dad Son team

I did Hertz at the Orlando airport and droped it off in Pt. Canaveral and did not have a drop charge. Most major car companies have a location near the ship and will shuttle you over. Hertz just happened to have the best rate for the days I needed.
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM
Lklein

We like to rent with National- if you join the Emerald Aisle club (for free) you just go and pick a car (usually a good selection) and then no counter. Our family has a lot of fun picking cars and usually they have some interesting ones to choose from, (mid-size to luxury) for a great price.

I'm renting in Ft Meyers and dropping in Miami for no extra charge....
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:22 AM
Lklein

We like to rent with National- if you join the Emerald Aisle club (for free) you just go and pick a car (usually a good selection) and then no counter. Our family has a lot of fun picking cars and usually they have some interesting ones to choose from, (mid-size to luxury) for a great price.

Old June 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM
Lklein