Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2004, 04:43 AM
First Mate

Default GENTLE<EN - Do You Like Formal Nites?

Since I asked the ladies - only fair to include the 'gents'. Do you enjoy formal & informal (smart casual) nites and dressing up?
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Passenger

Default Re: GENTLE<EN - Do You Like Formal Nites?

I enjoy any night on a cruise !
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I like to dress up and I think all the ladies look great in their cocktail dresses.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Dave P

We will be going on our 14th cruise in October and I enjoy the formal nights. Great night to see everyone so cheerful and look so good. I would think it would be a bit more stressful for my wife since it obviously doesn't take me or probably any other man that long to get ready. My wife and other women have so much more to do to get ready for the night. Great for the Cruiseships spa and hair salon.

I think the formal nights are nice, however, I understand everyone has their own opinion and some may not prefer getting ready, bringing additional clothes and all of the hoop-la.

Thanks

Dave
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM
First Mate

I enjoy dressing for dinner since usually at home its always casual.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:11 AM
big apple

Cruise crazy,Absolutely enjoy dressing up on a cruise Makes me feel special and the women look great.As a matter of fact we have numerous pictures at our house and most are from formal nites.So far on this question it appears that a very large majority do favor the formal nights.My guess it would not be as favorable on Carnival.
Old June 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Not me.........I hate dressing up on vacation. But, I follow the "when in Rome......" thinking. I wear a suit (I draw the line at bringing my tux) on formal nights and make no distinction (slacks/sport shirt....NO jacket) between casual and smart casual.
Old June 12th, 2004, 03:11 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: GENTLE

I try never to do things half.....way. I'm on a cruise so I dress and I really enjoy it. I wear a suit for bussiness so its nice to "tux" it up. Plus I do all the cooking and menu planning at home. So it's really a treat not to have to plan and shop. Would gladly dress every night if that were the case. <s>

Post Edited (06-12-04 18:45)

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: GENTLE<EN - Do You Like Formal Nites?

Dave The Wave - are u the famous 'one' from the old CruisesOnly board? If not plse ignore this but if u are - HI!!! GUESS WHAT - if u are and this is for Big Apple too - I just ran into Goodml (used to be Mlgood) on CruiseCritic - seems we haven't all vanished into 'cyber space'! She was asking about u... I'll be willing to bet that all u fellas that responded positively to formal dressup nites look fantastic - elegant as 'all get out' - wish I could be there to see u - just adore handsome fellas all 'decked' out - aka (as Ed stated) - 'Bond, James Bond (he is one in every one of u). Happy cruisin' all :0)
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:25 AM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: GENTLE<EN - Do You Like Formal Nites?

Cruisecrazy,Thanks for the nice remarks about those who enjoy dressing up on formal nites.I always take 2 sets of ties and accessories to have a different look on formal nites.The other thing we enjoy doing and that is to invite one of the young lady asst.cruise staff to join us for dinner on the formal nite.On most cruise lines they are not permitted to dine in the main dining room unless invited by a guest.We really learn a great about the ship from this conversation and in one instance we were invited to the Capt,s table for dinner and this was a special treat.That was on Celebrity and my wife was invited to sit next to the capt who was single and most outgoing. This would never happen to someone who did not follow the dress code on formal nites.
Old June 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM
ESS

I am not a big fan of dressing up for dinner. On the other hand, my wife enjoys a more formal dress evening now and then. In addition, we enjoy a more formal dinner rather than eating at the buffet all the time. We have observed some individuals not following the suggested dress code. This seems to annoy others. I have a suggestion that could resolve this problem, especially on those cruise lines that have personal choice dinning.
The ship should establish a dinning area for those individuals who wish to eatl in the dinning room, but don't wish to dress up. In that way those who don't want to get dressed up but yet want to eat in the dinning room would be able to, and those who want to get dressed up but do not wish to sit next to someone in a t-shirt would not be offended.
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Admiral

I have always thought that coats and ties were torture instruments invented by the devil or by some lovely woman! I do wear a dark suit on formal nights, but remove it for dress slacks and a collered shirt as soon as dinner is over. I would suffer greatly wearing hot clothes in a hot theater. I wear the same comfortable clothes in the dining room on the "smart casual nights."

I do love to see beautiful women dress in elegant clothes on formal nights, but their attire certainly looks a lot cooler and more comfortable than what men have to wear.
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:27 AM
First Mate

Gee ESS great suggestion - wld solve the problem to everyones satisfaction..hope the powers 'that are' are reading it!! Thanks for responding & happy cruisin' all!
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:58 PM
DonD

no
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:09 PM
First Mate

If my wife wanted to make me miserable for the rest of eternity, all she needs to do is bury me in a suit & tie. that being said, I too subscribe to the "When in Rome" philosophy. Formal nights are part of the cruise experience, and my wife enjoys dressing up, so I too dress appropriately.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:50 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: GENTLE<EN - Do You Like Formal Nites?

As i mentioned on the other post,it is obvious that the majority woud prefer to dress nicely on formal nites and I sure hope they keep this tradition and enforce the written policy.For those against try another cruise experience where you can remain casual the entire cruise.
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:05 AM
kvr

shorts, shorts, shorts, shorts
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Admiral

After reading both threads, it seems that a much higher percentage of ladies like dressing up on formal nights than do men. Could one reason be that ladies in cool gowns are much more comfortable in a warm environment than men in hot suits?

I have one suit, a few white shirts and a bunch of ties. My wife has enough fancy clothes to go on a while bunch of cruises and never wear the same thing twice.. Oh, woe is me!
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM
hcat

To my hubby who has posted above--thanks dear for the Yes dear approach! You look so nice all dressed up!
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Hi PaulB - 'cute' response - lucky lady your wife and smart too!!! As for your query as to whether ladies are cooler in a warm climate than the 'poor' fellas - remember the ship is air coditioned and and even in the Carib. I wear and see loads of other ladies in sweaters and stoles because of same---so the answer is no usually. Then again-eh gads-what if the airconditioning fails - 'nudity' all round hmmm? Just kidding!! Happy cruisin' & thanks for helping make this thread fun!!
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Red

Refer to my post on the prior thread.
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:19 AM
First Mate

Hi Red - enjoyed your posting on prior thread - very well put!! I wish u happy cruisin' !!
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Cruisecrazy, thanks!

You are right about some of the ships being cold. On Conquest, last year, many of the women had to wear coats into the dining room on formal nights. The whole ship was cold all the time! This was the one cruise where I was comfortable in a suit.
Old June 19th, 2004, 02:03 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to ttbryson

I actually really like to dress up, I mean its not hard for guys you just have to get a suit you like. With guys theres none of this "what patterns match" and "what kind of dress do u need" that girls have to deal with lol. I really like it because It feels nice to be able to dress up once and a while.

--------------------
HAL - Oosterdam - May 05
RCI - Mariner of the Seas - August 04
HAL - Volendam - July 03
Old June 19th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

I like all suits as long as they are on other men, but I wear one because I must!,