Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Mickeymom923
Default How much clothes to pack?

Doing a 6 day cruise on VOS 12/18/04 and I don't know how much clothes to pack. Don't know if there is 1 or 2 formal nights and how formal do people usually get dressed? Leaving from Philadelphia where it is cold and doing the Western Caribbean. Any help would be very appreciated. 1st time on VOS. Is it as nice as I've heard?
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How much clothes to pack?

Try posting this question on the Practical Advise board.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 11th, 2004, 04:55 PM
JoanO

You will have 2 formal nights. Don't overpack. I've been on 6 cruises and I take less and less each time. (2 adults and 5 kids) I find that we are in our swimsuits most of the day. At night, dinner clothes - but I do change into something less dressy for the evening shows, etc. (so do the kids) I tend to get chilly, so I pack three-quarter sleeve shirts or sweater for the night and long pants. I do not pack a pair of shorts for each day - since I do bring a cover up for the swimsuits. I hope this helps you out.
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

One of the best hints I got when a new cruiser is to take out an outfilt for each day and each evening. Then put half of it way.
I tend to be sure to coordinate colors so I can mix & match. Since we are in bathing suits on sea days, only a couple of pairs of shorts are needed. I do get very hot during the days in port so I make sure i have tops for every port day. But if an evening is casual dress, I wear that top for dinner and then wear it again the next day. A black pair of slacks and be worn most evenings with vaious tops. My formal wear is a long black skirt and I have several glittery tops I can wear. By keeping to black for evenings, only one color accessories is needed.
Try to leave your winter coat in your car or leave it with whoever is driving you to & from the airport. If thats not possible, wear a long sleeve shirt & polar fleece for the short time you're outside.
Have a great time. There is nothing like a cruise and the first is always the best remembered.
Norma
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:51 PM
First Mate

I have read all these posts that say bring less than you think you need, but I have to say that I brought an outfit for each day and each night, plus travel clothes and beachwear. I used it all. I guess you could do it with less, but I like having the option of different outfits. Didn't seem to take up that much more space.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
ESS

speaking of packing - don't forget to buy your own snorkel equipment. It is really inexpensive and you are going to premier snorkel areas. I am always amazed how much people spend for everything - and rent junky stuff for half the price of new snorkel equipment for two or three days of snorkeling
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Passenger

Hi,

You can check out my report under VOS 7/30 Ocho Rios Jamaica (above) for tips about the ports and activities on board. I absolutely LOVE Voyager; my husband and I were on it 2 years in a row. Here's my tips on what to pack: party clothes - if you like to dress up (I do), here's your chance! There are 2 formal nights and you WILL see many people in tuxs and gowns. The formal portrait sittings (there are 5-6 areas around the ship with different backdrops) are on those nights so most people dress up and look gorgeous! What WE like to do is have our photos taken at all the stations and then it's fun to look at our pics in the photo area later. Pack several bathing suits (so one's always dry to wear), a swim suit cover up, water shoes (something to wear in the water to protect your feet from coral, etc. - if you go to Dunn's River Falls you'll need these and they are good for Labadee too), hat, casual clothes (shorts, tops, slacks - whatever you like to wear) but not too many. I got by with a pair of tan pants that had legs that zipped off so they became shorts (wore those on the plane), a pair of shorts, 4 T-shirts/tops, 3 bathing suits, 2 cover ups, my party dress (wore the same thing both formal nights to save suitcase space), a sundress & slip (for the "Smart Casual" nights), a windbreaker and underwear, dress shoes, sandals, slippers (I didn't pack a robe but if you're a robe person, there are no robes in the cabin - at least not in OUR cabin, which was a balcony one), and tennis shoes with socks (you'll need socks to do the rock climbing, ice skating and in-line skating). I had a shawl to wear on formal nights. We also packed an umbrella, woollite (for laundering in our cabin), clothespins (for hanging said laundry to dry; there is a clothesline in the shower with a few plastic clothespins), 2 pareos (large fabric pieces that doubled as apparel and beach blankets - lightweight and easy to carry). If you have a lot of appliances to plug in (hair curlers, curling iron, battery recharger, CD player, etc.) you might want to pack a power bar (multi-plug thing); I think there are 2 electrical outlets in the dresser area and one in the bathroom. This was a lifesaver when I shared a cabin with my 2 sisters and when my husband and I brought our CD player on previous cruises but we didn't bring it (nor need it) this time. We also packed a collapsible ice chest (which we used for our beverages of choice that we brought with us and it was kept full of ice by our cabin stewart, bless his heart) and this could also be used for sourvenir packing at the end of your cruise (be sure to leave room in your suitcases or somewhere for those extras you'll come back with!) and insulated drink containers for said beverages (great for lounging around the pool, strolling the deck, doing sports, etc.) AND a water bottle (the kind with the spout that pops open to drink from) that was wonderful to have when you just wanted water (kept it refilled with cold water from the melted ice in our ice bucket and refilled at the Windjammer cafe/Cafe Promenade.
Hope this helps!
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Mickeymom923
Default Re: Re: How much clothes to pack?

Thanks so much for the info. Looking forward to our trip.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
KimG

It has been my experience that when ships do not have robes waiting for you in the cabins, they are happy to provide them to you free upon request. I have done this at least twice with no problems.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:32 AM
happytobeme

Everyone told me to just pack light and casual, but I was very surprised at how most people/families were decked out! I would bring dressier clothes next time. We were dressed appropriately for formal/casual night, but even on the casual nights, some people had beautiful dresses/suits. I guess it kind of depends on your typical state of dress. There were several short outfits that me and my husband did not wear. I had three mix-n-match swimsuits with me and used them all over and over. At night, if it wasn't formal, I generally wore nice slacks/blouse or a simple summer dress or such. But, I made sure all my clothes matched. Everything could be worn with everything! Easy!