Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM
First Mate

Default Wine Purchase - Discount?

Does anyone know if RCL offers a discount like HAL does of 10% off if u purchase wine (a single bottle not the package) the first day and each morning of the cruise? Appreciate replies!
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Wine Purchase - Discount?

Doesn't anyone know the answer???
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Gerif

As far as I know, there are no wine packages or discounts available - also, the duty free shop does not carry wine, so no bargains there either. We carried on a couple of bottles to consume in the room and just bought a bottle with dinner each night.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Wine Purchase - Discount?

Hi Gerif - many thanks for the info...Plan on buying bottles yes but wondered if they did a 10% off advance purchases like HAL does. I am curious - u carried onboard several bottles of wine, thought that wasn't allowed? How long ago did u travel and how did u carry them on - did u have permission? Appreciate your help & happy cruisin'!
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Passenger

RCCL does offer a wine package - 7 bottles of wine or champagne from a specific
"package" menu and a reduced price.

We took a bottle of champagne back to our cabin every night before the next sea day and had mimosas in the morning.

Drank the other 4 bottles at dinner throughout the week.

It was around $109, but now I understand it's aroiund $169. - gratuity included. Still a good deal as most wines we ordered were about $30/bottle.

11/20/2004 Celebrity Century Western Cruise, then.... "We On VACATION!"
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Gerif

Default Re: Re: Re: Wine Purchase - Discount?

We were on a 5 night to Canada in May - maybe that's why they weren't offering any "packages" but I don't know. In any event, we packed bottled Diet Pepsi (they only have Coke products on ship), bottled water and wine (wrapped in bubble wrap), all in large ziplock bags just in case, in a 22" wheeled suitcase which was checked at the dock with our other bags. No problem at all. Room steward was happy to supply wine glasses and ice bucket. The wine was only for in-room consumption - I understand that the corkage fee has gone up to $20 on RCCL, so we didn't bring any to the dining room.

In Halifax, DH found some obscure wine he used to like and bought a couple of bottles from a stand on the pier. Carried them on with no questions asked (although we didn't drink them until we got home and wouldn't have minded if they insisted on "holding" them until we left).

Oh, P.S. - the empty bag was great for bringing home purchases.
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Admiral

We were on an 11 nighter and they offered a package for around $220-240 I believe. The DW and I each had about a half of a bottle each every night so that was perfect. They will also retrieve your bottle if you are in one of their alternative restaurants for consumption there. Wine in this package was going for about $29 each on an individual basis. so we did save some money..

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Admiral

cruisecrazy, most cruise line do not "allow" you to bring on your own alchol, wine or beer, but it is done all of the time. As others have mentioned, just wrap and pack bottles very carefully to avoid an accident in your checked luggage. We too just consume what we like in our cabin or I make a special drink in my sports water bottle for sipping by the pool. My DH and I drink different wines and liquor, so I often just bring small bottles (nips) or fill empty Poland Springs water bottles with liquor. These bottles fit inside shoes and in small corners of the suitcases. Trust me, my bar & wine bill is still sufficient (+ $500) that I don't feel cheap or guilty just satisfied with my choices. I usually bring wines I know they do not have on-board.
Bon Voyage