Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cuti
Default Food on Explorer

Recently, I booked 10 of us on a June '05 Explorer sailing. Sounds great, right? or so I thought. The more I read these boards the more concerned I'm becoming! So I need the Gods honest truth ABOUT THE FOOD!??? Is it really as bad as some say it is? Is there any hope that it will improve before June of next year? Someone - who's objective - give it to me straight, please. I could have 9 people ready to linch me next June!
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sportsgalcourtney
Default Re: Food on Explorer

I thought the food was great...
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:36 AM
GoatPro

We have never had a bad meal....smome haven't been as hot as we would have liked, some were returned and replaced due to sauce being to salty and the replacement was perfect, but NEVER have I had a BAD meal. First of all the Windjammer food is on steam tables, if the food isn't hot say something and they can turn up the steam temp. I wish that people would speak up while the problem is happening. I find alot just put it in their comment cards at the end.........and then complain that nothing was done. Please speak up when there is a problem....while it is happening. If it is food, speak to the head waiter, if no satisfaction, then speak to the matre d'. His job is to fix it. If there is a problem elsewhere on the ship, try to determine where to go and give them a chance to repair the problem. Usually the best place is the pursers desk. If it is a cabin problem, speak to the steward, if heshe can't or doesn't help contact the head of housekeeping. Don't just wait until the cruise is over and let it sit a fester and have you upset and ruin your cruise. We sail on Explorer of the Seas Oct 24 and I am looking forward to a wonderful cruise. Will post a cruise review when I return.

Inspiration 02
Voyager of the Seas 02
Navigator of the Seas 03
Elation 03
Voyager of the Seas 03
Adventure of the Seas 2/04
Explorer of the Seas 10/04
Summit 11/04
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your opinions. I completely agree with you...if you have a problem and don't give the feedback to get the problem corrected then YOU lose. We have been on 2 other ships (Sovereign and Monarch) and had a wonderful experience - even with the food - but that was 11 years ago. From what I was hearing I thought RCCL had changed. Can't wait to hear your review in October. June '05 is SO FAR AWAY! Thanks again!
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM
boatergirl

We just got off the Explorer of the Seas to the Western Carribbean. The food in Johnny Rockets is great and Windjammer does a great job too (so breakfast is as good as it could possibly be).

There were 15 of us - and we were fairly dissappointed in the dining room food and menu choice. Meals were sort of weird at times - steaks were not that good. Lobster was good. Overall, I thought the food was the same as Carnival - and I had always heard RCCL was the best. I don't agree.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:01 PM
LShea

Cuti,

I have seen the same postings. I, too, agree with sportsgalcourtney. Our meals were terrific. We were on the Rhapsody in March and will be on the Voyage in October and on the Adventure next April. Our tablemates (who cruise many times a year and on different lines) were also impressed with their meals. I know how you feel, we invited our in-laws on the April trip. I wouldn't want to disappoint them!

The nice thing is that if you don't like something you can order something else!

Lori

I
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Ron Epstein

Have sailed 3 times with RCCL. The food is generally all the same....

Dining Room is the best bet, though I rarely eat there because I
don't enjoy portioned foods.

The Windjammer can be VERY GOOD to HORRIBLE. Breakfast
is the worst with rubbery pancakes and waffles to eggs that taste
powdered.

Lunch and dinner is much better fare though the meals sort of
become repetitive after a while. Overall the WINDJAMMER offers
food a cut above cafeteria but certainly nowhere near gourmet.

Please keep in mind that RCCL is a mid-line cruise. They
are not the cheapest and certainly not the most expensive. For
this reason service and food is catered to the budget minded
individual. It is never top-notch.
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
First Mate

Been on 9 Voyager class sailings (Explorer 2x). I guess it depends what you are used to. I think the food is comparable to a decent restaurant at worst. My mother in law is a gourmet cook and had some comments here and there but rated the food ok. The key is not to be shy. The wait staff are thrilled to change a meal if you are not happy with it and will make special requests for you if you like. I don't think you will have a problem. If you don't mind spending a bit extra, Portofinos is excellent.

Don't sweat it. You will love it!

Old July 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the comments. I guess in the end, I'll have to go and find out for myself and hope all my other companions find it acceptable. It's strange how many different opinions you get on this particular subject.

And by the way, I think Portofinos is a great idea, is it hard to get a reservation? (i.e. somthing I need to arrange the minute I board the ship?)
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Not hard to get reservations. I reccommend going the day you board to get the days and times you want however.

Old July 30th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Passenger

I think it is comparable to good quality American-banquet food... like at a nice wedding.
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:20 PM
joanied.

Don't expect gourmet food on the Explorer and you will be fine.--ship is just too big for gourmet.

Enjoy the destinations and ship activities and celebrate the fact that you probably won't gain any weight!
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:05 PM
First Mate

I agree with joanied, except the part of gaining weight...it's inevitable...but what the heck it's a vacation.

I just went on the Explorer in May for the second time and the food was okay. Some nights good, never great, and some nights I must have just picked something that was not that great. I know when you are responsible for others that are cruising with you you want everything to go well, but sometimes it just doesn't. Have a great time and don't worry about it.

Besides you can never go hungry on a cruise ship.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)