CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   1st time cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/235677-1st-time-cruisers.html)

Jen&Jas August 9th, 2004 10:16 PM

1st time cruisers

We're sailing for the first time on Sunday on the Explorer. Just wondering if anyone has advice on excursions, things not to miss, etc. Also, read a lot about bad food on the boat, is this true or are these just picky eaters?! Any words of advice are much appreciated!

Pootersdad August 10th, 2004 06:54 AM

Re: 1st time cruisers

Jen & Jas: My advice about the cruise is to do it with an open mind. Ignore most of the criticism you read on these boards. Don't let someone else influence whether or not you will have a good time. Make your own decision about food, service, ports, etc. You can read two different posts from two different people on the same cruise, and one will love it, one will hate it. If you get onto the ship with a negative attitude, you probably won't have a good time.

We have been on 16 cruises, and have two more coming up soon. The worst cruise we have ever had was good - the best was fantastic!

Have a great time!

CA Cruiser August 10th, 2004 07:01 AM

I totally agree with Pootersdad!! We've never had a bad cruise just some inconveniences. But the good memories outweigh the bad! Have a wonderful time.

Donna August 10th, 2004 08:05 AM

Hi Jen&Jas,
Be sure to catch a parade or two and don't miss the ice show, its really something to see. As for the food, we had no problems with the food on Explorer, I agree with the others, some are just picky when it comes to food. There will be plenty and good tasting as well, have fun!

TheWog August 10th, 2004 10:46 AM

Where are you going for ports, that will help with the don't miss excursions.

Dave Pearce August 10th, 2004 12:23 PM

I was on the Voyager of the Seas in May 2002 for my first cruise and now, won't go on a land vacation or another cruiseline (unless they are free!)

Serious, food was fine, just be prepared to eat to your hearts content.

Not sure what itinery you have so can't answer that for you. But do check out the following.

Do get tix to see the ice show. Its free.

Johnny Rockets is fun to day one day..Good luck in getting seats during peak times.

Read your Compass Magazine everynight (delivered to your room after dinner) and watch when some of the activies and show tickets become available.

Try the Free Ice skating and Wall climbing if you have a chance. If not, I enjoyed watching people try the wallclimbing.

If you like bingo, Wait to the last day or two cause more than likely the jackpot wasn't won and someone will win it.

Walk around the ship and don't forget the small nook and cranny spaces on desks 13, 14 & 15.

At dinner, try whatever you like and remember, if you don't like it you can ask for something else and if you do like it, ask for more!!!

Steve R August 10th, 2004 12:43 PM

the explorer is on of RCCL's better ships. food is good to great--gala buffet is pretty but terrible. deserts are very good. the disco is the best in the entire fleet and the service on this particular ship is 100%

you should have a great time.

Jen&Jas August 11th, 2004 11:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice...now if the hurricane/storms would just move through before Sunday!! Everyone cross their fingers! :)

MICK1234 August 13th, 2004 09:12 AM

Re: Re: 1st time cruisers

JUST GOT BACK FROM THE VOYAGER OF THE SEAS AND IT WAS AWESOME! I'M SURE YOUR SHIP WILL BE JUST AS NICE. DO THE ICE SHOW.