Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM
KiKi D

Default Explorer, Mariner or Jewel?

Cruised Eastern Caribbean this Thanksgiving on Caribbean Princess and want to try RCC next year. Looking at different possibilities. Any advice? Our family incluces 2 girls (16 & 19 yrs old). My husband prefers good food and relaxation and of course the girls like fun, sun and excitement!
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Explorer, Mariner or Jewel?

Just spoke with my aunt and uncle who have gone on more than 30 cruises in the last ten years. They just went on Mariner of the Seas and said it was the best cruise they had ever been on. Best food and most beautiful ship. They have already booked it for two more cruises within this year. My husband and I have also booked the Mariner for May.
Old January 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm one of the few who don't really care for the RCI Voyager Class ships. They are beautiful looking ships, and people seem to love the Promenade.

To my view, it's like being at the mall. A nice mall, but a mall none the less.

On this class of ship you almost have to be on the pool deck to get a view of the ocean.

The Radiance Class (like the Jewel) are gorgeous, and have acres of glass. They actually feel like ships <G>

Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Explorer, Mariner or Jewel?

Thanks Morris.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
KiKi D

Hi thanks for the info... a follow up question. The Mariner sails from Port Canaveral. What are the transportaion options? If you fly into Orlando is there a shuttle to the Port?

And Kuki, as for the Jewel, is there enough teen age action on the Radiance class ships?

Thanks, Kiki
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Kiki...

Except for the ice skating rink, and the Promenade... the Jewel has everything to offer teens (and adults) that the Voyager Class offer.

There's teen dedicated areas, and outstanding kids programming.

We'll be sailing the Jewel in just over 3 weeks... and I can't wait. I'll try and write a full report on my return.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
cruiseprincess0162

I would go with mariner. All of the teens I herd that have gone on it have had a blast. We are lloking at possibly going on her over the summer.
Jenna
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Nancy RYder

we are booked for the Jewel for 3/20th. Have sailed with Holland Am before, Zaandam, and Zuiderdam-had a great time on Ziu. have a 10 yr old daughter and thought Jewel would be even more fun for her, and us. Unfortunatley, have read a lot of "sour" reviews about the food quality. I hope it is not true. We live in Ft. Laud right by the port so we don't have far to travel. Anyone care to elaborate on the food? Also, on HAL we were able to remove t he stuff from the fridgge without a penalty, what about on RCL? Anyone know? thanks
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Yeoman

We just came off Mariner and I have to say that as a whole, I found the personnel not to be as energetic and friendly as on other ships weve been on (Enchantment and Navigator). Of course there were a few that were very nice, but still not quite up to par that weve met on the other ships. Our servers were a bit "cold" and robotic (on past trips our servers have gone out of their way to make sure our drinks were full, even entertained our son; we were paid a visit from the head waiter almost nightly (this trip we saw ours the 3rd and last night only). It took me almost an hour to find our room attendant (I was given an infant life jacket for an almost 3 yr old) whereas last trip, our attendant greeted us as soon as we stuck our key in the door. We had an incident getting ice cream (the man took our order, finished making drinks for others (taking about 10 minutes), and then went and waited on a huge family completely ignoring us (he couldt miss us either as we were right in front of him). My husband went to complain, and all that was done was "I will go talk to him." Like that ever happened. I understand the personnel are busy and not everyone will be like others we have met on other trips, but we all (there were 4 of us) felt that the personnel was not up to par. Its is a beautiful ship, the food was ok (Ive had better), and I will say the the drink service in the Windjammer was excellent (before we had to get drinks ourselves or track down someone. This trip the servers were constantly coming around with drinks.). We booked another trip with RCI but on a smaller ship. Hopefully things will be much better!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Kiki D

Hi, question for you folks who have been on the Mariner, or Kuki you might know; What is the difference betwwn a category D1 and and E1 balcony cabin? The price differnce is about 160 per person. What do you get for that?
Kiki
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Jodi

Hi Kiki...

I will be cruising on the Jewel Feb 12.... Will that be the cruise you will be taking. Pelase email me at jlarruda@fhhlc.com..

Thanks
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Explorer, Mariner or Jewel?

Kiki D: The cat. D1 cabins are a bit larger than an E1. The one thing we noticed in our Jewel D1 was a bit more storage around the vanity, and a "normal" couch rather than a mini-couch. Closet space and bathrooms were the same.

As for which is better - Jewel or Mariner - we prefer the Radiance class ships over the Voyager class. We like all the glass, and the feeling that we're not in a floating mall. Granted, the ice rink and inline skating are nice, but overall, we like Radiance class.

Here's an idea......why not book both, and draw your own conclusions.......

Old January 11th, 2005, 03:25 PM
browezilla

I would vote for the Mariner since you have teenagers with you. They have their own disco, lounge, the promenade (which like Kuki said, is mall-like, and what girl doesn't like the mall), ice skating & show, etc. There will also be more folks their age on Voyager-class ships as it attracts more families then Radiance-class.

For couple sans children, I would say Radiance class. If you have children/teenagers with you, I would vote for Voyager-class. All in all though, you can't go wrong with either.
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM
CruzCrazy

I would pick the Jewel.

I've been on the Explorer of the Seas twice, with it being the first cruise I had ever been on, but now I prefer the Radiance class.

I went on the Brilliance and loved it. I'm booked on the Jewel on a back to back this Dec 3 and Dec 11, 2005 and am looking forward to it. I don't think I will ever go back on a Voyager class again, but it's because I prefer the smaller ships.

My first choice will always be Celebrity's M Class with RCI's Radiance class second.
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Kiki D

Thank you everyone for the advice!
Kiki
Old January 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Yeoman

Hands down for the "Jewel." Radiance class ships do not seem as large as they are but still have plenty of amenities and are classier.