Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Passenger

Default How NOT to plan a cruise trip

As I am sitting here in a panic one week prior to sailing, it just dawned on me that I'm in trouble.I'm not ready and instead of doing anything about it, I'm sitting here drinking coffee and reading the message boards. My kid's summer stuff is still packed away and I know they've grown. It just snuck up on me. I need a service to come in, try clothes on my kids, pack for me and do the shopping for sunscreen and disposable cameras. Does anyone else wait until the last minute to get ready?
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM
First Mate

Default Re: How NOT to plan a cruise trip

No, I usually book a cruise 1 year ahead, and start tanning, shopping, packing, 2-3 months ahead. I start the countdown by days probably 6 months before I leave so no way could it sneak up on me! Hope to book Mariner O.T.S. for April 2006 soon!
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Yeoman

Good luck!!
Half the fun is packing, shopping and repacking for the trip about a month before hand.

You'll still have fun though.
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

"If it wasn't for the last minuet nothing would ever get done."

Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess back to back Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04

Old March 5th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Yeoman

ARGGGHHHHH! As a male Virgo I can honestly say that you are correct....this is how NOT to do it ;>)
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
hcat

We are starting to pack for our cruise Mar 18th but have been planning for quite awhile. Helps cut down ofn overpacking & stress of finding out nothing fits of is out of date....but you can do it. Whatever you forget you can buy on the ship or in port! Don't let it ruin the fun. We alwasy say we'll pack light but take more than we need...
Old March 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Machllz

This is so funny! I am getting stressed about the exact same things you are getting stressed about. Just 10 minutes ago I decided to have all of the kids (5) drag out their summer clothes, try them on and set them aside. I am not leaving until April 23rd. Tomorrow is the day I get going on it all. I was just on ebay looking for shorts for the kids. I am planning on a big order from my favorite online places for summer clothes tomorrow too! Lots of work for 7 people to cruise with only one person doing the work! HUMMMM! I start tanning the 23rd, one month prior to sailing, but am still feeling overwhelmed despite the planning I have already done. I need to get a hotel booked too. YIKES! Let alone any excursions. OH WELL, it will all come together I am sure.
Good Luck!
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How NOT to plan a cruise trip

I need to report that today I pulled out all of the summer clothes, forced 3 teenage boys to try on shorts and bathing suits and only need to buy a few things for the oldest. Thank heavens for hand me downs. I picked up my prescription for meclazine and the rest of the first aid stuff, film, underwater cameras and dug out the snorkeling gear. I cannot see my bedroom floor for the stacks of clothes. I did remember the most important thing - schedule a pedicure for next Friday. For first time cruisers, DON'T DO IT THIS WAY! I also have business trip starting tomorrow until Tuesday. Believe it or not, I used to be a TA and have cruised before!
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

You know, if you can pull it together somehow at the last minute and not be frazzled my hat goes off to you. I wish I could just roll with it. I tend to go the complete opposite direction....
-Amy
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Machllz

Yeah, I have a business trip that I return from the DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE!! And what is even dumber was I knew about the business trip when I booked the cruise! Let's see can I depend on my husband and 5 teenagers to #1 pack responsibly (NO), #2 Clean the house (definately NO) and #3 take care of any last minute details (AGAIN NO!) HUMMM!! I think I need a martini just thinking about it!
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Jamiegunter

Hehe I pack two weeks ahead, go to the tanning bed for month and shop shop shop!!
Good luck, they are getting plenty of summer stuff out now. Target has some cute kids stuff at great prices too! You will survive...
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM
kandk

We have to plan ahead, we will be sailing in December, and in central Ontario, you just donít find summer clothes on the shelves of the stores. Water socks in December in Ontario, I donít think so.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Passenger

I'm another Virgo and we have to plan everything to the enth degree & be ready way ahead of time. I have all the details for April 3 cruise taken care of. That's our family (11) of us but my kids & their spouses will take care of themselves & their kids. I'll start pulling out clothes next weekend. Have cruised enough that the clothes are the easy part.
Now working on details for friends cruise in Sept. We have 8 cabins booked and I'm the coordinator for the group.
In between the cruises taking a 2 week safari in Kenya. Most of that aken care of by TA since it is her group trip. She's done it before so she have sent out great info. I've done it before too so I can remember a lot of it. No good clothes so it is easy.

I'm one of those who loves the planning and all the details so it is fun for me.
Norma
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
JennCandi

I pack the night before, but I don't have kids. Only have to pack for myself. This time we are going on our honeymoon though. So, I will have to pack the week before, so as not to interfer with the last minute wedding planning.
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Peggy Sue

April 3rd to where/on what? We're on Radiance that day.
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
venice

I smell a great business venture.."Cruise Packer"..for the price of air fare and dinner, a person comes to your home the night before your cruise and packs everything for your entire family and then meets you at your home upon your return and unpacks, does your laundry, develops your pictures and puts them in a photo album and serves you your first night meal,just like you had on the ship
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

, we're doing our first cruise on 4/9/05 on SOS. The only thing we have done so far is book our pre-cruise hotel, the limo service to/from the airport and....that's it!

It really doesn't seem much different than going on vacation, the only difference being is bringing a garment bag for his suit and me bringing a dress for formal night.

But since you have kids, I can understand the crazyness involved in making sure their clothes fit & such!
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Passenger

I'm down to 2.5 days before we head to Florida and I have at least made a list of what I think I want to pack. Except for actually packing, finding someone to feed the dog, getting my office in order, getting a tan and losing about 10 lbs - I'm ready!
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Passenger

I am already stressing about our DS's. Time to shop for decent clothing for them & we leave in appx. 298 days. (JOS 1/2/06)
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:59 AM
First Mate

I love it!!! I came upon this post this morning 3/13 and we sail 4/8/05, the suitcases are in the bedroom, the summer clothes have been tried on!! BUT I HATE TO PACK!! We always take tooooo many clothes but then we can choose what to wear. It all comes together and there have been times I'm packing the night before. Do I really need 8 pairs of shoes?? Hmm!! Have a great cruise.

Old March 16th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Regina

I've really enjoyed reading these posts!! I'm a bit of a last minute person but decided to go ahead and start at least trying on things from the past summers to make sure they still fit (some do, some don't!). We set sail on April 2 on Grandeur and I am so looking forward to it.

Traveling with husband, 7 year old daughter and a dear friend and her 5 year old son. I'm worried about overpacking as this is our first 7 day cruise (Third cruise, though). The advice on this site has been invaluable! Everything from what to pack to how to tip and advice for sailing with kids.

One of my favorite things about cruising is the Kid's program---they'll be safely tucked away having supervised fun while I find a nice lounge chair and read to my heart's content!

Is anyone else sailing the Grandeur on 4/4? Would love to get to know you. Also, I'm planning to book the cooking class excursion in Cozumel (I'm an attorney by day and chef by night---graduated from culinary school recently!) so I'm interested in any and all feedback.

Thanks everyone for making this a great site to visit!

Sixteen days until we fly to New Orleans!!!

Regina
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Beginner

I am also a first time cruiser....april 10/05 to mexico!!! have also found this site so helpful!! from tips to dress to excursions. Packing not started, but tanning and list making is.