Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Post Cruise Depression

Hi Fellow Cruisemates:

We returned home from a perfect week on the perfect ship (the Radiance) on Feb 27. All was well for the next 7 days and then -- boom -- I felt myself slipping into a "funk" on the afternoon of March 7. There was nothing wrong and yet everything seemed wrong.

I told my hubby that I was suffering from PCD -- post cruise depression. I was starting to feel like I was the only one feeling this way when Tuesday evening both of our teenagers said, "I miss the ship! I miss Willie (concierge)! I miss singing to Damion (asst. waiter), I missing going up to a bar tender to get a Coke, I miss Gordon talking to me each evening, etc." Even my husband came down with it the following day.

The first week back from a cruise you are still on a "high" thinking about where you were only several days ago. Now....the tans are fading, the shore excursions seem so long ago and I have to make my own bed.

You can't complain to friends and family about this because they would say, "You just got back from vacation -- what do you have to complain about!" I think that you people here in this forum would understand the feeling. I don't remember PCD hitting me this hard before.

I guess the only cure for PCD is planning another one!

Old March 11th, 2005, 08:04 AM
cruisingprincess

Default Re: Post Cruise Depression

I know exactly what you mean. Especially when things are getting busy and tough at work, it hits the hardest. We got back from a week on the Grand in Nov. and guess what I did this past weekend? Booked the Grand again for the first week of April! That's less than a month away. I couldn't take it any longer! Now that's bad pcd.
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We returned from a cruise Feb. 13. I almost panicked when I looked at my cruise schedule and didn't see anything on it until Oct.

Just a FACT. The more you go, the more you want to go!! <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
JennCandi

When my fiancÚ and I returned from our cruise in Nov. all we did was look at the website and look at there web cam to see where they were for the next two weeks. I don't think I started feeling better about being home, until we booked our next cruise (honeymoon in June).

Before we left the boat on the last day, we wondered what they would do if we just refused to get off. We really wanted to go again. Who cares if it was the same literary, we would have found new things to do in each port!
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Passenger

I know the feeling. We are home almost a month now and I am looking where to go next. Besides that its cold here and it snowed yesterday. The time on the ship just goes to fast. My son and his wife are going in 2 weeks and how I envy them.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

I feel your pain. I was in tears the morning of our last disembarkation. I was simply not in any big hurry to get back to reality. My husband and I even got in a heated argument at the airport when I desparately wanted to volunteer our seats so we wouldn't get home til the next day. When we went out to eat the next day I was literally taken aback when the waitress didn't pull out my chair and that there were no linen napkins. What do you mean paper napkins???? Where's the pretty lady with my fruity drink??? Yea, it's sobering to come back home after cruising. You can get spoiled really quick. It seems like many of you cure the post-cruise blues with another cruise. Oh, if my bank account would only allow this....

Another thought: Isn't it amazing how when you're on vacation your job seems worlds away. You could never go back and not miss it. Yet when you get home and head back to work, before your first day's even out you're back in the swing of things and feel like you never left. I hate that..
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM
hcat

Ther's only one cure for PCD--book another cruise. We always like to have something to look forward to even if it is far in the furture...
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Matt Karp

I feel your pain. After we get a few bills paid, we're booking the Enchanment C & A member cruise. There's nothing like the anticipation of the next cruise.

Song of Norway '86
Voyager of the Seas '00
Adventure of the Seas '02
Navigator of the Seas '03
Serenade of the Seas '04
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Post Cruise Depression

Is it just me? When people are sitting around, I can always lead the conversation to cruising. Yet, I notice that non-believers (those that have never cruised) sometimes get a bored look on their faces. How can that be? What's worse is those that have cruised once and don't seem to care if they don't do it again. How can you not feel the excitement and anticipation of the next cruise?
When I'm doing the laundry, I'm calculating when and what I'll pack. When I'm cooking dinner, I'm thinking about the formal dinner menu. When I watch the weather, I imagine the weather in my next port. When I see a calendar, I count days till embarkation. Do I have a problem?

Old March 12th, 2005, 08:57 AM
terrimcc

The best cure is to book another one. I like to think of cruises as another monthly bill. It doesn't take much to book, and I just pay a monthly payment. Just booked a 5 night on the Empress of the Seas, and feeling much better now.

Sovereign of the Seas 4/2002
Majesty of the Seas 11/2002
Grandeur of the Seas 3/2003
Sovereign of the Seas 12/2003
Splendour of the Seas 04/2004
Empress of the Seas 01/17/2005
Empress of the Seas 08/15/2005
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

We suffered from PCD before we even got off the ship! So to cure this ailment we booked another cruise while still at sea! It seemed so far away but gave us so much hope! Now it's 5 weeks away which still seems so far but still gives so much hope! I imagine we will probably book another cruise while on board, possible on the Freedom. As everyone has said... the only cure is another cruise!

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Passenger

Having at least one cruise booked is certainly a help to combat PCD. Between cruises you can also get your "fix" but watching tapes of cruising shows from Travel Channel. They are running them again in March. Go to www.travelchannel.com and look for the shedule in your area.
It's not the same as being there but it helps.
my name is Norma and I'm a cruiseaholic.
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Hi:

After 33 cruises, I also have PCD, every time. Especially when I go back to work. The only solution I've found is; as others have mentioned...book a new cruise as soon as you get home, or better yet while on the ship. You have to have something to look forward to, and this is the only solution that works for me. The first day back from a cruise isn't so bad, because you're still feeling great from your vacation, but after that, it seems as if I go downhill very fast.....

Happy Cruising......

Anita
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
marlin

My name is Marlin and im a cruiseaholic
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to My_chemical_romance27

HI MARLIN....MY name is Linda...and I am a cruiseaholic....but i dont want the ten step program to make me better...i just want another cruise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Hi CruiseMates...My name is Teresa...and I am a cruiseaholic. So much so I just ordered personalized license plates...LV2BATC....LOVE TO BE AT SEA....On a whale tail background....I'm getting a license frame in case someone can't figure it out. I give all the credit to a fellow Cruisemate here, lv2b@sea...thank you....when I saw her name I just had to have it. And I agree with Linda, no 10 step, 12 step, etc program for me either. I'll live with this "sickness"!

Post Edited (03-14-05 00:35)

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
marlin

Linda!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just booked a 14dayer Sea Princess 2-11-2006
I can smell the salty air already!!!!!!!!!
At least I hope thats what Im smelling
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
kdonner

wow HappyJan.. you sure know how to start a page... there are tons of us cruisahollics out there.. I never imagined....
we need to plan a caa trip.... cruise aholics annoymous
Ken
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Passenger

yes donner and we can have our meetings on the cruise ship...and then we can write the cruises off on our taxes as business expenses...what do you guys think?????
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Passenger

DH and I were talking about this earlier today. We decided that there needs to be some studies done. PCD should be listed as a medical condition. Unfortunately, it is incurable... you can only treat the symptions (with another cruise, of course). My disablity insurance would kick in, which would allow me the time & money needed to treat the condition!

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Instead of
"There's no place like Home"
we should say
"There's no place like the ship on a cruise"

It really hit me bad on my first day back at work. My husband called me on his way to the grocery store. He wanted to know what I wanted for dinner. "How many dinners are we having?" I asked? "Only one," he said. "But I'm used to having at least two" I whined back to him. "Sorry honey but there's only going to be one dinner tonight." "Okay...but are there appetizers involved?" "No, no appetizers, only one dinner, and no matter how much you beg me, I'm not walking around the table balancing a lit dessert on my head."

Coming home was hard.

If that wasn't shocking enough, there were other horrors to be discovered. It was now up to us to clean off the table and wash our own dishes, provide our own means of entertainment, and worst of all, when we arrive home after work we're not greeted by a cool towel animal.

Now that I know we're suffering from PCD and what the cure is, I'm going to book another cruise for us. The cure might not be permanent but at least we'll be in remission.
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:55 PM
hcat

We haven't even left yet (three more days) & I am thinking about the next one & the next one----
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Passenger

here is one for you guys...my family and i are looking to relocate..and get out of the cold of michigan...and we are only looking at places that are closer to take cruises out of..like florida...alabama...georgia...so we dont have the expense of the air...we could drive to the port..now i would say that we are hooked..line..sinker..hahaha
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Fellow Cruisemates:

I want to thank each of you for posting a response to my "condition".

I felt so melancholy that I had to tell somebody who would understand -- and I am so glad to find out that other cruisers experience it, too. I was feeling very alone. Now, each time I log onto cruisemates.com and see the number of posts growing it helps me to feel better.

To karenw333: My hubby and I enjoyed your term of "non-believers" and have found this to be absolutely true. They only want to argue with you about how awful cruising is. OK, I don't want any grouches on my ship anyhow. I'll bet these non-believers also complain wherever they go.

To RobRen: I laughed out loud at your post about dinners and appetizers and, especially, not being greeted by a cool towel animal when you get home!

To Normaxs: Thanks for the Travel Channel tip. We have many of the cruise week shows on VHS and watched the Radiance one tonight. It was comforting to even seen our cruise director, Gordon Whatman, mingling with the Alaskan passengers. Oh! And, there was the large, blue globe on the way into the Colony Club!

I will keep checking to see the membership of our PCD club grow.

Feeling better because of you all,

Old March 14th, 2005, 07:27 AM
marlin

WOW
Thanks for the lift
linda
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Passenger

Five days and counting. My wife already said she is not going to cook after Wednesday, we are onour own. Mariner of the Seas
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Johnkut,

, wait until she gets home...it's even worse. I didn't want to cook for a week, maybe even longer. I also didn't want to make my bed, clean the house, go to work, etc...I think you get the picture. Have a wonderful time, the Mariner is a beautiful ship.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Since our next cruise is coming up in 18 days (YIPEE)and the next isn't until September, we are starting to look ay Jan. 2006. Keep watching the old cruise shows on Travel Channel & /or tapes just to keep the feeling going.
Wonder if I can work out a deal to live on cruise ships? My idea is to contract with RCCL out of Miami & go from ship to ship forever.
Norma
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:26 AM
kdonner

Well I agree... in fact I think the way to retire would be on a cruise ship.... just think it is actually cheaper than a nursing home.. all your meals are cooked.and served. better than a nursing home...lots of excercise availiable...great entertainment... better than a nursing homes.... and you get to see lots of sites... No nusring home for me...
hahahha
Ken

19 days until I cross the gangplank on the Explorer of the Seas...