Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:53 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Never again

Shane, also let me know about Johnny Rockets, I must have misunderstood something. We'll be here when you get back.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Passenger

First I want to thank eveyone on this board that understood my situation. To clear a few things up. First, I had the money available for all charges on my sea pass. I knew how much money I had available in my checking account and after leaving the ship I still had money in my checking (so I thought) to pay for our last night spent in Ft. Lauderdale. I payed for dinner, and the hotel charges and still had some money(not much) left over. I checked with my bank before departing the ship and everything was fine. Then, after returning home is when I found out that RC put a hold on a random amount of money on my checking account by them doing this it totally put a hold on the funds I had available for the hotel stay and other charges that automatically come out of my account that I budgeted for.
I do agree that a normal Credit Card would have been better to use, but my husband and I got rid of all of our Credit cards and strickly use cash. We have been in debt with credit cards in the past and now with out credit cards we have no debt and like it like that.
I have posted on this board before, and was so disappointed on how you people spoke to me. I was so exicted about traveling on RC, this is not my first cruise, we vacation every year so I am not new to vacationing. I have never, never had this problem. I am most angry at RC for the horrible Customer Service I received. I could not believe that she hung up on me. I am in the Customer Service Field and would never, never hang up on a customer. I am not trying to get back at RC by posting, I only want to make everyone aware of this situation.
Thank you for the understanding of the few.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Emm... Unfortunately, you are the one who is uninformed... RCI and Carnival does not require a credit card up for your on board purchases, you may make a cash deposit or use traveler's checks. If you use cash or traveler's checks to fund your on board account and do not use a debit or credit card there will be no way that the cruise line can place any sort of a hold on those accounts, thus the issue has been avoided.

When we cruised Carnival they made it clear that they did place a hold on debit card accounts and that it could take several days after the cruise for it to resolve in your account. I found it much simpler to save my Credit Card for land purchases (in case of disputes) and traveler's checks for on board purchases,

It worked out beautifully.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Never again

I understand what you are trying to say, and appreciate your frustration. The problem is with RC and their customer service. I have never heard anything good about it. Which reallly surprises me. I would never use a debit card merely because my friend lost $ 3,000.00. Next time just put up a deposit. They'll let you know when its running low.
Sorry for your problems.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Passenger

I'm new to this site. My user name is my cat's name.

It is obvious when you use a credit card or a debit card, and the amount of the purchase is unknown (i.e. on board charges on a cruise ship, hotel charges, pre-pay at the gas pump) a certain amount is reserved ahead of time to assure payment. I don't know why this would surprise you.

No one deserves to be treated rudely. At the same time, asking RCCL to pay for your NSF charges seems a little unreasonable. There are alternatives to keep this from happening again. If you are concerned about using credit wisely, may I suggest an American Express card with the option of having to pay the entire balance each month. Or having your bank autromatically transfer funds from your savings account when you do not have sufficient funds to cover a check.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM
libbynan

I am an RCI stockholder and I cruise w/ them and would be the first to agree that they have customer service problems. My husband and I are often horrified. as stockholders, at some of their very questionable decisions and we make our concerns known. However, in this case I feel that the complaining party made some questionable and ill-informed decisions and then tried to blame the entire resulting debacle on RCI. That said, the customer service rep should never have hung up on a customer! Even if the customer was being profane and abusive - which I have no way of knowing - the call should have just been transferred to a supervisor. My problem is with people who don't read the fine print or try to find out exactly what is going on and then refuse to take any part of the blame. In this case there was blame on both sides, but the customer wants to put it entirely on the cruise line. ASSUMING things will nearly always get you in trouble...... find out exactly what the story is to avoid it.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Passenger

Libbynan, Please explain how my decision was questionable and ill-informed. In the RC book before boarding you are required to sign a page stating how you are going to pay for your on board purchases. I read that form and it does not state that there will be a hold on my account for up to a certain amount of days after the cruise. In fact the CSR at RC confirmed with me that the form I filled out does not state that. So reading "fine print" would not have help since there was none. As for not wanting to take blame. I have nothing to take blame about. I paid Several Thousands of dollars to stay in a suite, I spent close to that on my sea pass and I would expect to be notified if a Hotel, or Cruise Ship or any retail industry is going to put a hold on my money. No one has the right to determine a random amount of money they are going to set aside on my account without informing me of it. It would be different if I was told of it. If I sighed for it, then put up a fuss. I was not informed at all of this practice so I did not budget the extra amount.
Here is an update: I finally spoke with a very nice CSR at RC. She was very appoligentic. She asked for me to fax her a copy of my bank statement and a copy of the hold they put on my account and promised to take care of it for me. So today I faxed her all the information.
On a final note: I am just so disappointed with everyone this board. I have posted before and it seems that everyone is happy happy when you post only good posts. Once something goes wrong and you post watch out. I have been accused of working for Carnival, I have been attacked for no reason. If one person can honestly say that if a retail instituation charged your account, or put a hold on your money and did not let you know and you ended up being overdrawn on your account due to the charges or holds you would not want to be reimbursed? Think about it. The only difference and I think the reason for the Hoopla is I used my Debit card instead of a Charge Card.
I will post one last time on this board to let everyone know if RC came through with the Credit.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM
libbynan

According to other posters, the practice of "reserving" out a certain average amount on debit cards is a wide-spread practice. It seems to me that if you use one you would be aware of this. I wouldn't know as I don't have one and never will. I have only once allowed anyone to deduct from my checking account (a gym) and that was a debacle and I learned my lesson. I fully understand trying to stay away from credit cards if you have problems controlling expenditures, but I would think a card to be used only for cruises would be a good idea. I have a friend who keeps a Visa in her safety-deposit box for trips only. She saves all year for her vacation and knows exactly how much she has to spend. She takes the card as a convenience and for the consumer protection it provides.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

What a learning experience.

I had never thought one way or another about the difference between using my debit card or credit card to back our Sea Pass. But after reading this thread....I will NEVER use a debit card on a cruise for our Sea Pass!

This information has come right on time too...as we will be sailing the Monarch of the Seas. My brother and his family, who have never cruise before, were intending to use a debit card. They even asked me about it!!
I said I didn't think it mattered one way or another. Wrong!

To be sure, forewarned is forearmed.

I have learned so much about cruising from the CruiseMates website...it has been so so helpful, especially to my husband and I who are fairly new, (only 4 cruises behind us) when you can learn from the more experienced.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Sorry you had a bad experience and I thank you for sharing it. I guess there are times when you have to use a credit card. I can understand why you would rather deal with cash or debit cards. I hate the late charges and interest fees.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Sandra W, I am so glad my posting has helped you. This is why I posted my story to begin with. I was not trying to bash RC I only wanted to share my experience in the hope that if anyone needs to use a debit card to inquire about any holds placed on the account before you sail. This way you can budget the extra amount.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
terrimcc

: Kupiecb , I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience with RCCI, and the posters on this board.
1: I like you have always used my Visa debit card when traveling. I like knowing that my bank will be looking out for me and my money.
2: I too feel that RCCI and any other company has a responsibility to notify you if they are going to place a hold on your account wether it is a debit or credit card.
3: I have also read the fine print in my docs. and there has never been any mention of reserving money or holds on any account.
4: My husband and I have cruised quite a bit in the last couple of years and we have never encountered this problem using our Visa debit card. So as for this being a wide spred practice I must say not in my experience.
5: We have sailed on Empress of the Seasonce before. And this was the only ship we encountered any problems. They did have problems bringing up our bill, locating our $200.00 on board credit, and at times were not even able to cash travelers . These (among others) were problems that nearly caused me to not book our summer cruise, as the Empress is the only RCCI ship doing the itinerary we were looking to take our kids on.
6: I would like to think the problem you had was more ship practice than RCCI practice. But you can be sure that I will be watching more closley in August when we go. Thanks for the warning.
7: I hope you have better luck dealing with RCCI, and hopefully if you will give the members of this board another chance they will act in a more grown up and respectful manner, as bad things can happen to anyone and any of us may need help or just support.
Terri

Sovereign of the Seas 4/2002
Majesty of the Seas 11/2002
Grandeur of the Seas 3/2003
Sovereign of the Seas 12/2003
Splendour of the Seas 04/2004
Empress of the Seas 01/17/2005
Empress of the Seas 08/15/2005
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Don't use a debit card for anything to do with travel, even if you rent a car they tie up your chrcking acct for about $350.00.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:54 AM
Admiral

You should realize that ANYTIME you use your debit card for hotel, car, resort a "hold" is placed on your account. Please don't think this is confined to a cruiseline.

We use a VISA check card because charges *can* be disputed, you are not liable for charges if your card is reported stolen and, like you, we prefer the cruise be paid for from our checking account.

But be aware that your bounced check charges *might* have resulted from the hotel post cruise that you spoke about, or car rental (if there was such), etc.

I suppose what some people were trying to say is that your financial problems weren't caused by the cruiseline, but your lack of knowledge about how your card works.

Good luck sorting it out with the cruiseline. It certainly *was* inexcusable for them hang up on you.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kupiecb,
I haven't used a credit card in 8 years unless it was an emergency. I refuse to give them anymore money, but I do know the importance of having one "just in case". I use my debit card for all of my vacations & I've used it everytime i've cruised (15 & counting)! I'm a travel agent so I travel alot and I've never had a problem using my debit card. Mistakes can happen and it sucks you've had to deal with all of this. I know it has to be frustrating for you. Just because we all love to cruise doesn't mean the cruise lines are perfect. Just like any business they're bound to piss us off every now and then. Out of my 15 cruises I've run into a few unpleasurable experiences onboard as well as bad customer service, but I'll continue to cruise because I love it so much. The good definately out weighs the bad! Sorry you were attacked for your "warning" to all of us. I appreciate your post & I will pass the info along to my clients. Good to know!!

Old May 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Eve2005

Kupiecb,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will be sure not to use my debit card. I too have cut down on my credit card and have been using my Visa Check Card for just about everything. I budget pretty well, however it seems I may have ended up in the same situation as you especially if the documentation had not referenced a "hold" amount. I have my first cruise coming up in August on RC hopefully it will be a good experience.

Best Regards,
Eve
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm still confused by your posts...you say that you are not bashing RCCL yet, your subject line is "NEVER AGAIN." The last line of your original post says , "I will never, never go on another Royal Caribbean ship. If you do, beware." How is that not bashing?? It was a simple miscommunication, that you obviously raged about immediately before actually finding out the problems. I understand you were upset that your bank put a hold on your account because of the charges to your debit card, but, in my opinion, you should find out about these things BEFORE you decide to use them on a trip.
I totally agree with you on the Customer Service issue as no vendor should hang up on their clients so if you choose not to cruise w/ RCCL based on that...I could accept that.

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Kupiebc and others, first allow me and the staff to apologize for not deleting these offensive posts before others saw them. In the future hit the report this post button so that we become aware of them quicker. Secondly, the customer rep should not have hung up on you, that was rude and bad business. Third, I am sorry but I do agree with RCI that it is not their problem that you were overdrawn and they are not responsible for you NSF's. It is standard practice for all lines to place a hold on your debit card if that is what is presented at boarding. How much is what is or seems to be the question that I for one have never heard a satisfactory answer to. To avoid this problem in the future what I personalloy recommend is that you get one of these CCs that have no yearly fee and use it exclusively for your cruise. It really does not matter the interest rate as you pay it off completely when you return and incure no interest fees. The upside is great as you have a record of excatly how much you spend on your cruise and you build good credit ratings which tends to lower your rate on those things that you do need to finance.
Jim

Old May 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
MrOctober

It seems they delete a lot of messages that do not support the cruise lines. I posted a message about RCC running out of beer on the second night out on the May 2nd sailing of the SOS....now My whole thread is gone as well as all the pictures I posted...
I too Never Again.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Passenger

the nightmare that you address isnt really that bad all ships at some point in their life will have engine troubles, like cars i do agree that you are dissappointed that you missed a port on your cruise but at least you were compensated for that. All cruise lines experiences problems with ships its just you were unlucky with the ship that you were on, but which ship was this. you should try another one of their ships and see that you wont get the bad experience that you had on your previous on with the company.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Passenger

ok it could be empress i just found out, not one of the wise choices from rccl, try another on a larger popular ship may turn around your views.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Passenger

In response to everyone on this thread who thought RC should not be responsible for my overdraft on my checking account. What is wrong with all of you. Since when did we all get so comfortable with the retail business that it is now acceptable for anyone to put holds on our money without our concent. I am sorry but I think there is something wrong with this. Do you all understand I was not made aware that RC was putting a hold on a random dollar amount from my checking account. This hold was not put on from my bank. On my original post I did state never again to cruise on RC. I was upset about the CS rep hanging up on me. I was not bashing RC I was stating fact about the ship and CS. I do agree that as soon as you post about a bad expereience everyone gets all upset.
Just to let everyone know, RC did refund me the NSF charges. So there you go, I was not crazy to request the refund. And due to this I may even give RC another try. I am wiser due to the experience and will never use my debit card again for my ship board expenses.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM
First Mate

I am glad that you got your money refunded. I have always known that if you use your debit card that they tie up a amount certain on your account. I don;t know where I found out that information, I think it was on a car rental. I would never use a debit card for anything. I don;t think it was RC fault, I think it is a general practice for any use of your debit card. I am sorry you had such a bad experience, and again, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone from customer service hanging up on you. It is just bad business practice.
Since Celebrity and RCCL belong to the same company, I am surprised that RCCL does not take care of their customers like Celebrity. I just read where a cruise was cancelled on the Summit, they refunded everyones money as well as giving them a free future cruise. They had one cruise where the trip was cut short by one day and everyone got a $ 300 shipboard credit. I don;t think RCCL is quite so generous.
Well I am glad it turned out ok for you and hope you do not have another experience like that again. BEWARE THE DEBIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Congratulations on getting the NSF charges refunded back to you. As they say--the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Old June 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

Well, besides the trouble with the debit card, I have to say consider yourself lucky that your engine troubles didn't delay in your getting back to port. We sailed the Vision in April, lost an engine (down to 2 of the 4 - 1 was lost on an earlier trip), and lots of us missed our planes home. Being a Sunday, no one was able to reschedule that day. RCI did put us up in a hotel, offered to reimburse us for meals, and $100/pp for flight change fees. Sounds great til you realize no one got home for $100. One couple had to upgrade to first class to get any flight home the next day, and we had to fork over almost $300/pp to get home the next day. I'm still waiting on the reimbursement check. I'll tell you what I think of RCI after I see the check. I would have rather missed a port than dealt with this mess.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for the advice on not using the debit card. I use my debit card for everything.....but I won't be using it on my upcoming cruises (Sept 05 and Nov 05). Thanks again
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Cruisefool

"you say that you are not bashing RCCL yet, your subject line is "NEVER AGAIN." The last line of your original post says , "I will never, never go on another Royal Caribbean ship. If you do, beware." How is that not bashing?? "

Simple, relaying one's negative experience and proclaiming that they won't do business with a company (for good reason, I might add) and explaining why, is not "bashing", it is informing and warning others of what might happen to them in similar circumtances.

If a person comes here and just said "RCCL is the worst cruiseline ever, I hate them, they stink I'm never going to cruise them again" without reason or examples, THAT is bashing.

For those of you who know the difference and who would appreciate an intelligent cruise forum where people aren't rudely attacked for stating their opinions, may I suggest you google cruise fools...
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Ron Smith

There is one simple solution for anyone who, like me, uses only debit cards and never a credit card.

Simply open a new account at your current bank, get a debit (check) card for that account, and use it for any "unknown charge" expenses such as bookings, hotel check ins, car rentals, etc. Then use your regular check card for your normal living, bill paying, etc charges. My wife and I, between the two of us, actually have a total of 5 debit/check cards (including a Paypal MC that does not say "check card" on it) at 2 different financial institutions. We keep a large balance (at least equal to the daily limit of $2500) in each account so if a problem developes or if we go over-limit on one card/account, we always have several other options available.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Admiral

I'd like to thank you for informing me about the debit card situation. What people aren't realizing is that they weren't told of any holds previously. I found out the hard way ( meaning a few minutes before I was to leave with the car) with a rental car. That is when I learned they put a hold on my account. Fortunately for me, they told me BEFORE hand. I managed to move money from savings to my checking. RCCI should make it clear when a person choses to use a debit card. I'm not cruising for about 6 months and started reading everything I can get my hands on so not to have a situation "Pop Up" on me. But as I read more and more, I'm never going to learn everything I SHOULD know prior to cruising. RCCI has to remember that they've been doing this for a long time, many of us have not done this before and don't know all the details. This cruise is becoming more detailed orientated then planning a wedding! . Still looking forward into having a great time. If anyone has any secrets, tips, etc. for the Voyager, I'd love to hear them! We too will be spending a small fortune for a suite.
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM
BRB

I checked my debit card and there was some information --available on the internet -- and probably fine print when I received the card but failed to read. .

It said that some merchants will put a "hold" on more funds than you actually spend -- such as 20% in restaurants for expected tips -- %20 in addition to full price on rental car -- and it also noted that cruises will hold 15 to 25% more depending on the cruise line. The reasoning for this was also stated.

The actually amount charged will be the same as what you spend, but that the surcharge will be held until the bill is final.

I guess the solution is to check with your card company or bank -- and ask the cruise line up front what is going to be held. The information is there, and its up to me as a consumer to find out the "rules". I can't see holding someone else responsible for my lack of information.