Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Default New to RCCI questions

We've taken only 1 other cruise on Princess and enjoyed it very much... going to Alaska next year on the Serenade, and have some questions for all you vetran RCCI folks. I've heard that Royal Caribbean is more strict with their alchohol / wine policies... we were able to take our own wine aboard Princess (not even disguised, packed in a wine box and put in with our checked luggage)...can I do this with RCCI? Are tips put onto our account like on Princess? This was quite convenient, as you don't have to figure it all out and dispurse the money yourself.... Well, we arent sailing until Sept. 06 so as my questions come, as Arnold says..."I'll be back"... Thanx

Old July 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

Default Re: New to RCCI questions

The only alcohol I've ever smuggled aboard was a bottle of champagne in each of our 2 checked pieces. I've done that on Princess, RCCL, Carnival and NCL without incident.
If you check the archives on the boards, liquor smuggling is a pretty frequent topic so you might check there for further info. I don't recall other passengers commenting about severe measures to contain bootlegging, though.

Yes, your tips are added in to your onboard account.

Enjoy
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Admiral

On RCI you, if you want your tips added to your account, you have to fill out a form stating so. You should be given vouchers to put in envelopes to had out to the individuals. If you don't fill out the form, then you can put the cash in the envelopes to personally hand them to the individual and thank them.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Royal doesn't allow you to honestly bring booze on board you do have to smuggle it. I was just on the Serenade in April (Southern Caribbean, not Alasks). She's a very nice ship, you'll have fun.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
gerif

If they don't allow wine to be brought on board, then why do they specify a corkage fee???
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Because sometimes TAs send a bottle of wine to your cabin....they charge the corkage fee if you take it into the dining room.
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM
happy guy

Mag, when are you going to Alaska ? we are going on June 4th of 06 on the Serenade
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You ARE allowed to bring wine and champagne onboard on RCI for in cabin, or in dining room consumption.

The corkage fee's are charged for serving YOUR wine or champagne. If your travel agent happened to send you a bottle there is NO charge for serving it in the dining room.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Happy Camper

Kuki - in 2002 they took my wine that I brought in my carry on and said that I could not bring it on board - it was only 2 bottles... I got them back the last day.. Carnival has always allowed it but RCL told me "no".. Debbie
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
MER

Our experience with RCCL is that they do not allow alcholol to be brought on and consumed - legally. Per the RCCL info
"Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or
at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the
last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to
assist with the storage of your purchases. Should you choose to consume
alcoholic beverages purchased from the Shops On Board, a consumption fee
will apply at the time of purchase. Note that no open liquor bottles will be
permitted to be brought into dining areas or public areas. "
However - On every trip we have smuggled booze/mixers on board in the plastic liquor flasks you can buy at your liquor store. The last trip we took a leap of faith and bought the plastic bottles of booze, electrical taped the tops to prevent leaking and put them into a plastic zip lock bags. We always put these in our checked luggage, never the carryon. They have always made it to our room and nothing was said by the cabin steward. He no doubt thought we were professional drinkers! At the ports of call we would pick up mixers or a 6 pack of diet coke to bring back on board. Now I understand why I saw some cruisers taking a 24 pack of coke in the carryon when boarding in Miami.
As it says in the RCCL caption, if your short on space in your luggage, you can also buy liquor at the duty free shops on board and pay a corking fee to take it to the room and consume it, but it can be pretty pricy, but certainly cheaper than their bar drinks. The corking fee applies to everything - wine or hard liquor - if your intent is to consume it. On one RCCL cruise, they opened up the duty free shop and did a two for one and charged only one cork fee for everything and allowed us to take all of it to the room for consumption. So, I guess it just depends.