Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:21 AM
JeanC

Default The Cruise From Hell

I was on the cruise and I have to say that RCCL was very unprofessional in how the situation was handled. The same way they did not want to be represented on the TODAY show is the same way that they treated all the guest on ship inquiring about their options. They were very unaccomodating and there was nothing to do in the ports of call that they chose to take us to. The weather was bad from the departure on sunday and did not improve until our return on Friday. My feeling is that I should have been given an option of where I wanted to go and when not forced to go somewhere that I had not prepared for or wanted to go to in the first place.

As for the couple, it does not matter if Carnival went anywhere. The way that they were treated along with everyone else on the ship is what is the problem and issue. How would a family be satisfied with a mock wedding? What kind of craziness is that? They should have offered to at least send the bride and groom to Bermuda or compensated in some way. The bottom line is that RRCL is just trying to hold on to the money that they got from everyone, and not try to be sympathetic to the other parties involved.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 12:17 PM
Sandra W

Default Re: The Cruise From Hell

This issue has been really discussed in another thread. You might find it intersesting to review the comments.
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
gerif

Get over it - we went on this same trip to Canada last year. It was lovely - chilly, yes, but lovely. We visited Peggy's Cove, the reversing falls, the Titanic museum - not beaches, but still a very nice trip. This year, we took Voyager to Bermuda - it rained on Tuesday and many outings were canceled - definitely not beach weather. I actually spent Wednesday on the ship reading on my balcony until it got too cold. Would you have been happier going to Bermuda in the middle of a storm? Would you have enjoyed the beaches and the pool? Sorry, the cruiseline cannot control the weather.

You still had five days on a lovely ship with entertainment and meals - how horrible was that? Did you find the food and service horrible or just your fellow passengers whining all day?

I do feel sorry for the bride, but if you read any of the threads about weddings and cruise ships, all of them caution about the possibility of port changes (which happens often in the Caribbean) - maybe the bride should have read some of them? Or maybe she would have enjoyed a beach wedding in the middle of a tropical storm?
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
Jayson Hahn

I was also on the Voyager that was supposed to go to Bermuda and went to Canada...

What I could not believe is how many people let it ruin their trip!!! The ship, crew and food could not have been better. If certain people were receiving rude treatment from the crew, it was because so many were "beating" up on them constantly for 6 days. We were treated like gold for 6 days by everyone on the ship.

I agree...Canada is not the best place to cruise to. St. John was a worthless stop but Halifax is a great city. It was unfortunate that the weather was bad the entire way but many of the passengers, especially those Monday morning quarterback "lawyers" who are threatening a class action suit, ruined their own trip, not RCCL.

People think that there are just ports of call waiting for ships to come in unannounced. The storm was heading for Mexico in the AM on Saturday 7/23 and by that afternoon it did a 180 and headed towards Bermuda...unfortunate...maddening...but not RCCL's fault.

What amazed me even more is even after the Captain read a statement over the announcement system from the Department of transportation of Bermuda stating that they would have denied us entry on Tuesday and would have maybe allowed us to dock for 2 hours on Wednesday. Even after learning that people still wanted blood from RCCL.

I am tired of hearing people say how they were "kidnaped" by RCCL. Hundreds of people taking over common areas and theaters to discuss how bad the cruise is instead of having a drink in one of the 6 hot tubs! My wife, 7 year old daughter and myself had a great time on the ship. Weather was unfortunate but I cannot stress enough how many people ruined their own trip.

We would sail with RCCL on the Voyager again in a heartbeat. In fact my daughter has already asked that we sail on that ship again!
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM
First Mate

Yah, and I ordered a Mercedes, pre-paid, but a traffic accident prevented the delivery of my car, so I should just take the new Ford, and not get the difference in money back? Not be offered an option to take delivery on the mercedes at a different time? Yah, sure!

WHY, WHY, WHY is the cruise industry continually being allowed to do what no other seller of a commodity is allowed to do?

I am currently having a problem with RCCL, myself. Hours on the phone, today, with still no resolution. Their customer service rep was NOT accomodating, and now I understand why they were getting so many calls and I had to wait.

Until passengers decide that they are not going to let those who don't care if they are being ripped off intimidate them into not standing up for themselves, this lousy treatment is going to continue.

Assuming the passengers of the Voyager were NOT given the option to rebook to Bermuda at another time (if you were and you went to Canada anyway, that was your choice) AND the difference in the cruise prices were, say 800 a passenger, if you've got 1,000 or so angry passengers, you have what it takes to attract an attorney to your cause. Go visit one.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Admiral

A 5 day cruise is in reality 4 days. ( example-- you sail on sunday evening, you have to be back in homeport on friday morning, thus you get 4 full days ) You are sailing from a northern port. The schedule calls for sailing south . There is a tropical system to the south capable of turning into a hurricane, with rough water at the least. You have to be back at home port friday morning.
Not trying to stir the pot, just honestly curious---- where would you have gone instead and wherever you would have gone, do you think everyone would have been happy?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ron, it seems that the majority of the people who are upset weren't as upset about the change as the customer service they received. They weren't met with any real type of compensation.

As I said before, I checked RCI's website and their weather message was listed as July 24th, which was the day of the sailing! Yet RCI's admonition was to "check the website" for information. On the day you are arriving from another place via vehicle or plane, how is that possible unless you took your portable computer and have internet access? Some people drove the distance beginning the day or night before. Some flew.

Handing out fliers is a piss poor way of doing that business. And I'm sure the lack of customer service help really hurt the good workers on the ship who had nothing to do with the customer service nor major decisions. I wonder how many tips the cabin stewards, waitstaff, etc. received on this cruise from the disgruntled folks who had no other means to air their compaints for service on an already paid for cruise.. save the tipping?

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
First Mate

How would this post have begun if you went to Bermuda and experienced the rough seas and were tossed around for the entire time??? If fate was good to you, you would be safe at home and could write on this board. If not???? So even though your experience was not to your liking your here to complain. Thank the Captain!!!!

Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

What do people expect when they sail during hurricane season? Official season starts June 1st and ends in November. That is why lower fares are offered during this time frame. You get what you pay for... sail when fares are cheaper you risk encountering bad weather, that's why it's cheaper. Not that you're guaranteed good weather other times of the year but don't complain when a hurricane diverts your trip during hurricane season!

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think the key is the words, "compensation". These people want COMPENSATION (read money) RCCI can't win with them either way!

We were on the Radience to Alaska...when the Captain made a decision NOT to enter Hubbard Glacier because of safety issues. In fact we could see HAL and Celebrity
tacking ahead of us...trying to see how close they could get without endangering passengers lives. They didn't enter either because of the ice floats and bergs. Too many! The Captain of the Radience explained that he was sorry but it was too dangerous to proceed. HE'S THE CAPTAIN... This is what he does for a living. But there were compaints, whining and droning on and on and on! ...it was unbelievable.
We heard some passengers saying they wanted their money back...they paid to see Hubbard Glacier...and by gosh they were going to see it!

We were sorry that we didn't see the Glacier up close and personal...but we respected the Captains decision. I can't imagine he woke up that morning and said, "Let see, how can I make 2000+ lives misrable today?"

Come on...do you really think there is a great conspiracy going on in RCCI to rip off their passengers?? I agree and have said before in other threads that RCCI is NOT service driven...but to try and make the situation some sort of dark plot is silly.

I agree with Ron...where else could those passengers have gone on such a short cruise...and would everyone have been happy? NOT! I would like to see THIS question address without all the "it was their attitude' hype and camouflage.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Admiral

SandraW,
When did your experience on the Radiance happen?? We are going in 5 weeks and I'd better prepare my husband just in case...this is HIS cruise!

Also, i saw you're going on the Monarch. I was just on her and she is very nice but just remember, older and she is no Radiance....my cabin (so small) was a shock! But I had a lovely time anyway!
Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
Sandra W

Teresa:

Our incident happened several years ago...since then we have heard from friends that they the Radience and other cruise lines have sucessfully visited Hubbard...It was just one of those freaky nature events () It happens.

You will love Alaska and be sure to take advantage of some of the tours...We loved the Jeep tour to the Youkon. We were all put in brand new Jeeps, a rainbow of different colors...and we caravanned through some beautiful, beautiful country.
I heard from others that the train ride is great too. We are going to Alaska again on Celebrity in 2006.

I would be interested in your review of the Monarch! We have a small cabin with a window only! Our first non-veranda cabin!!! We are going on one of the short 4 night ...5 day Mexican cruises. (5th day doesn't really count)

We had heard the the Monarch was refurbished and was much nicer now. Any comments much appreciated!

You can answer me on this thread if you like or at my email address. (happy smile)
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: The Cruise From Hell

"I would like to see THIS question address without all the "it was their attitude' hype and camouflage."

Attitude is very important. Do you know that doctors with a good bedside manner are sued less often? My dealings with Celebrity, but then I have never had a big problem with them, have shown them to be super. My dealings with RCCI, on this my first trip with them, is that they ARE trying to rip people off, -- and the same mother company? Go figure. Years ago I worked for a company where there was competition between divisions, could this be the reason for the difference?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
Nan59

I'm most sympothetic to the wedding couple. But, I have heard other bad situations also. What about the people who came from Canda, and had to go back by ship! What a bust that is! As well, I have spoke to other couples who took the cruise to Canada last year or so, and had to go back! Every one should have been given a choice!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:44 PM
Janet524

It's always disappointing when a cruise does not go as planned. Unfortunately it's a case of "damned if they do, damned if they don't." Had the itinerary not been changed and the ship sailed straight into a serious storm people would be griping about that just as loudly as they are about the change that was made. Cruising in hurricane season comes with risks. Just deal with it!
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:24 AM
cpaige

NCL went to Bermuda and had great weather
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Glenn Comunale

To All: Step right up folks, step right up that's it get closer because have I got a deal for you. Are you listening? In my hands I have a great really great deal.Five count em five beautiful days on a sub-tropical Island right in the Altantic ocean! Think of it palm trees ,lots of shopping for you gals and men wearing funny short pants with high socks! and don't forget that charming British accent.[oohs and ahhs from crowd]. Thats right just fill out the form and sign and off you go! Whats that you say sir all that funny little print on the back ? well don't worry about that's called the fine print you see sometimes things happen and our lawyers said we gotta protect ourselves from some people who think an injustice has been made against them,but hey don"t you worry nobody can read all that stuff Now all we need is someone here to spin the wheel of weather, whose gonna spin? how about that pretty little missis right here. Where you from honney? Ohio! I guess you had to fly in here to take this trip right!! WEll here goes the spin will it be faiir and calm or something else? boy thats a might powerful arm you got there must own a farm[laughter] lets see its, its its OH NO its diversion to CANADA {shock and grasps] no people all is not lost Canada is a mighty fine country with alot of good decent GOD-FEARING people and lobster lots of fish. She's got another spin and lets see what the weather gonna be, OH @#$%&#$@ its rain,fog wind and what that I hear you all don't have any clothes for Canada well remember what I said about the fine print folks sometimes life is just a box of chocolates you'll never know whats gonna pop up! Wait, whats that sweety YOU WANT A REFUND,ACREDIT!!!! now just a minute here ,what do you think we are the SALVATION ARMY, this here at RCL is a profit making outfit I gotta a wife and two kids to feed it ain't easy[crowd turns ulgy,starts chanting REFUND CREDIT<REFUND CREDIT] salesmen makes hasty phone call to corporate headquarters] big smile ,folks your not gonna believe this but here's what I'am gonna due for ya. I going to give everybody a crdeit on the shipboard tab now hows that! What how much well I thought $45.20 was fair[load outrage from crowd] but wait how's 200,300 hundred sound to ya Yep I don't go to church for nothing you know. What's that again YOU WANT A CREDIT TOWARDS ANOTHER CRUISE!!! What the hell !!! boy youall got alot of nerve [crowd chants cruise credit,cruise credit cruise credit] Seller wipes brow makes another call and SAYS ok,ok,ok, you win after all were in the cruise business and whats the cruise business worth if we have unhappy passengers so looky here this is called a VOUCHER and each and everyone of you is gonna get one [wild applause and cheers] Later that night in the cruise tent the salesman is going over the books he looks up and says well Irma we took a hit on that cruise to BERMUDA but you know what I bet those people work hard all year for those five days and well if I could make it right for them I feel better for it. Camera pans up to starry sky Rod Sterling speaks; one day in a dusty little town this is how it went down in the twlight zone. Commercial for RCL narated by PAT ROBISION. THanks and all apologgies to TWlight Zone. Glenn
Old August 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
marysp39@cox.net

I went on carnival it was the worst cruise I have ever went on and I have cruise alot I will never carnival again
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Glenn: you are a hoot!!! Hey when we were fogged in New Orleans and had to miss Belize you would have thought the Captain said walk the plank. Passengers were ready to sue RCCL. Its all in the fine print which we scim over and it doesn't sink in. Hurricanes are scary enough for the people who have gone through them. It may have been the cruise from hell but they are here to tell about it. Great post, Glenn.
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Sandra W

Try buying a house, car or applying for a credit card...there is lots of small print...Do you take the time to read it...line by line? You should! You should!

If later you have a problem with your insurance or credit card company or even the car dealership and the issue is covered or discussed in the small print...and you go to court...You can count that their lawyers will bring up that nasty small print. Your excuse, " I didn't read it". OR "I didn't think it would happen to us'. OR, "As a good client of yours, I think you should OVER LOOK it to keep me as a good costomer'. OR even, the print is to small...how can anyone read it." PLEASSSE..!

"IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS A CONSUMER TO READ THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE YOU SIGN". If you don't like what you read...don't sign...don't go...DON'T DO IT.

If you gambled thinking it would never happen to you...who's fault is that?
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM
First Mate

I don't know about you, but I have never received the contract BEFORE deposit, or BEFORE final payment, when you are hooked. I just looked at my contract, and it says to refer to carrier's brochure for cancellation information. I NEVER got a brochure.

Should we ask to see a contract before deposit? Probably. Is one supplied? No. Would one be, if asked? Can't tell you, but I don't have a brochure for cancellation info, AFTER the final payment, and with contract in hand.

See that little clause where it says they don't have to compensate you if they use your picture for promotions? That happened with me, no big deal, wasn't bothered at all, but what do you think would happen if I tried to bargain that out? Or any other clause?

Buying a cruise ticket is not an opportunity for equal bargaining -- it's a take it or leave it. I have one to go, WHAT A MESS IT HAS BEEN, but then, I will be doing some rethinking about vacations. I've taken 2 cruises a year for the last three years, but I am not sure that I will continue to do so. When a line isn't even required to have a GOOD reason to cancel, deviate, substitute another ship, postpone, advance blah, blah blah -- but can do it for ANY reason, evidently including a photo op with Donald Trump, then the passenger is pretty much snookered, imo. Until my current booked cruise, I had never had a problem, never had been faced with 11 hours of arguing over a mistake a line had made and they did not want to make right, so I, like most everyone else, just went with the flow and had a good vacation. I'm seeing things a bit differently, now.
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Glenn Comunale

RE:Carol P, I really feel for those people I really do but let me tell you something Last month the wife and I ,SHIP-Noweign Dawn Flordia and Nassau, 35th anniversary, a gift from our children,second honneymoon on paradise Island etc,etc, Were at NCL's private Island down there and what happens just this letter on ours and everyone elses door.DUe to engine trouble we must unfortunally cancel our Nassau stop no Atlantis hotel,no shopping no second honneymoon stop, but quess what - life goes on you deal with it and I love my wife as much now as I did 35years ago even if I could not get down on one knee and propose all over again out at Paradise Island. Glad you got a laugh from my one and only attemp at being a Hollywood writer. see ya -Glenn
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you can get a travel brochure from your TA or ?? ...in the back of the brochures is a good list of the Cruise lines policy regarding delays or itinerary changes.

In Celebrity it is listed under Essential Information
In HAL it is listed under Details, Details, Important policies for your review...

I can't find my RCCI travel brochure, but I've seen it in the back of the brochure after you view all the itineraries and ship details. I can't remember what the heading is. Sorry.
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Sandra,
Information is in the back of the brochure under ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, subtitle "What about advanced or delayed sailings and changes in itinerary". It does state...
for ANY reason WHATSOEVER, RCI may at any time and WITHOUT prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or diviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call and may but is NOT obligated to substitute another ship or port of call and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests. Neither shall they be required to refund any portion of fare or other charges or make any compensation under these circumstances!

Post Edited (08-04-05 21:35)

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Sandra W

Thanks CA Cruiser. I think RCI policy is pretty clear.
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
nan59

I have heard just about enough. If you were on the cruise you would have understood. Basically, "DON'T CRITISIZE OTHERS UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED IN THEIR SHOES". You booked a trip to Canada. We did not. And, the ship was not well prepared for the switch. Nor were we! We were not in the Caribbean changing from one gorgious island to another. RCCL should refund/credit us for the difference. I almost took a cruise to Canada. It was 1/2 the price! All we want is our monies worth! And, you would too!
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you aren't interested in other peoples opinions why post at all?

If a person is only looking for support for what they already believe to be the hard facts...they should not go public 'cause you will ALWAYS find people with a different POV.

I'm fairly new to these websites, and there have been a few times that I have posted ideas or opinions that didn't agree with someone elses. But I also know that by posting them publicly I am inviting another view point, and that is ok.

There has also been a couple of times that I felt one way...and then after reading some of the comments on the threads...changed my mind.

If you only want people to agree with you...you should just complain to family and friends.

As for this thread...dispite your emotional response..I think many of the comments have been very well thought out and reasonable. They may not agree with yours...but you cannot doubt the logic of what they are saying.