Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Default Soverign of Seas RCCL vs Carnivale Inspiration

I have cruised on Carnivale Inspiration to Cozumel. Will I enjoy Soverign of the Seas RCCL to Nassau just as much? I am real concerned about the smaller size of the cabins on RCCL, as there will be three of us in one cabin. Help. Thanks.

Joyce
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Yes, the cabins are a little smaller. How much time are you in there other than sleeping or changing? The overall decor I find more pleasing on the Sovereign as well. The pool area is much nicer and bigger on the Sovereign also. I have been on the same itinerary on the Sensation that you are considering on the Inspiration. You will enjoy the day at Cococay more than wallowing around at sea on the tub called Inspiration. I have been on the Sovereign 5 times and will go again.

Any more questions? Go to the photo gallery and do a search for Dave the Wave and you can see my galleries of both. I also have reviews of the Sovereign and Sensation. Read them and weep.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the review dave.I will check out sovereign in july.
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Admiral

How many people are in your cabin? It is fine for 2 people but go ahead and book 2 cabins if there are more.

I loved SOS enough I have cruised her twice-but the second time we booked 2 inside cabins for the 3 of us. Wew found this was only $150 more then booking one oceanview cabin-we prefered the extra room to a window.

Sovereign is a very nice ship aqnd very attractive-I found Inspiration to be just plain ugly-although the cabin size and bathroom size is nice for 3 people. for me personally I would go for sovereign again or else book Carnival Miracle-I have cruised Carnival Miracle also-I would much rather cruise Miracle then Inspiration-but if that was more money then I could afford then I would go for SOS-she is a nice ship.

By the way we have been to Nassau several times-what we have loved best was this zoo in Nassau-preferred it to Atlantis and the aquarain-but then we do not gamble.

If you love the beach-the Hilton will let you use their beach for $10 a person which includes use of lawn chaises. It is within walking distance of the ship's docks.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Hi,

Appreciate your comparison of the two ships. I also appreciate your comments on Miracle, as I think she will be the next one in the future.

Cruising has opened up a whole new world for me.

Thanks.
Joyce
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I judge a ship, among other things, by the pool area. Look how confining, the placement of the lifeboats and the pool itself. It is like swimming in a well. The high sides, lack of splash area to lay around in and the FUGLY colors.

Now compare to this. No life boats blocking the view, the twin pools and much wider deck. The sundeck overhangs the ship allowing much more deck space. Nicer hot tubs and the planters with lives sago palms, ect... Where would you rather be??

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Here is a nother perspective of the pool area:

FUGLY

BEAUTIFUL

I also noticed a difference in the people onboard. Kinda like the difference between the guests at a Days Inn and at the Hilton. Don't mean to offend, just an observation.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Hi Dave:

Wow, those are great pics. I see what you mean about the pools. The last pic seems to show more bodies than pool. You are right, that is one fugly pool.

Thanks for the pointers.
Joyce
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Soverign of Seas RCCL vs Carnivale Inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Hutcheson
Hi Dave:

Wow, those are great pics. I see what you mean about the pools. The last pic seems to show more bodies than pool. You are right, that is one fugly pool.

Thanks for the pointers.
Joyce
Joyce I have no idea which ships those pictures were from but I can say SOS's pool area was about the same as Carnival Inspiration.

If you do cruise Miracle-you will love the pool area-they have two huge pools, one smaller adults only pool and a separate super slide area. I thought that ships was really nice and since I have read so many bad posts about Carnival conquest class ships there is no way I would do one of them-from what I understand the pool area is about the same but the donquest ships carrry 1000 more passengers so the pool area is not big enough. I have the same complaint though about the voyager class ships-the 3 pools were all small in size-I guess because there are things like rock climbing walls , minature golf, ice skating and inline skating that the designers saw no need for a nice pool area-the problem was on sea days that was where everyone was. So I guess the mega ships are not for me.

But back to SOS-I do beleive you can have just as good a time on her- if not better- then on Inspiration.
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Passenger

Hi Mo,

Very informative. I was not aware that the conquest class was having bad posts. Glad to know this. I must admit, I lean towards Carnivale because of the larger room size. I am very claustrophobic. I don't know if I could handle a smaller room.

Thanks.

Joyce
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Momofmeg,

Those pics are of the ships of the topic. You were on her twice. The Sovereign of the Seas (one of three lovely sisters) and the Sensation (one of 8 fugly sisters who differ only in color schemes)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Dave ..I noticed in your pool side comparision pictures, the young ladies sun bathing on the SOS had a much clearer definition..Is this because you used a 7.2 mega pixel digital camera for your SOS pool side shots and a polaroid brownie camera for your Carnival shots ?
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I got a new digital camera last May, you are right!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Admiral

I know carnival decor stinks if that what you mean Dave-I agree-except for the Miracle-that ship was a lot more attractive then the fanasty class- and if you mean Carnival ships being wells the fact-that there is not a shallow area about a foot deep all around and then a ladder to go down on the RCCL ships but steps you go down into 3 foot water on one end and 6 feet on water on the other end-on a carnival ship-I guess that is a matter of taste-I prefer neither pool really-one is as good as the other in my thinking-I just like one end to be under my head as I am not a great swimmer and I have no desire to jump in swimming.

Joyce-I finailly figured out what dave was talking about-Carnival shjips are more like the pools at a motel. the RCCL ships have a shallow area around 2 feet wide and one foot deep surrounding their pools-I never thought it was for looks but so if the ship is out to sea and rocking that some strong waves does not cause water from the pool to slosh everywhere. Carnival ships have the pools deeper and the water not filled as high to prevent that but there is still water on one end not over your head and deeper on the other end and steps on one end to get down in the pool so I guess that does not bother me.

Disney Wonder had her pools designed the same way as RCCL. I can't really remember how the HAL ship was or the Princess ship was that I was on-now I was on the old Pacific Princess and the set of Love Boat (the TV show)was identicial so I guess I could watch a Love boat rerun and tell you-and I can't really remember the design of carnival Miracle's pools except there were 2 big ones and one smaller adults' only and a superslide that was separate from the pools. I guess I do not pay so much attention to the pools that much just so I have a good time in the pool and it is not super crowded is what I care about. I t took me a couple of days to realize what Dave meant by "swimming in a well". I guess I need to watch some of our cruise videos to say how all the pools were designed.

But back to SOS- the inside stateroom is around 135 sq. feet-outside154 sq. feet and the Carnival fanasty class ship rooms are around 185 sq.ft inside or outside-but SOS is fine for 2 people-just book more cabins if you have more then 2 people. We did that -booked a second cabin for our daughter the second time we cruised her and it was only $150 more for 2 inside cabins then one outside cabin and we had 2 bathrooms and hubby and I had privacy-we felt this was worth $150 and much better then a window. SOS is a very pretty ship and has none of the ugly neon glitz of Inspiration and on SOS I felt the food was good quality-at least when I was on her-I would cruise her again.

Carnival Miracle was much more attractive then the Inspiration-I cruised the 2 ships 4 months apart and the differance was like night and day-the only neon glitz you see on the Miracle is some horrible fushia grapes in the dinning room which I felt were bad taste-a pale periwinkle for the grape's color would have looked much better-but outside of that-the ship looked nice.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Everyone needs to be sure that we compare apples for apples. The older carnival ships are without a doubt inferior to RCCL ships. I grew up cruising with my family thinking that carnival was the "party and trailerpark line". As a family we never cruised carnival. Today I have cruised Carnival many times in the past several years always on their newer ships. I must say proudly now that carnival is without a doubt my familys favorite line to cruise. It just seems that the cruisers have better attitudes in general and have less of a tendance to complaine. I will say that RCCL is a close second. We really enjoy them both in their own way.

Sail on, sail on
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Admiral

Hot Nail...great analogy