Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Default St. Lucia / Serenade

Hi, brneyes, I saw your post above about and wanted to let you know that we just came back from cruising on the Serenade and we went to St. Lucia. We did the "Island Delights" tour through the cruiseline, and it was FANTASTIC. Went to the volcano, drove to the rainforest side of the island, to the Botanical Garden, had a creole buffet lunch on the grounds in an old sugar mill, and had a great road trip through the villages. We really enjoyed this tour and the island is just beautiful. It can't decide if I liked St. Lucia the best, or St. John. Have fun on your cruise, you will love this ship.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, wine in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming..... WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Default St. Lucia

Thank you for replying back. That sounds like fun too. We can hardly wait, just a few more weeks and we will be there...............then unfortunately it will be all over.
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: St. Lucia

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
Thank you for replying back. That sounds like fun too. We can hardly wait, just a few more weeks and we will be there...............then unfortunately it will be all over.
Savor, savor, savor every moment.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Yes, I will savor "every moment", and that is why I take LOTS of pictures. They are/will be my MEMORIES forever
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Passenger

Hi,

St Lucia was GORGEOUS! I wish we had more time there. We will definitely go back as a land vacation, but it was a great cruise port. We did the pirate excursion with RCCL on the Brig Unicorn, which was one of the sailing ships used in the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a great excursion: we got to see the whole west side of the island from the sea, and went to a place called Pigeon Island (I think)--we had time to meander around there. On the way back we had a great time as well. We really enjoyed it.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
First Mate

Oooooooooooh, it is so hard to WAIT Just reading about it, makes me "excited." Then to top this off........having a balcony, which we had no clue at the beginning of booking of this, we would wind up with.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Passenger

We had a balcony and used it a lot, especially whe the captain sailed close to the Pitons. The balcony is a great place to have coffee, breakfast, drinks or nap! Have fun! I would go back in a heartbeat.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Beginner

Default some questions

please excuse my ignorance. we're first time cruisers and keep getting mixed messages from previous friends who have cruised, our travel agent and the cruise critics website - not to mention the RCI website.

Serenade of the Sea - South Caribbean - 7 day - mid April.
okay ...

lunch - tell me that they do not pack you a lunch if you request one when you leave the ship for the day ?

once at port, when are you allowed off the ship, and what time do they inisist you are back on the ship. i realize that the departure time is in and around 5pm, but does that mean that you have to be on the ship by 3pm 4pm?

the alcohol thing - they go through your luggage now and remove any wine you bring with you? *rolls eyes*
while on board - how is the wine selection?

food allergies - has anyone had experience with whom to speak with in regards to this?

passports - you hand in your passport once you get on the ship, they keep it, and you get it back when you get off the ship?

beds - are they really that bad to sleep on? i heard hard as a rock. i've read that the serenade is going to dry docks mid march for new beds, and to have some work done.

spa menu - anyone know where i can find a listing of what is available and the costs?

is there anywhere on board to get digital pictures developed OR transferred to a disk [to develope later} ?

thanks,
Es
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Mikethecat, I will try to answer a few of your questions, and perhaps someone else may be able to answer some of the rest.

First, what is ythe date of your cruise on the Serenade? We are sailing the 14th of April.

In regard to packing lunches to take off the ship, I don't believe so. Now if you want to eat before you leave the ship, or eat when you get back on, you can do that "anytime." There is always food available on the ship. You might be able to sneak off an apple or banana, but for a lunch, I don't think so.

As for time being back on the ship, I always allow a hour and half or two, before sailing. If you look at the Compass paper they give you every night, I believe it will tell you what time to be back on ship for that day.

Regarding passports, as far as I know, you show them, and then you keep them on your possession, or in your room.

Yes, I have already red where they have quite a few of the decks already taken care of with new bedding.

I hope this answers some of your questions.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Beginner

thanks for you answers, brneyes.

i believe we will be on the same cruise. we're leaving the metropolis of Toronto on April 14th for San Juan.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
lunch - tell me that they do not pack you a lunch if you request one when you leave the ship for the day ?
They will not pack a lunch for you. You could order something from room service and take baggies to put it in. But some ports forbid carrying food items off the ship.

Quote:
once at port, when are you allowed off the ship, and what time do they inisist you are back on the ship. i realize that the departure time is in and around 5pm, but does that mean that you have to be on the ship by 3pm 4pm?
The ship will make it very clear when "back on board by" time is. Normally 20 minutes prior to sailing.

Quote:
the alcohol thing - they go through your luggage now and remove any wine you bring with you? *rolls eyes*
while on board - how is the wine selection?
They won't go through your checked luggage, and if you bring wine on and want it served in the dining room they'll charge you a corkage fee. They do have a fairly large and diverse wine list available on the ship.

Quote:
food allergies - has anyone had experience with whom to speak with in regards to this?
If allergies are severe I'd get a hold of their special needs dept in Miami to discuss the issue. And also take to the Maitre D once onboard.

Quote:
passports - you hand in your passport once you get on the ship, they keep it, and you get it back when you get off the ship?
Being Canadian, I know they used to keep passports until the last day. The last couple of cruises in the Caribbean they didn't do it... so have to assume that's the new way.

Quote:
is there anywhere on board to get digital pictures developed OR transferred to a disk [to develope later} ?
For a cost (think it's @$15.95) the photo gallery will put your pics on CD from memory cards.

Serenade is a BEAUTIFUL ship. Enjoy!!
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

mikethecat, well who knows, maybe we will all "run" into each other on the 14th sailing.

As I did not know you were from Canada, maybe they do things different for the passports. I just knew that we kept them in our room/safe box.

Do you belong/register with the Crown & Anchor? Maybe we will see each other there.

Oh by the way, I met some wonderful people from Canada (I'm from the "heart" 8) of the United States, Missouri, or as they call our state.....The Show Me State , and once in a while we email to each other. I figured they had no clue where Missouri was, but then the man was telling me all kinds of things about Kansas City, that just blew my mind.