Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Default Going to Cozumel Beach on our own

I am probably going to have several posts before we leave on Sunday. I got preoccupied with my daughter's tonsillectomy and Christmas and now it's only a week away! Even though I'm a travel agent, we have never done the W. Caribbean itinerary before, always Eastern, so I have lots of questions. As far as Cozumel goes, when I read the shore excursion book, I'm just certain we can do this cheaper on our own, as we normally do. It shows that the Rhapsody takes the passengers to Playa Mia Beach. Should we go there on our own, or to a different beach? We like really white powdery sand and clear water (doesn't everybody?), calm water, and hopefully some good snorkeling just off shore a bit. You do get an open bar with the RCCL $28 package, and use of the water toys and floats, but I'm not sure how it would compare to do it on your own, because either way we have taxi fare.

Also, I am concerned about drinking drinks with the local ice in them at a beach bar. Should we just order bottled water and beer so there is no ice involved? I usually like something frozen, so is that out? Thanks!
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[color=darkblueActually the cost of booking that excursion through the cruiseline sounds like a decent price and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a taxi for the trip back...I'd still consider that.][/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Default Going to Cozumel beach on our own

Actually, for that particular excursion, it does not include the transportation; only the admission to a beach bar, some drinks, and some water toys. We would still have to get our own transportation by taxi. So I'm thinking that we can 1) avoid the herds of other cruise passengers if we find our own beach (they're going to Playa Mia), and 2) we can have more flexibility with our time, to come back to the ship when we want to, eat a late lunch in the Windjammer, and then do a little shopping. I'm thinking of Playa Uvas, but I'm wondering how it compares to Paradise Beach or Playa Corona. I was also thinking about getting a day pass to Melia Cozumel, but it's $40 a person and I didn't know if it would be worth it. OTOH, I could do a site inspection while I'm there for my agency.
Old December 31st, 2006, 06:22 PM
Passenger

We were at Playa Uvas 2 weeks ago and at Paradise Beach in April of 2005. Both were SO simple to take a taxi to. When you get off the ship, walk a little ways outside of the building of shops. There you will see lines of taxis. They have a sign posted how much it cost to go to each beach, so you know your driver can't "rip you off." It cost $12/taxi for Playa Uvas and Paradise Beach was about $15. (My husband paid, of course, so I honestly wasn't paying much attention to the cost--I think these are correct amounts, if not, they are close--remember they are "each way.")
The difference between the beaches is enormous. However, I liked them both. If you want to go snorkeling or glass bottom kayaking, by all means go to Playa Uvas. Everyone there was very nice. The beach is quite rocky. I would never suggest an elderly person go there who isn't real sure of their footing. The snorkeling was so much better than I had imagined.
Paradise Beach is great if you have kids. They have a water tramp, an iceberg thing you can climb, and the beach is very easy access.
Both have restaurants, decent bathrooms, etc.
Both Playa Uvas and Paradise Beach have great websites to give you prices.
In closing, everything I've heard about Playa Mia is that the Party Boats stop there, and it can get kind of loud and rowdy.
Hope this helps--I'll try to answer more specifically if you have any questions.
Old December 31st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel Beach on our own

Thanks for the info! Now I'm not sure about Playa Uvas. The snorkeling and clear kayak sounds great, but I really like beaches with nice soft sandy bottoms for a little ways out. Don't like rocks. Still not sure. They all sound nice, though. Thanks again!
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:10 AM
Admiral

TDM,

My advice to you is don't drink anything that doesn't come out of a can or a bottle. Don't take a chance even with ice cubes -- it isn't worth ruining your vacation over.

Have fun!

Dean