Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Anyone Ever Miss the Ship from Excursions?

Curious to hear from folks out there that did miss the ship from their excursions that were not ship sponsered. It's not something I've seen posted here. We know the ships wait for the excursions booked through them.

What did you do?
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Almost all of the excursion that we now take are NOT ship sponsored. I do my research (mostly over on cruise critic) and then book with the independent operator that I have chosen. There are a couple of places that I would not do that, though. Such as on the all day trip up the river in Belize. Independent operators know that we are their bread and butter and we talk! I have heard of times that there have been problems w/ boats, vans, etc., and the operators help each other out. I have NEVER heard of anyone missing the ship w/ a non-ship sponsored excursion. The people that I have heard of missing the ship haven't paid attention to local vs. ship's time, or they have been having too much fun at Carlos and Charlies!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
First Mate

We do one of three things when on our cruises.Either book on our own, rent a car or have often hired a driver for several hours. That is fun as you get to know what more of the locals are like.They will take you to non touristy type places. Once they took us to their home to meet his family. Very personable. You can ususally find one of the taxis at the pier and they are usually happy to take you for a day or half day tour very reasonably priced. But of course keep your eye on your clock.
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:32 PM
First Mate

We went to Progresso last month. My dh speaks Spanish so we thought we would try our own "shore excursion". We got a van driver to give us a ride to the ruins and to assure us he wouldn't take us out there and strand us, he said we could pay him when we got back. Worked great for us!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
First Mate

Default Missing the boat/cruise ship

What I do is I normally check out the schedule ahead of time, and see how long we will be in port. Then I start checking out different websites for tours, etc. I know I have to give myself leave way for going/coming to the ship.

Also, if you decide to go with a Taxi, check with them "ahead" of time. In otherwords, check with them on prices of what you want to do/see before the Taxi takes off. Then you will know the cost "upfront
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Passenger

It can happen even on a tour booked through the cruise line. We took a tour that went to Tulum and than Xelha. The tour guide mentioned that everyone needed to be back from the Xelha visit by a certain time so that we could link back up with the cruise ship. Three people from the tour were missing at the designated time. He did go out looking for the three people and only found one person. We ended up leaving the other two people. I am not sure if they made it back to the ship or had to fly into the next port.
Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) 3/01 -Southern Caribbean
Song of America (RCCL) 10/90 -Western Caribbean
MTS Jupiter (Epirotiki) 7/84 -Mediterranean
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

In Alaska there were a couple of people who had gone on a fishing trip and didn't get back in time. The boat they were on chased the ship and eventaully caught up with it. The ship never stopped but it did slow down and somehow the people got on the ship by jumping from the fishing boat to the ship. Pretty interesting actually.

Constellation
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Passenger

I sawing five people running to the cruise ship when we were getting ready to sail from Aruba at 1AM.

One passenger was left behind in the port of St. Marten. An expensive lesson. This passenger had to find a flight to the next port of call that was two days away. I hope he had his passport with him.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Passenger

It is difficult to get left behind by Princess. I have see the ship wait up to 45 minutes for late passengers. It's fun to be on deck as they run to get onboard. The verbal hazing from the rest of us who got back on time is a great deterrent to it ever happening again.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Beginner

February 2006 I was on a cruise that had two passengers, that weren't on a ship-sponsored excursion, return to the ship on time. The captain left them behind (after waiting 20 minutes and trying to locate them). They had to find their own transporation to our next port.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
First Mate

That's horrible, I thought if it was sponsered......they would not leave.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
That's horrible, I thought if it was sponsered......they would not leave.
Royal, I think she meant that the weren't on a ship sponsored excursion and didn't make it back in time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Passenger

We were on a ship sponsored excursion and we left two passengers in Xel Ha in Mexico.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by world_traveler_et
We were on a ship sponsored excursion and we left two passengers in Xel Ha in Mexico.
What happened? Did they get separated from your group somewhere?The rest of you made it back, so where were the other 2?
Mark Twain

Old March 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Passenger

I thought I read on RC's website that they are not responsible for delays when you do book with them. It could have been the air-fare????? I can't get the website from here right now, I will check on that later. I may have seen it in my cruise docs???
Oh well, I'm sure someone will correct me.
We were sitting at a bar in Cost Maya a couple of years ago discussing how easy it would be to set your watch back one hour instead of ahead and really be 2hours off. I looked down and my watch said 1pm we were to leave there at 3pm. Just about that time I heard the ship's horn blow?
The only other ship in town that day was the Grandure and it was leaving at 8pm. Well, we ran so hard to make that ship in time, as we went thru the gates we saw the ship still there. We kept running and running and then I noticed that people were still getting off the ship! We got on the ship and asked what time it was, they said 1:15pm and we were not leaving until 3:00pm. I asked why they sounded the horn, they said it was the other ship doing some kind of a practice????
I will never forget that sinking feeling of being STUCK in Costa Maya!
It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't laughed at our table mates for being left in Key West a couple of days earlier! My husband said I was so wrong for making fun of them I guess that I shouldn't have video taped them huh?
Anyway, we never play around with the time when in the ports.
Happy Cruising!
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you insist on booking your own excursion with an island vendor, remember you pay your money and take your chances...on not getting back to the ship in time and being left behind.

It's pretty high risk to trust that a taxi (that typically is not well maintained) won't break down. Or that you won't fall asleep on a beach after being dropped off in the afternoon, cutting it too close to getting back to the ship. Basically, IF you're going to book some excursion NOT through the cruise line, do it in the morning for only a half day. And do your research well ahead of boarding the ship, make reservations if you can. The reputable vendors will do this. Otherwise, have fun waving at the ship

We book excursions through the cruise line, so we are guaranteed getting on the ship, even if the excursion is late getting back to the pier. The ship will wait for excursions booked through them.
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Just a suggestion, I normally take a timer along with me. That way if I am on the beach, and I fall asleep , I will have the timer to wake me up.

This is another way to keep from missing the "boat."