Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Default St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. John & Barbados

We are cruising to several islands, and I would like to know if you have ever been on any of their beaches, and if so, which one would you recommend?

Once you are on the island, what was your transportation to the beaches, was there a cost, and did it take very long to get there?
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
First Mate

Default St. Thomas/St. John

We went to Cinnamon Bay on St. John. These were the transportation costs for a family of four (if I recall correctly, these figures include tip, but I'm not 100% sure)

St. Thomas Four People

Taxi to Red Hook $40.00
Ferry to Cruz Bay $20.00
Taxi to Cinnamon Bay $28.00
Taxi return to Cruz Bay $28.00
Ferry to Red Hook $20.00
Taxi to ship $40.00

Total: $176.00

We got a later start than we planned, enjoyed the beach, and made it back to the ship in plenty of time - but it did not leave much time for shopping.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM
First Mate

dlm2005, I'm sorry, but I'm a little confuesed.

You said you went to Cinnamon Bay on St. John's, and then gave cost of transportation for St. Thomas. Are they one and the same island? I thought they were two different islands. Were the cost that you quoted for going to both of the islands, and if so, how far was the island/s from the ship/shore?
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
First Mate

dlm2005, I noticed that it looked like you sailed the Serenade of the Seas ship last year? If so, what did you think of the ship, pros/cons?
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
First Mate

The first taxi is from the docks at Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook, a town on the other side of St. Thomas. You take the ferry from there to Cruz Bay on St. John. A taxi/Jittney will take you there to the beach of your choice. Then just reverse the order.

If your timing is right, you can also take a different ferry back from Cruz Bay directly to Charlotte Amalie. While the ferry takes a little longer than the one to Red Hook, once you are back on St. Thomas its only a 5 min. taxi back to the docks.

The ship was wonderful. Our only point of comparison was our honeymoon cruise over 20 years back on one on NCL's ships. We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 and our kids had an interior cabin directly across the hall. Everything was so wonderful I almost hesitate to try any other ship. It’s been almost a year and I still think about it every day.

Other than St. John, we did the America Cup Race in St. Maarten, visited English Harbor and Shirley Heights in Antigua, took Cosol’s tour of St. Lucia, and the Silver Moon Catamaran trip in Barbados.

I think you’d have to try real hard not to have a great time on this itinerary. I only wish we had one more sea day to enjoy the ship. (and that we could afford to go again this year!)

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. John & Barbados

brneyes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are cruising to several islands, and I would like to know if you have ever been on any of their beaches, and if so, which one would you recommend?

Once you are on the island, what was your transportation to the beaches, was there a cost, and did it take very long to get there?
If there's a "shore excursion" that consists of a catamaran to a beach with lunch and beverages, take it! In particular, there are two that I recommend very highly.

>> In Barbados, the Five Star Catamaran with Lunch is outstanding.

>> In St. Thomas, the Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John admittedly is not cheap, but it is worth every penny of its price.

On both of these excursions, a large and very stable sailing catamaran picks you up at the cruise ship pier, takes you to very nice sandy but well secluded beaches where there are seldom locals, serves a decent lunch while you are at the beach, and brings you back to the ship. Beverages of your choice are included, and available throughout the excursion. Both excursions also provide opportunites for snorkeling if you wish.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM
First Mate

DLM2005, I'm sort of off the subject a little, but I do appreciate you and "others" that responded back.

It sounded like you really like the Serenade of the Seas, but you did mention the NCL. I'm curious, did you like it? The reason I ask is we went on the "brand new" Star a couple years ago, and to say the least, we (there were "many" that felt the same way) we would never go back on that ship or use that cruise line. It was probably because of the "freestyle" they have.

I never heard so many "complaints" :evil: at the Purser's desk, as I did on that ship.
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello....I've been to all of these great islands and if you decide to stay in St. Thomas I would recommend Sapphire Beach...if you can you should try to take taxi with othe people because the cost of the ride will be cheaper. Sapphire Beach is gorgeous and if you like watersports they do offer them. Another great beach in St. Thomas is Meagans Bay...it's very beautiful but over-rated, I was expecting a little more that what it was...this beach doesn't offer any watersports. St. Johns is gorgeous my husband and I got married on Hawksnest Beach in St Johns six-years ago...it's a nice beach for snorkeling and laying on the beach but doesn't offer any watersports. I would also recommend doing the Champagne Catamaran in St. Thomas that goes over to St. Johns, it offers snorkelilng, a visit to the beach, drinks, and it's well worth the price.

In Barbados we didn't get the chance to go to the beach but if you like horseback riding....I highly recommend the horseback riding excursion we had a wonderful time...we where on the highest peak in Barbados which was gorgeous even got to see the cruise ships from a har. We had the opportunity to ride near the golf course that Tiger Woods got married at which was very cool. I'm sure that whatever you decided to do you will enjoy. Have a great cruise!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
First Mate

brneyes:

NCL was over 20 years ago, so it's hard to say. It was only a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas and back but we loved it. Cruising has changed so much any comparisons would be unfair. All I can say is that if I had the chance, I'd be back on the Serenade tomorrow. (I'm certianly not waiting another 20 years!)

Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
First Mate

JessicC, you said you were at the "highest" peak at Barbados, and the VIEW was great? How did you get there, by Taxi or what?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked the excursion through Royal Caribbean, that's the cruiseline we went on last year. The excursion consisted of transportation too and from the horse ranch. We took a air-conditioned van to the horse ranch, and got to see some of the most beautiful sites of Barbados.

Jessie
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
First Mate

That sounds awesome. Maybe we can do something like that "next" time.