CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Vacations To Go.com (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/333658-vacations-go-com.html)

Mike L May 23rd, 2007 03:50 PM

Vacations To Go.com

Has anyone booked a cruise with vacationstogo.com? If so are they a reputable firm? :-?

Irish Shark May 23rd, 2007 04:37 PM

I used them once as they were the best price. No issues and service was great.

Mike L May 23rd, 2007 05:03 PM

Vacations To Go.com

Thanks for the reply and positive response!

skymaster May 24th, 2007 10:38 AM

I too have used VTG from time to time, and had no problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in the future. Good prices, and good service.

Ken

cruisingks May 25th, 2007 03:27 AM

Good to hear that you have all had positive experiences with vacations to go. Am considering using them myself. Reading this has made me feel more comfortable!

thanks!
karen

cruisingks May 31st, 2007 11:53 AM

Just booked our cruise with vacationstogo. The agency had been recommended to me by several people. Susan, our agent, was great helping to select a cabin, price and when my parents called to book their cruise, she had everything lined up for them. Smooth sailing the whole way.
Confirmation arrived just a bit ago and everything was exactly how we wanted.

No complaints! Hope this helps.

karen

Dutchman June 3rd, 2007 08:30 AM

They do have a great site for checking military prices for all cruise lines.
Easy to use. We used them one time for the Grandeur. No problems.

Seasail June 4th, 2007 10:53 AM

Don't see any advantage at all for using them. Their prices for Royal Caribbean are the same as booking with Royal Caribbean directly. I've heard too that you have a heck of a time getting a lower price if cruise drops.

estreetbandfan523 June 4th, 2007 12:53 PM

i have used them for all 3 of my cruises and all three times got a good price and excellent service, i highly reconmend them, especially if u can book last min, i got my first cruise for extremely cheep for a balcony on the 9th deck because of them, plus if u use them several times they will get you on-board credit

DonD June 8th, 2007 06:34 PM

I have found their website extremely easy to navigate.

UncleKG November 26th, 2008 09:19 AM

I will not use Vacations to Go again.

While very helpful, six hours after booking with them, I found the same cruise for $50 cheaper per person on CruiseDeals.com.

While they advertise "Best Price," due to the fact that I didn't bring up the price at the time of booking, I was told I was out of luck as far as them matching the better price.

While it was my fault for not doing more checking ahead of time, I had read good things about Vacations to Go and assumed they had the best prices.

Long story short? Check CruiseDeals.com first. It would have saved me $100.

beentravelin November 26th, 2008 09:45 AM

The lowest price is not always the best deal. Service means alot too. Be careful using a lesser known booking agency in these tough economical times. Several booking sites have closed shop and then your forced with trying to get your money back and rebooking. VTG has been in business a while and does offer some great prices. I have used them in the past and was very pleased. They even had a bottle of champagne waiting in our room once (complimentary of course).

UncleKG November 26th, 2008 10:55 AM

I believe CruiseDeals.com is a legit site as well, are they not? I didn't say not to use VacationstoGo, I said to check CruiseDeals.com first.

Also, speaking of customer service, would it not have been a great goodwill gesture on VTG's part to say, "Hey, we do pride ourselves on having the best price. Even though it was your mistake, we're going to honor the better price and hope you'll spread the word," which I would have.

As I've often heard said about the restaurant business. "If the food is good, your customers will tell two people. If the food is bad, they'll tell 10."

Robbie H November 26th, 2008 02:28 PM

As a franchise holder with another company, I can say that I had some training with 2 employees from "VTG" and they were superb. We even joked that I still used their site sometimes for research (due to the ease of navigation). I also agree that cheapest isn't always the best value but that's what makes it great about sharing information on the boards.

paul1815 December 5th, 2008 09:19 AM

Cruises Only is also a good firm

Used them years ago...and just now again.

Pattizoo December 7th, 2008 12:06 AM

I have used VTG for 3 different cruises and they have been wonderful. We even discovered a $200 on board credit when we checked in on our first cruise- and this was after finding ourselves with a balcony when we had booked an inside guarantee! Twice, our bookings required coordinating with other parties and this was also done without a hitch.

VERSED240 December 14th, 2008 05:58 PM

Why book with them when you can get the same price directly. If the price goes down then you ask for a reduction and they will credit your credit card STAT. I got my money back right away.

Kuki December 14th, 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VERSED240
Why book with them when you can get the same price directly. If the price goes down then you ask for a reduction and they will credit your credit card STAT. I got my money back right away.

If you booked directly with the cruise line you likely paid more than you could from quite a variety of different travel agencies.

VERSED240 December 14th, 2008 07:20 PM

I have checked out all those cruise specials on all the sites and I have never found anything cheaper. I guess I must not be looking at the correct places.

scapel December 25th, 2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:

Originally Posted by VERSED240

If you booked directly with the cruise line you likely paid more than you could from quite a variety of different travel agencies.

I agree with this statement and also you can get a better cabin selection with a good TA. Apparently the cruise line is prevented from giving you a better deal than the TA.
Rennaissance would not work with Travel Agents except American Express and went out of business because of this. Their product (ships) were good, but the management was poor.

Rick December 25th, 2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seasail
Don't see any advantage at all for using them. Their prices for Royal Caribbean are the same as booking with Royal Caribbean directly. I've heard too that you have a heck of a time getting a lower price if cruise drops.

Exactly right. Same price as if you call Royal Caribbean and book it directly through Royal Caribbean Customer Service yourself. We did use a TA when we first started cruising. While sitting in the office, the TA called the cruise line to get the price :roll: I may not be the smartest cookie in the jar, but I did realize I could have done that :wink: A few months before our cruise the price dropped 100 dollars per person. NO the TA did not call to tell us this.... we saw it at the Cruise Lines website. This was on a Thursday - called our TA and she was off until Monday. We called the cruise line and they said that since we had a TA, they could not help us and we would have to go through our TA to initiate getting the lower fare. On the following Monday our TA was back but the price had gone back up :evil:

I know that some will probably say that they have the greatest TA in the world and thats fine. For us, WE like to have control over our reservations and have never had a problem getting the lower fare when/if the price drops.....just a quick phone call. We have always found the Cruise Lines Reservations representatives to very helpful in getting us what we want and always there to answer questions after we book.

Please understand that I am not saying that TA's are outdated. BUT if you think you are getting a better price and better service by using a TA, think again.

scapel December 25th, 2008 05:37 PM

I booked a cruise aboard a Celebrity ship. I thought I would get a discount, but the agent said they could not sell the cruise cheaper than the TA.
I wanted a particular cabin but Celebrity aboard ship could not get it.
I booked the trip, but later got my TA and she got the cabin I wanted and I had the booking transferred. I had a $200 ship board credit for booking the cruise on board. My TA got that ship board credit for me also, charged me the same thing that Celebrity on board was charging and got the cabin I wanted. Made the Celebrity agent mad, but I think I got the better deal.

toly January 1st, 2009 11:33 AM

The travel agents are right when they say they are not allowed to discount cruise lines like RCCL and Celebrity, may be some other ones. But a good TA can give you onboard credit, or free insurance etc. I always get it from my agent. If somebody wants, e-mail me and I will give you his e-mail.

Rick January 1st, 2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toly
The travel agents are right when they say they are not allowed to discount cruise lines like RCCL and Celebrity, may be some other ones. But a good TA can give you onboard credit, or free insurance etc. I always get it from my agent. If somebody wants, e-mail me and I will give you his e-mail.

Whenever someone operating a business, for profit, uses words like "give you" and "free" , my right hand automatically goes to my back pocket to make sure my wallet is still there. LOL LOL LOL

toly January 1st, 2009 10:43 PM

Rick, it is a smart way of running a business. It is always better to lose a part of a profit to customer who would appreciate it and will come back, than to lose the whole profit to competition. Why do you think I keep the same TA for many years? Easy: because I always get a little something when I book.